Door Sub Replacement - Non Shelby...

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
All,

I decided to replace the speakers in my doors and decks with a quality speaker as the Shaker 500 sounds like crap in my opinion. After installing Infinity Kappa 682.11's in the doors and rear deck I was amazed out how good the sound was from Mid's up. This change really brought the subs in the doors in to question so knew they had to be replaced as well. I have been researching which subs I wanted for a few weeks and decided on the CDT HD800CF's. I wanted to keep the factory look so went another route than the Shelby Kicker upgrade. The total upgrade will be done in two parts, the first part being the replacement of the door subs with a quality piece. The second stage will be adding a sub to the rear deck and adding an amp to the sub and door subs. This write up is for stage 1 only.

I did not put any pictures in showing the removal of the door skin as there are numerous resources to see this.

#1 - Here is the stock door sub with the grille removed. As others have mentioned there is a bolt in the rear of the sub holding it in to the enclosure.

ybmi.jpg

#2 - Remove the bolts (fronts and rear) and lift sub from door skin. To finish removal you must pull the rubber grommet holding the wires from the opening.

2ftv.jpg

#3 - Here is the empty enclosure

lq0t.jpg

#4 - You will need to remove the two factory guides

7wc4.jpg

#5 - Old sub versus new one... The factory sub has a top mount depth of 3.5". This is an acceptable depth but as others have mentioned and I will again... the depth is not the issue, it is the shape of the enclosure. The speaker I chose (CDT HD800CF) is 3.69" in depth so I knew I was in for a little remodeling of the factory box. I want to preface that I do not have a heat gun which is why I cut my box. If I had a heat gun I could have most likely remolded the plastic to fit the sub. That being said here are the factory and new subs. Kicker has some low profile subs in the dual 1ohm and dual 2ohm solutions that I hear sound great. I wanted a warmer speaker that was more modeled for rock, heavy metal, reggae, and occasionally top 40. I didn't want something to just thump, I wanted something to accentuate the Infinity Kappa's I installed in the doors and deck.

dmce.jpg

qio4.jpg

#6 - I started with a dremel and a cutting wheel and started with small area's I knew I would need to remove. I test fit the speaker and then would cut a little more, test/repeat, etc. Once I got it fairly close I switched to a sanding extension so I could fine tune the opening and remove any of the plastic fragments from cutting.

qy22.jpg

k557.jpg

#7 - Final fit. After I got the enclosure trimmed to my liking I started working on the speaker. Originally I modified the plastic speaker grill to match the holes on the sub itself. After doing this I placed the sub on the door skin and realized the sub holes were inset about 1/8" from the door skin. I didn't want to half ass the install and risk stripping the door skin so I modified the speakers... this is not for the faint of heart and YOU MUST BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL!!!! I took my dremel and cutting wheel and removed the exterior edge of the basket at each screw hole. I forgot to take a picture but just imaging the hole being extended outward with no basket edge. You can see it in the last picture below before the beauty rings... If this was a competition setup I would not have done this as you need the rigidity of the basket. I am merely using mine as a midbass so was not concerned. I also cut the fiber gasket on the top of the sub down so it as about a 1/16th of an inch taller than the basket. You can see it in the picture of the sub above. I had to do this or the factory beauty ring would have been almost an inch from the door skin.

After I got the sub screwed in I let it sit for about a half hour just to let the plastic of the enclosure stretch/move to its final resting place. Once done I used a thick bead of silicone around the magnet structure an the bottom of the door enclosure. This should prevent any air leaks and will stay flexible so it won't crack down the road.

67el.jpg

#8 - With the side of the enclosure I could not simply squirt some silicone on it. For this I used spray foam. Please note this is a temporary fix as I will need to remove the sub for Stage 2 when I put an amp to it. Once amplified I will be using fiberglass to seal the enclosure permanently.

To ensure I did not get any foam in to the speaker woofer area I folded the speaker wire over and ran it along the bottom of the magnet to act as a barrier. I let the foam dry over night and then covered it with HVAC tape to ensure it was air tight.

udux.jpg

a55y.jpg

8c0q.jpg

#9 - After everything was sealed I flipped the door skin over so I could see the top of the sub. I took clear silicone (black would be better) and filled in the openings I cut in the sub frame for the screws. probably not necessary but I was not taking chances of having a leak or rattle.

flc3.jpg

Final Step was to pop on the factory trim rings...

o7px.jpg

dc3o.jpg

After everything was done I put the beauty rings on so I could see how the finished product would look. The skin sits about a half inch farther out than factory but without staring at it or knowing the speakers were swapped I doubt anyone would ever notice.

With the skins back on the car (did not screw them on yet) I could test for rattles and or issues... There was a small rattle in the rear of the drivers door skin but when I screwed the skin down everything was sealed and rattle free. I moved to the passenger side and did the same. As with the drivers side there was a small amount of rattling that went away when the skin was screwed back on. All in all, I am very happy with the sound. I flipped through channels and everything sounded clearer with more mids and some depth to the music that was not there previously. Scrolled through Volbeat's "Beyond Hell-Above Heaven" and it sounded much better! Fallen, 7 Shots, New Day, and Still Counting sounded amazing! It definitely needs to have a sufficient amp and to have the crossover point lowered so it can fill in more bass.

I am still running off the factory amps so two things are certain... I am not running as clean of a signal as I could be, and I am severely underpowering the subs. I have all of 15 minutes of break in time on these and can already notice a vast improvement in sound quality... can't wait until they are fully broken in to see how great they sound!!!

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
I am still utilizing the factory amps for the 8" door speakers as I wanted to get them broken in before boosting the power. Even with the factory amp the sound is much cleaner but not noticing any increase in bass. I plan on finishing the system over the holiday weekend and will post thoughts when completed. Here is stage 2:

Alpine MRV-F300 4-channel amp (75watt @ 2ohm) for door and rear deck speakers.

Alpine MRX-F65 4-channel amp (110watt @4ohm) for 8" woofers in door and eventual 10" sub in rear deck. I have dual 2ohm speaker coils in the 8" but will send a single 4 ohm signal to them and wire them accordingly. Third and fourth channel will be bridged with 320watts going to the 10" sub.

Audio Control LC6i Line Output Converter - debating on whether this is needed... both Alpine amps have speaker line inputs and will allow for higher voltage to be used.

I will be running all new speaker wire (14ga) to all of the speaker so I am sure they are getting all the power the amps put out.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Didn't want to spend that much and be limited. Both amps, amp install kit, and LC6i cost less than the PDX amp. I consider myself an audiophile and want the best sound possible, that being said I don't have the money to drop that much on one piece of the puzzle.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Really, I thought the kicker's were drop in? I went this route as I wanted more throw in the woofer and wanted the doors to look factory. When my hoopty is parked at the airport I don't want anyone seeing anything interesting...

edit: I was referring to the Kicker CompRT's which are a low profile sub.

Last edited:

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
I went with the Kicker Sub that is about 4" deep, along with replacing all the 6x9's with Kicker 3-Ways. Sounds a helluva lot better than those cheap 5watt chinese speakers that come with the Shaker 1000's.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Ahh, you went the same route I did then... I thought you were talking about the 2 3/4" deep Kickers. They supposedly fit without any modification. I wanted more speaker travel so went with a lower profile full size sub. definitely did some cutting. Once I get the skins back off I will be reworking the door panels to properly seal them.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
In my 06 GT, I used the slim Kenwood model. All I had to do was make the spacer ring....everything fit with no cutting.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Stereo Install Stage II

Finally got the amp install finished... thought I would update the thread for anyone looking to upgrade amps and run new speaker wire...

Rotated the Brembo tire repair kit in speaker well so I had more room for the amps and built a platform to mount everything out of plywood:

vbfp.jpg

I wanted everything hidden and out of site as I daily drive my car and it does spend time at the airport when I travel. This was the reason I stuck with the factory radio... didn't want a stereo to grab someone's attention. Based on that I mounted the amps in the spare tire well.

nljx.jpg

I used the speaker outputs from the back of the stereo instead of using the amp output as others have. I wanted my speaker line inputs to be full spectrum sound instead of crossed over like the sub outputs. Here is the connector from the back of the stereo... I cut/spliced the wires and ran 16ga speaker wire to the trunk.

7ybn.jpg

Not sure why but Ford chose to twist the speaker wires which made them very easy to identify...

After running my 4 wires back to the amp I ziptied all of my wires together and routed them out of the way and following recessed areas in the trunk:

bqym.jpg

xgnm.jpg

I was originally going to install an AudioControl LC6i but decided to just use the speaker wires as a line-in in to the amps. Spoke with Kicker and their head trainer stated I would get better sound and quality using the speaker wires directly to the amp rather than using a LOC... works great, no need to run a remote-on as the amps are speaker sensing, and I get to return the LC6i and get my $150 back! Win/Win!!!

Running the rear speaker wires were quite easy as you can guess... I routed mine up through the frame rail on the drivers side and then through the frame under the window. This kept the wires out of site and ensured nothing would ever bump/cut them.

y594.jpg

Running new wires to the speakers/subs in the doors was an exercise in patience... it was an absolute pain in the ass until I figured out what I was doing. There is a Molex plug against the frame so you can't just fish wire through it to get to the door. To make things worse there is a plate of steel under the dash in front of where the plug goes in so you can't reach it with your hand. I was able to dig the drivers side out but could not figure out how to get it apart... was at the verge of throwing things and decided to research it... ran across this link (http://forums.themustangsource.com/f692/how-can-i-run-new-wire-door-interior-498773/) which walked me through it with pictures... once I knew what I was looking for and how to get at it the job went pretty smoothly and only took about a half hour per sided.

Here are some pictures of my hacked Molex plug. I drilled a hole and then used wire cutters to remove some additional material to fit my wires through. This allows me to go through the plug in to the rubber boot and in to the door... again keeping everything looking factory and protecting them from the elements.

o7mm.jpg

qn8e.jpg

Now that running the door wires was done (which was the most difficult part of the install...) I had everything ready to put power to the amps and test everything. I ran my 4ga power wire like everyone else, through the grommet in the passenger wheel well behind the plastic housing. I ran it up through a hole below the battery and then in front of the battery:

6nds.jpg

After ensuring I had all of my speakers hooked up properly and the wires in their correct positions (LF, LR, RF, RR) I made sure everything on the radio worked as far as balance and fade. Everything worked perfect so put everything back together.... As you can see you would never know all of the speakers have been upgraded and their are amps in the trunk.

yjkq.jpg

o7px.jpg

dc3o.jpg

Stage III of the install will be to mount a 10" Sub or dual 8" subs to the rear deck so they fire against the back window. I want to do dual 8's but that will require hacking up the entire rear tray as I will need to move the regular speakers closer to the sides. A 10 will fit perfectly between them. Oh well, sounds incredible now so in no hurry to finish it...

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
great write up! the tip for the molex door connector will help me as I'm going to install some 6.5" components in place of the door subs.

sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What are you gonna do to get airflow to the amps? If you leave the spare tire cover over them they will overheat.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Yeah, will probably do free-air. I would prefer to build a box but don't want it taking room up in the trunk. Plus if I can get it in the rear deck the rear window will reflect the sound right at me with nothing to muffle it like seats. Learned that trick in my fox body and it made a huge difference in sound quality.

As for the amps overheating, according to Alpine they only need a couple of inches around the amp itself to stay cool. Based on the instructions the spare tire well should give it plenty of area to keep cool. I specifically picked these amps as they are supposed to run very cool compared to others in their price range. If it ends up being a problem I will figure out a way to run a fan or something.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
You are probably going to have to seal up the rear deck with sound deadener to create the baffle correctly.

Make sure to take pics, I wanna see it.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Stage II - 10" Sub Install in Rear Deck

So I have been enjoying the Infinity speakers and CDT 8" door subs for awhile and finally felt it was time for Stage II of my install... The 10" Sub in the rear deck. Been dreading the car being down for awhile so figured it snowed, time to get at it! Here are some progression pictures of the process to the finished solution.

Here is the hole hacked in to the rear deck... not for the faint of heart!

09xs.jpg

chc9.jpg

Test fitting the hole to ensure the sub fits through it as there isn't room to drop it in from the top. tried to get the hole just large enough I could get the sub through but still have the sub sit on the rear deck:

nqpe.jpg

I made some wood forms for the top and bottom of the deck to give it support and minimize vibration. The top had to be routered and then used a dremel to cut in about a half inch further so sub would sit in the recess:

kyek.jpg

p930.jpg

7sp9.jpg

Used Dynamat to ensure no vibrations... didn't want it to sound like a 16 year olds Honda civic!

nd8o.jpg

mkjp.jpg

Here is the sub mounted:

lqr1.jpg

1z4q.jpg

Here is everything mounted and ready to put the car back the car:

ygqi.jpg

Here is the modified rear deck cover. Had to use a 12" sub cover as my sub measured 10.75" across... 10" cover wasn't quite wide enough and didn't want to take any chances on the screws for the cover hitting the sub.

wirx.jpg

Trunk all put back together:

cu46.jpg

And drum roll please..... the finished product!

gxz7.jpg

xqoo.jpg

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Sounds great! Still messing with the gain and where I want the Low Pass Filter set at. currently have the LP at 80hz which is close... may take it down to 70hz. With running the amps directly off the speaker outputs the system is very loud, add to that the amps and my basic listening area is about 20-25% volume. When I get in the mood for some bass I listen to it about 45-50% which is about as loud as I can take it. I have set the gain/LP to sound clear up to this point, anything above 50% volume will get some vibration from the rear deck but I can't listen to it that loud anyway so all is good! Once the Sub is broken in I will fine tune it.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
How did you keep the foam filler for ruining the door sub as it expanded?
Why may the rear deck sub free air? YOU could easily add a small enclosure to the wood baffle installed in the deck.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back