Decel surging, part throttle surging and labored revving. Any help appreciated.

apd252

forum member
Reaction score
Car is a 14 gt tvs (9 lbs) 6r80. Has had this problem as long as I can remember. If I rev the engine while in neutral it sounds very labored. While decelerating it will hunt for idle. At part throttle it has a definite surge. No matter what I do it shifts 1 to 2 at or below 6500 rpms at the track.

I was told it was a vacuum leak so I smoked the engine more than twice with no visible leaks. Changed out O2 sensors with no change. Swapped CAI with no change.

Car runs great otherwise. Turns good times (10.4 @ 135) but these problems are there and they are really annoying now.

I just dont know what to check now. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

deebo05

forum member
Reaction score
sounds like the tune is off a bit in the torque and torque inverse tables

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds tune related to me.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tune or crappy electronics in the throttlebody. The monoblades are known for causing issues.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tune or crappy electronics in the throttlebody. The monoblades are known for causing issues.

Yea, I have one, however, probability is tune since it started from when he "has had it for as long as he can remember" the mono blades cause issues over time IME

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Every one i have seen craps out from the time its installed or they are just too finicky to tune.

apd252

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. The throttle body is the one that came with the roush kit. I took all the parts from a 2011 gt and put them on this car. It didnt have any problems on the 2011.

The car is not tuned by jpc. That was the 2011 before i put the tvs on it. I had lund tune both cars with the tvs.

Lund sent multiple tune revisions to try and combat these problems. Nothing seemed to work.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
do you have catch can(s) on the car?

if you do, check those for leaks as well?

I had a similar issue, also Lund Tuned, got multiple revisions, turned out I had left the pepcock open on the catch can, closed it and things got a lot better.

apd252

forum member
Reaction score
I had a jlt catch can on it. I have taken that off. No change.

At first Ken was tuning the car but, Jon has for most of it. Last revision I got was number 26.

apd252

forum member
Reaction score
Well, it's not the throttle body electronics. I put a new one on it and it still has all the same symptoms.

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
How about the bypass valve not working anymore?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
As for the throttle issue that's a good one considering you have replaced the TB. The foot pedal is responsible (obviously) for generating the command output to the PCM for actual throttle position. If you were to datalog actual position and commanded position along with RPM it may shed some light on your throttle issue, or at least be some benefit to someone better versed in that area. There are a number of items in the Drive by Wire and Throttle Body sections of the Live-link Gen II datalog PIDS to choose from that could be used to better look at the TB system as a whole electrically.

I have been learning from my tuner about shifting and how it works in the newer mustangs (11-14). The PCM has two things it looks at when making a shift. The MPH for that specific shift and the RPM. RPM however trumps all in the shift, so therefore if MPH is not met and RPM is it will shift as I understand it. Further the shift has to be anticipated by the tuner which takes some time to dial in many 6R80 cases. Better to sneak up on it than set it and then hit hard rev limit. We finally have my car shifting between 7100-7300 at WOT in 1-2,2-3,3-4 shifts. To do that MPH shift had to be massaged as well as toying with the RPM shiftpoint. If you log the commanded shift and compare it to RPM when you see that actual shift take place (along with MPH) you will see what I am talking about. Though the shifts are electronic there is still the mechanical motion of the solenoid fighting against pressure that has to take place in order to make the shift. That causes a delay. And the faster you go the earlier this has to be anticipated. Lund hopefully takes time to explain things like this with you over the phone as my tuner does. IT helps to better understand what is happening.

A third item in the process which will effect shifting as well overall is tire rotation per mile. This needs to be set correctly to begin with or shifts can be too high or low regardless of what the tuner does in the other settings. This can be also used to raise or lower your shift points while at the track if needed by increasing or decreasing the rot per mile value in your SCT tuner against the calculated rot per mile your tire is. (Assuming the tuner leaves that option open for you in your tune). Example - you are running a 325/45/17 MT DR, and the rotation per mile is 725. If you wish to lower the overall shift points of the car at the track you can lower that number to say 720. If you wish to raise overall shift points you raise that number. Trust me it works. Just remember to change it back if you are driving the car home so it properly recalculates the speedo.

last if you don't have a vacuum boost gauge I'd get one. Vacuum is a nice thing to know when problems begin to arise with age. Then you know if you are wasting time with smoke or other means of seeking out vacuum leaks.

Hope this helps. I'm still learning and I ask tons of questions from my guy every week.

Keep the thread updated. I'm interested to know you resolve since I am running a 14 auto as well. Never know when a similar related item may creep up. AND NICE ET BTW! WOW!

Last edited:

apd252

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you very much. I will log those parameters and see what it says. I will post the fix if i find it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back