Door Panel Leather Re-do

07calspecial

forum member
Reaction score
The guys here said they have to order a whole new piece and that is why it costs so much. They said to do it right it all has to come off and be re done. And still arguing with me it's real leather. On the plus side I just stopped by home depot. It was closer than wal Mart and got the cement and a few brushes. I got a hard plastic bristle to remove the foam heading over to a friends now to start it.
Post up when it's done, I'm curious how it will work in this cooler weather that we've had lately.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Even if it was real leather, it's nowhere near $200 worth of real leather. You're getting scammed.

eddypython

forum member
Reaction score
I know right lol.. You can buy a whole hide on ebay for that much and wrap all sorts of things up with it including door panels.

Davenow

forum member
Reaction score
Even if it was real leather, it's nowhere near $200 worth of real leather. You're getting scammed.

People should work for free. Having a skill that someone else doesnt have, is not worth anything, and buying equipment (even if its simple hand tools) isnt an investment that you should be paid for. And there is no such thing as getting what you pay for.

2 relatively large pieces of dyed leather, high enough quality to be as flexible as it needs to be to conform and stick to the shape of our panels, are dirt cheap, should definitely only cost $40. Its a like 2'X3' piece, and cows dont have holes in the middle, so the fact that the middle is largely taken up by the handle/pocket etc, means they dont have to buy a piece that has that section, making it magically cheaper.

Right?

Not trying to be a dick here, but you are not really looking at it reasonably. Just because one shop will do it for $40, doesnt mean that is a fair price. I can also promise you they are using fake leather, or shitty leather. The materials alone cost more than $40.

Last edited:

WHATISJDM

Reaction score
i want to buy red door panels in the worst way.. if anybody has ill trade plus cash mine are black and in excellent condition.. so if urs are peeling ill be happy to take them off your hands and fix em myself ; )

george06

forum member
Reaction score
People should work for free. Having a skill that someone else doesnt have, is not worth anything, and buying equipment (even if its simple hand tools) isnt an investment that you should be paid for. And there is no such thing as getting what you pay for.

2 relatively large pieces of dyed leather, high enough quality to be as flexible as it needs to be to conform and stick to the shape of our panels, are dirt cheap, should definitely only cost $40. Its a like 2'X3' piece, and cows dont have holes in the middle, so the fact that the middle is largely taken up by the handle/pocket etc, means they dont have to buy a piece that has that section, making it magically cheaper.

Right?

Not trying to be a dick here, but you are not really looking at it reasonably. Just because one shop will do it for $40, doesnt mean that is a fair price. I can also promise you they are using fake leather, or shitty leather. The materials alone cost more than $40.

Davenow, i am not talking about you in particular but in general; everybody is allow to make a profit in their investment and knowledge. However when people or businesses wants to make an OBSCENE amount of money specially with the young owners of Mustangs then it becomes borderline ilegal and obnocious. There are all kind of parts for sale for Mustangs but when you want to make the payroll for the week in one or two sales, that is wrong.

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
^I don't think they are charging $200 with malicious intent. I agree however that $200 is way too much.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
Ok guys, a little update on this. The snake skin stuff that I used was too thin and started turning to shit. Could see the glue lines and any imperfections; also started coming loose again.

My brother in law has done upholstery for cars before so I let him take a stab at it.

At first, we put a thin, plastic coated poly fill backing on over the carpet. Then put the material on that. Looked decent but still showed imperfections and anywhere that the backing or carpet was raised or whatnot to do glue.

Took that off to start over.

We decided to heat up the carpet backing (that shit's on there pretty good) and completely remove it. Cleaned up the plastic backing (door skin) and put a different material directly onto that. It is a pleather as well but looks better than the stuff that comes factory but is just as thick. It also stretches pretty good so you can work with it easily. I'll post up some pics when I get home today.

This is by far the best it has looked since I've been fighting with it when it first came off.

Also, he said that in all the vehicles he's worked on, he used Loctite spray adhesive. It's much like the 3M but he says it sticks better and lasts longer. No issues with any of the cars he's done here in Houston.

Cliff notes for those that are having problems with this:

1) get loctite spray adhesive
2) remove all material and carpet down to the plastic door skin
3) make sure surface is completely clean and flat
4) apply new fabric
5) ....
6) profit

horsepowerpro

Reaction score
Lee's05GT, I just wanted to send a quick thank you for this guide. Both of the panels on my 2009 were sagging off, and after researching different approaches, I chose yours as it seems the most thorough. Was nervous as I hadn't used contact cement for auto interiors ever, but I followed your directions and it worked great. Smooth, no bubbles/ripples, and holding well. I did my driver's door a couple months ago and since it's still holding perfectly well, I just did my passenger door today.

I only post this because I've seen a lot of posts about this contact cement method not working, but I wanted to let you (all) know it worked for me (so far at least)... in the suburbs of Atlanta where heat and humidity are a big thing. I did make sure to clean off any old residue from both the leather panel and the door foam panel very well (scrub with brush, all purpose cleaner, vacuum, etc). Thanks again. Very much appreciated.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Ok guys, a little update on this. The snake skin stuff that I used was too thin and started turning to shit. Could see the glue lines and any imperfections; also started coming loose again.

My brother in law has done upholstery for cars before so I let him take a stab at it.

At first, we put a thin, plastic coated poly fill backing on over the carpet. Then put the material on that. Looked decent but still showed imperfections and anywhere that the backing or carpet was raised or whatnot to do glue.

Took that off to start over.

We decided to heat up the carpet backing (that shit's on there pretty good) and completely remove it. Cleaned up the plastic backing (door skin) and put a different material directly onto that. It is a pleather as well but looks better than the stuff that comes factory but is just as thick. It also stretches pretty good so you can work with it easily. I'll post up some pics when I get home today.

This is by far the best it has looked since I've been fighting with it when it first came off.

Also, he said that in all the vehicles he's worked on, he used Loctite spray adhesive. It's much like the 3M but he says it sticks better and lasts longer. No issues with any of the cars he's done here in Houston.

Cliff notes for those that are having problems with this:

1) get loctite spray adhesive
2) remove all material and carpet down to the plastic door skin
3) make sure surface is completely clean and flat
4) apply new fabric
5) ....
6) profit

How did you get the glue and little pieces of backing off the door panel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mobolis

Reaction score
Mine are falling down again, has anyone used the solid plastic replacements, and if so what did you think of them? Thanks

Mobolis

Reaction score
I used Permatex head liner adhesive, just tired of it coming down again. Thanks for reply

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine are falling down again, has anyone used the solid plastic replacements, and if so what did you think of them? Thanks

I bought a pair but have not installed them yet. They look good though.

BMK1

Reaction score
After fixing mine a couple of times, I ended up going with Coverlay ABS inserts. You don't need to, but I removed all of the material from the door, right down the plastic before gluing the new inserts. In my opinion, doing this made them fit better. I took the panels off of the car so I could place weight on the inserts after gluing. I am really happy with them, and hopefully, I will never have to fix them again. 20200614_103533_resized_1.jpg 20200614_124027_resized_1.jpg

Mobolis

Reaction score
Anyone use the Predator solid replacements, expensive, but nice looking from what I have seen on their videos. Thanks

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back