curious how much ponies i got without dynoing..lol

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well you will loose HP with the 4.10's
Also it looks like you have big diameter wheels... HP loss there as well.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
how do u lose Hp with changing of gears?
A dyno doesn't actually measure horsepower. It uses resistance to measure torque, and then calculates horsepower using this formula:

HP = TQ * RPM / 5252

(That's why dyno curves cross at 5,252 rpm)

Different gear ratios will result in slightly different resistance on the rollers, which will in turn cause the hp to change.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It can certainly help.

True, it certainly doesn't "hurt". I'm just more concerned with ETs since that determines the outcome. I've beat several guys that trapped at a higher speed and then whined that they "technically" won because they were going faster through the traps. Hell, one guy even tried to argue that same point with the timeslip booth lady and then came looking for me wanting to trade timeslips (winners get the legible copy at SRP).

nmeofdst82

STY RMY
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
hahahaha

I mean like...does it really frickin matter if he won or not, it ain't like its Florida 2000 all over again and the fate of the country is at stake! LOL

Damned hanging chads on his Trap Speed..hahaha

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
I've beat several guys that trapped at a higher speed and then whined that they "technically" won because they were going faster through the traps. Hell, one guy even tried to argue that same point with the timeslip booth lady and then came looking for me wanting to trade timeslips (winners get the legible copy at SRP).
Sounds like a bunch of highly intelligent individuals. :bs:

Reminder to self: Self, don't go race at that track because you might end up killing a retard. :evil:

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
Well you will loose HP with the 4.10's
Also it looks like you have big diameter wheels... HP loss there as well.

Agreed.. yesterday was my first try at the 4.10s (mod I should have ..don long ago). It like a different animal to me now, but though my F'ed up starts It looks like my 60 HAS gotten better, but my MPH went down. I never really thought of it but I dont know if that is something I really wanted. The 4.10s are not that bad.. but it feels different in a good way with the procharger. If its a B for me to control with that I dont know how you guys with TS do it with more TQ in the lower rpm.. haha.

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
how do u lose Hp with changing of gears?

A printout dyno sheet will reflect a loss. That's one reason most racers don't care about what something dyno's. It's what it runs that matters. Lighter flywheel, wheels, driveshaft etc. will magically deliver unto you more HP as well....

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
GIG4FUN;74032 It's what it runs that matters. Lighter flywheel said:
magically[/I] deliver unto you more HP as well....

I got all that and I still run like shit :kill:

Joach

forum member
Reaction score
A dyno doesn't actually measure horsepower. It uses resistance to measure torque, and then calculates horsepower using this formula:

HP = TQ * RPM / 5252

(That's why dyno curves cross at 5,252 rpm)

Different gear ratios will result in slightly different resistance on the rollers, which will in turn cause the hp to change.

If I then understand if correct, I have three different BAMA tune-files, I should go for the 'torque' tune during the dyno in order to get maximum HP number...?? Or will it be the same using any of the other tune-files?

(will most likely dyno tomorrow, for benchmark, and then remove the 'huge' exhaust....)

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
If I then understand if correct, I have three different BAMA tune-files, I should go for the 'torque' tune during the dyno in order to get maximum HP number...?? Or will it be the same using any of the other tune-files?

(will most likely dyno tomorrow, for benchmark, and then remove the 'huge' exhaust....)
No, not really. If I recall correctly, Doug's torque tunes provide more low end torque at the expense of a little top end hp. It's torque that gets a car moving... not peak horsepower.

To be honest, I have never understood why getting the "maximum HP number" is even a concern or a goal. Unless the car is just a dyno queen. I prefer the car to run strong from a dead stop at WOT, which typically requires maximizing the area under both curves at all points on the dyno graph, and not being concerned with a single peak number at one specific rpm (like 6500... where one rarely drives anyway).

But to each his own...

Joach

forum member
Reaction score
To be honest, I have never understood why getting the "maximum HP number" is even a concern or a goal.

So I can sell my oversized exhaust system to some ignorant fool..... basis on the HP! :samuri:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back