Door Panel Leather Re-do

EverythingZen

Reaction score
This happened to me yesterday while driving to get a pizza. Passanger side just flopped down out of the blue, and I was in major panic mode since I'm pretty solid on keeping my car looking right and serviced. Found this thread, went to Home Depot (since it's a hell of a lot closer than Walmart) and got the Weldwood, brushes and to be safe masking tape. Just finished doing the fix and I can't thank the OP enough. It looks great and was super easy to do. Going to do my driver side once it falls down. After I got to really looking at my driver side I can tell it will fall soon since its sagging some that I had not previously noticed.

Thank you again, you absolutely rock man.

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
mac10chap:
that gator skin makes it look like you are off to hustle some people in vegas or something you need to get the snake skin boots to go with it and some fuzzy dice in the mirror.

I think it looks pretty damn clean though, you did a good job with it.

My left side leather has been sagging but I am hesitant to reglue it for now since I don't want it to end up failing and then get into a endless cycle of regluing it and having it fail until my whole door is a gluey mess.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
mac10chap:
that gator skin makes it look like you are off to hustle some people in vegas or something you need to get the snake skin boots to go with it and some fuzzy dice in the mirror.

I think it looks pretty damn clean though, you did a good job with it.

My left side leather has been sagging but I am hesitant to reglue it for now since I don't want it to end up failing and then get into a endless cycle of regluing it and having it fail until my whole door is a gluey mess.

Funny you say that. I go to Vegas every year to play pool in the BCA national championships. Always end up doing a bit of hustleing every year.

Thanks for the compliment though. I was very hesitant to do it as well for fear of not knowing how that pattern was going to look.

aequitas4

Reaction score
I used the 3M trim adhesive and although i had to work quick because it started to set (within 5 mins or so) it looks great and is holding up in Louisiana with the heat and humidity.

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
I have the black pleather, and removed everything down to the plastic piece, to try and replace it with suede. I have two questions for all of you.

1) Should i try to re-glue the carpet looking layer first, then foam, then the suede ? or should i go with foam and then the suede?

2) where can we get replacement foam, and how thick should it be?

Thanks

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
Ill take some pics when i get home today, basically the carpet part is what is heavily glued to the door panel, all the way down to the plastic.

Cobra Drifter

Carbon Driven™
Reaction score
Aw that sucks. Ok thanks.

What if one wanted to redo it with different material? I assume you take the door handles off n stuff but how to cut out new material and attach

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Go back and read this thread from the beginning. All your questions are already answered here.

eddypython

forum member
Reaction score
rob, I think it does come off bro. When I was pulling my vinyl off because of a crappy glue job, I pulled off a corner from the carpet and it lifter off the door. I freaked out and left it alone lol. But thinking about what bolivian said it makes sense. It should come off. We may just have regular plastic in the back like the base models.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
rob, I think it does come off bro. When I was pulling my vinyl off because of a crappy glue job, I pulled off a corner from the carpet and it lifter off the door. I freaked out and left it alone lol. But thinking about what bolivian said it makes sense. It should come off. We may just have regular plastic in the back like the base models.

He was asking if it came off as one solid piece if you take the door panel off. The answer is no. There is not a center piece of plastic with foam wtih material that will come off as a whole.

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
He was asking if it came off as one solid piece if you take the door panel off. The answer is no. There is not a center piece of plastic with foam wtih material that will come off as a whole.

When you re-did yours, did you take off the old material down to the carpet or to the plastic? Also, what replacement foam did you use?

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
When you re-did yours, did you take off the old material down to the carpet or to the plastic? Also, what replacement foam did you use?

Took mine down to the carpet. Did not use any replacement foam. Simply cleaned all the old adhesive off of the existing foam board.

07calspecial

forum member
Reaction score
Once again this site addresses everything that seems to go wrong with my Stangs, first it was the top window molding leaking water and now that that is finally fixed i noticed on my wifes 06 that the door leather is coming loose so tomorrow on the way home from work i will be stopping ang getting the supplies i need to fix yet another of Fords short comings.
Thanks OP.

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
Wow very glad I found this. My drivers flipped down a few weeks ago. And I actually have an appointment in about 8 hours to drop mine off at the upholstery shop to have it fixed. They want 200.00 to replace the pleather. I'm just gonna go to wal Mart use my buddies discount for the win and do it myself. But quick question. If I do this do I have to take the pleather all the way off or just clean the foam, vacuum, use the cement, and re apply the top area? I have an upholstery too here that I can press everything back in with but didn't know if I had to take it all off or just the damaged area.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
Wow very glad I found this. My drivers flipped down a few weeks ago. And I actually have an appointment in about 8 hours to drop mine off at the upholstery shop to have it fixed. They want 200.00 to replace the pleather. I'm just gonna go to wal Mart use my buddies discount for the win and do it myself. But quick question. If I do this do I have to take the pleather all the way off or just clean the foam, vacuum, use the cement, and re apply the top area? I have an upholstery too here that I can press everything back in with but didn't know if I had to take it all off or just the damaged area.

I would pull down the top area to where it meets the arm rest. I wouldnt take the bottom part off if it is still intact. Putting the whole thing back on is where it becomes a pain in the ass.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
A local shop here will fix them for $40, $200 is a ripoff. The guy mentioned it to me when I stopped by for something else, said all the Mustangs eventually need it done. Mine are still intact for now.

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
The guys here said they have to order a whole new piece and that is why it costs so much. They said to do it right it all has to come off and be re done. And still arguing with me it's real leather. On the plus side I just stopped by home depot. It was closer than wal Mart and got the cement and a few brushes. I got a hard plastic bristle to remove the foam heading over to a friends now to start it.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back