Door Panel Leather Re-do

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
I am not sure how you guys are getting yours to look good when you remove the foam. I have not done this yet, but I am sure, that with out the foam, the material will be too loose. I am still not sold on this method yet

isthatguy

forum member
Reaction score
im redoing mine this weekend, gonna use a marine vinyle that looks like leather, ill post pics when done

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
metoo picking up a real dark blue, at joanns, gonna also putb a stripe in my shift boot with same color. its going on my sonic blue
ok, now I def want pics! Joanns? Like the fabric store? I think I have one of those near by.

isthatguy

forum member
Reaction score
84ae2a1d.jpg

here it is

isthatguy

forum member
Reaction score
started the shift boot... blue goes nice with black

39833bf2.jpg

the blue is in the middle where the stitched part is

isthatguy

forum member
Reaction score
Took the seams off the original shift boot, not just sewing this on top, trying to male is as oem looking as possible. If we just stitch on top u would see the edges of the blue fabric

Danie

Reaction score
I am not sure how you guys are getting yours to look good when you remove the foam. I have not done this yet, but I am sure, that with out the foam, the material will be too loose. I am still not sold on this method yet

I left the foam on mine, even after I attempted the first time, pull it apart again to use a different adhesive and it still looks great! :)

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
got a door panel done

b4891e97.jpg

. It’s looking great! I removed my pleather and wanted to lay suede to match my headliner instead. I already removed the pleather down to the plastic, how did you ensure there were no wrinkles? Did you do a section (1/4, ½, center) at a time ? Did you glue center to outside? Precut pieces? Just trying to make sure I don’t mess it up lol.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

isthatguy

forum member
Reaction score
make sure u get some new padding. i used a memory foam material...

started middle and worked my wat from there.

traced thre old pattern on the new material, but gave it a lil more length arpund edges to allow for mistakes, remember u can always trim after its glued down, better to have too much than not enough.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58472

silverhorseGT06

forum member
Reaction score
Great write up! A buddy of mine with an '06 Vert is going to need to do this, and I will most likely be helping, with the aid of this DIY! Thanks for posting this OP!

AustinGT

Reaction score
Did mine last night. At first it would not stick but I don't think I let it pre-dry long enough. This morning there were some air bubbles but I pressed them out and it is holding great as of now.

Be careful driving right after using it though. Those fumes are pretty strong.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
I have done mine with the contact cement and also a tube of fabric glue from Hobby Lobby. (forgot the name) With the contact cement, it doesnt stand a chance in this Texas heat. With the fabric glue, the driver's side panel is holding in there. The passenger side, which I did about 2 months prior to the driver's side, is starting to separate again. FML.

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have done mine with the contact cement and also a tube of fabric glue from Hobby Lobby. (forgot the name) With the contact cement, it doesnt stand a chance in this Texas heat. With the fabric glue, the driver's side panel is holding in there. The passenger side, which I did about 2 months prior to the driver's side, is starting to separate again. FML.

I dont see how so many people are having trouble with it sticking, its been a little over a year since I did mine and it has no signs of coming off or bubbling what so ever. Even with all this hot ass weather and humidity down in south GA im surprised after two summers it has not started to come off yet. Its holding up very well.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back