dimmer trigger wire

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
On my head unit, the night/day feature is set to automatic (Android Auto). So whenever my headlights come on, or I turn my wipers on, the head unit/google maps switches to night mode. The dimmer trigger wire that it's hooked up to goes to the wiper switch I believe.

However, living in Florida, I use my wipers a lot when it's bright and sunny out. When the map goes into night mode, it's almost useless when it's sunny out. I want it to only switch into night mode when my headlights are on.

Assuming the trigger wire receives a +12v signal to indicate ON or night mode (I will test this with a meter), can I just tap into the trigger wire on the headlight switch instead? My headlights stay on automatic, so would the photo sensor trigger wire to headlight switch be a better place to tap into? I believe the sensor is the little grey bubble in the center of the dash at the bottom of the windshield?

DieHarder

Reaction score
Not sure why the trigger wire for the dimming function would go to a wiper switch. It should go to the headlight switch as you surmise (you'll probably have to splice it in). Use a VOM to find a +12v wire in the headlight switch (when you switch it on) and test by connecting the trigger wire. If it dims the head unit as expected make the splice and button things up. Any online electrical manual for your year should have a page on the lighting circuit if you need it.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Not sure why the trigger wire for the dimming function would go to a wiper switch.

wipers on, headlights on.

when my wiper motor was malfunctioning, it was causing the night/day feature to go crazy on my head unit. I'm not exactly sure how that circuit is laid out, haven't had a chance to look it up yet. I think i'll probe the wires coming out of the photo sensor first, it's right behind the head unit.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Actually, I was mistaken. There is some kind of trigger wire that turns the gauge cluster lights to day or night. That's what I want to tap into.

I was driving through a rainstorm the other day and it was bright and then it wasn't and then it was bright again. The wipers were on the entire time, but the gauge cluster lights went from day to night to day. Bit the head unit stayed in night mode the entire time.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back