Door Panel Leather Re-do

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Follow up on mine......FAIL! Didn't last. On the search for a newer panels or (gag) buy new from Ford.

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
little update, the drive side is still looking great! I had to do the passenger side today and looks just the same!

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for months for a pair of replacement panels with no luck.

I am going to try using either 3M Hi-Tack 76 Spray Adhesive or 3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive. Both are rated as high heat resistant. If that doesn't work I don't know what I'll do. Scream probably.

I'm gonna try to get some of the #76. Sounds better suited to my needs.

http://www.acfcom.com/product_profiles/3M_bonding/3M-bond_main.htm

Last edited:

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
IMO the hard part isn't finding the glue, it's making the material look right as soon as the glue starts to set in. Mine glued well but it looks ok not perfect.

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
Soneone should make a templet so people without the leather could do it...

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
You'd probably be better off just making one on your own with paper. It's not hard but when you remove the foam stuff it leaves excess material on the edges and so that makes it hard to tuck back in, and look right.

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
You'd probably be better off just making one on your own with paper. It's not hard but when you remove the foam stuff it leaves excess material on the edges and so that makes it hard to tuck back in, and look right.

I don't know how to work on cars though...

Dreadknought

HOON MONSTER
Reaction score
This reminds me when I tried to cover my old mustangs interior with red suede a few years back. It looked pretty good save for the door panel my buddy tried to help me with and butchered it. But I didn't use high heat stuff and summer came around and the material started to bubble off. Never got to fix it before it got repo'd. I have a new idea for that. Maybe sometime in the future I can find the time to do this...

http://www.stangtv.com/features/car...-dollar-mustang-built-better-stronger-faster/ Thats the most awesome and elegant interior I've ever seen for an S197. Very tastefull.

Imatk

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks for this writeup man!

I followed your instructions and was ready to go within an hour!

Crap I just saw the posts where everyone was saying it didn't last... damn :(

Hah EDIT AGAIN... I saw that the original material IS holding up so hopefully I'm good to go!

Last edited:

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
3m spray adhesive would be your best bet. I use to make speaker boxes back in the day, and this stuff works great for holding down anything. Just make sure you let it tack up before you lay down the leather.

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
3m spray adhesive would be your best bet. I use to make speaker boxes back in the day, and this stuff works great for holding down anything. Just make sure you let it tack up before you lay down the leather.

Make sure you get the extra stength one though, summers heat will do a number on it if not.

Danie

Reaction score
I will be trying this method out this weekend. Wish me luck. Another FL victim haha

Danie

Reaction score
Awesome to hear that! Lee's05GT I have the exact GT, color and interior :)

Danie

Reaction score
Ok, I did this on Saturday and had a difficult time with the Weldwood. So, I turned to 3M 90 which worked beautifully! The Weldwood would not get sticky enough to hold the material. It almost seemed like it wouldn't dry quick enough. However, it did make the foam backing more of a solid state so the 3M 90 would adhere to the door panel material. The door looks better than my driver's side door that was done from the factory. Im sure it's only a matter of time before that one comes off to. Warning, 3M 90 is very toxic and dries VERY fast. Wear gloves and be ready to work fast. I used 3M 90, gloves, a plastic bristle brush to wipe away particles from the foam, a small puddy knife and flat head screw driver to pop the edges back into place. If you get any of the glue on the plastic of the door don't freak... it peels right off after it dries. This worked extremely well for me. No bubbles to work through and no creases.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back