Driveshaft Question

rmurad38

Reaction score
As we have all heard, there have been reports of people losing their driveshafts by removing the speed limiter and taking it too fast.. 135 Mph in one case, almost 160 on a dyno in another.. Anyway my question is, if one were to swap their gears from the stock 2.73's to well, anything, what would the "safest" top speed be? in top gear wouldn't the driveshaft be spinning approx 23% faster for any given speed (assuming 3.73's) I would think at this rate, even hitting the original "safe" speed of 115 would be spinning the driveshaft that much faster leading to failure?

Of course any of these modifications, even removing the limiter are warranty voiding..I get that.. Curious of the Performance pack cars with 3.31's..what is their electronic limiter set to? do they have a better driveshaft? I'm just wondering if people swapping to 3.73's or even worse 4.10's could have a catistropic failure overtaking someone on the freeway and hitting 100?

Thoughts?

David Young

Reaction score
Small world :)

I was reading about all the driveshaft problems, so i bought and installed me an American Muscle Aluminum driveshaft. No more worries......

David Young

Reaction score
and... Yes. The driveshaft will be spinning faster with lower (higher numbers) gear ratios at 115 miles per hour. I installed a SCT tune a couple months after my 11 Mustang arrived. I'm not sure how the speed limiter works. I don't know if its mph or rpm limited or a little both. Maybe with 3.73 gears the limiter will kick in around 100 mph ?

RicoStang

Reaction score
Never considered the fact that I'd be spinning faster with different gears. Want 4.10's and driveshaft, but was going to do gears first. Looks like it will be reverse order since I already broke one and don't want to again!

FAST3V

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Never heard of this...I have a dynotech Alum DS, and have had it a long time with 4.10 gears. Im making 667 ft lbs too, and no issues. Have had the car over 140 numerous of times.

rmurad38

Reaction score
Never heard of this...I have a dynotech Alum DS, and have had it a long time with 4.10 gears. Im making 667 ft lbs too, and no issues. Have had the car over 140 numerous of times.

You have a quality aftermarket driveshaft, not the piece of tin foil coming standard on the 2011+v6. I wouldn't suspect you would have a problem. Question is if the original stock piece that came with your car take 140+ with 4.10's and all that power..possibly not? Dont really know.

rmurad38

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do the V6 and V8 cars use the same drive shaft now? I know both have the 8.8 axle now. If so, the V8 shaft would be a cheap upgrade if you bought it from a V8 guy that wen to a one piece.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back