DTP In Chesapeake VA

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
He is a vendor/member on here, you have met him face to face, shook his hand and saw his shop, why don't you ask him yourself?

nv4gt ws

RedShift
Reaction score
i would hate being a tuner. if someone built a half ass car and it blows up, its the tuner fault.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very true....that is why Mike did not take Luke's car past 6K on the dyno even though people were bashing him for not doing it. He said the extra 5-10 hp is not worth buying someone a new motor!

Of course being certified via SCT to me is a big plus...if I understand the SCT web site correctly there are "tiers" to tuning and the ones that are SCT trained have the SCT certification by their name, allowing them to have full access to all of SCT's software where the non certified SCT tuners have limited access to software.

I know who I am more comfortable with in tuning my car, certifed over non certifed every day of the week. Anyone can check a/f ratio's at WOT.

nv4gt ws

RedShift
Reaction score
does luke bring he car past 6k? for the most part i shift at 6k, but they say thats when cams come alive.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I saw a chart on the BBR stage 1 cams and if I remember correctly they are in the 1500-6K range so there would not be much benefit in shifting past 6K.

I think most of the NSR cams don't make much power past 6K.

nv4gt ws

RedShift
Reaction score
I saw a chart on the BBR stage 1 cams and if I remember correctly they are in the 1500-6K range so there would not be much benefit in shifting past 6K.

I think most of the NSR cams don't make much power past 6K.
yea i just looked at my dyno charts. stock cams power fell at 5400k and with cams 6200k.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
man my car with stock cams and boltons made power to 6400. was a brenspeed mail tune. with the vsr comp cams it makes power to 6800 na and now with the turbo it makes power till i shift it lol

LAllison20

forum member
Reaction score
Mike took my car to 6300 on the dyno. For me most part I dont rev it that high. Even when I get on it. At the track, I dont know exactly where I was shifting, I mainly keeping my eyes on the track, but it was close to 6k.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yea i just looked at my dyno charts. stock cams power fell at 5400k and with cams 6200k.

Thats odd, this isnt a 2v, i know my 2v started falling off hard 5500. My stock 07 with cai and sct canned tune made peak power at 6000 rpms and didnt really start fallling off till 6200. Just alittle tuning on the vct with stock cams goes a long way.

Bone stock, peak power at 5500 that basicly hold till 5900 where they let out.
scan.jpg

Udp, cai/sct xcal canned tune. Peak power at 6000/6100 rpms The best part of this is you can see where the vct kicks ass from 5000 to 6500 i basicly have peak power, a power band that the 2v just never had na. After these results i set my rev limiter at 6400 at started shifting at 6200.
dyno2.jpg

Adding kooks longtubes and bbk tb it made power till it hit my rev limiter at 6400 lol, so thats where i upped my rev limiter to 6800 and did another pull at it held power to 6500-6600 so i left the car like that for 2 years and shifted it at 6700 on the regular at at the track.
dyno_sheet.jpg

Then i had the motor built, 127300 cams/springs and the dyno tune made 332rwhp. Dont have a scan of it on my computer right now, but it made peak power around 6700-6800, and i have had my rev limiter at 7k ever since :)

Last edited:

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That is why they have you sign a paper saying that they are not responsible for what happens to the car while on the dyno.

Mike is the only tuner that I know that doesn't make you sign a release form before he tunes your car. His feelings are if he causes a failure he will fix it, if there is a failure not due to his tuning you will have to fix it.
i already know, just nobody says anything.
I don't know what you know but Mike says he has never had a failure on the dyno from his tuning. I wouldn't trust anyone else in this state to tune my car. Mike is not only SCT certified he attends, at his expense, all the recurrent classes that SCT requires the tuners to attend. Most tuners never go back once the have the initial classes finished but they still claim to be current.

Earl

nv4gt ws

RedShift
Reaction score
Thats odd, this isnt a 2v, i know my 2v started falling off hard 5500. My stock 07 with cai and sct canned tune made peak power at 6000 rpms and didnt really start fallling off till 6200. Just alittle tuning on the vct with stock cams goes a long way.

Bone stock, peak power at 5500 that basicly hold till 5900 where they let out.
scan.jpg

Udp, cai/sct xcal canned tune. Peak power at 6000/6100 rpms The best part of this is you can see where the vct kicks ass from 5000 to 6500 i basicly have peak power, a power band that the 2v just never had na. After these results i set my rev limiter at 6400 at started shifting at 6200.
dyno2.jpg

Adding kooks longtubes and bbk tb it made power till it hit my rev limiter at 6400 lol, so thats where i upped my rev limiter to 6800 and did another pull at it held power to 6500-6600 so i left the car like that for 2 years and shifted it at 6700 on the regular at at the track.
dyno_sheet.jpg

Then i had the motor built, 127300 cams/springs and the dyno tune made 332rwhp. Dont have a scan of it on my computer right now, but it made peak power around 6700-6800, and i have had my rev limiter at 7k ever since :)
dam thats strong!

nv4gt ws

RedShift
Reaction score
Mike is the only tuner that I know that doesn't make you sign a release form before he tunes your car. His feelings are if he causes a failure he will fix it, if there is a failure not due to his tuning you will have to fix it.

I don't know what you know but Mike says he has never had a failure on the dyno from his tuning. I wouldn't trust anyone else in this state to tune my car. Mike is not only SCT certified he attends, at his expense, all the recurrent classes that SCT requires the tuners to attend. Most tuners never go back once the have the initial classes finished but they still claim to be current.

Earl
sorry earl, didnt mean on the dyno. nothing bad to say about mike. what i was trying to say is when motors blew when on street or track, the tuner gets blamed in some cases. i think all tuners had motors they tuned let go later down the road and they were not at fault.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Walt, you brought up an excellent point; tuners are the last ones to touch a car being the tune is the final process and if something goes wrong they are guilty until proven innocent...I am sure there are instances where the tuner makes a mistake, had a bad day, isn't paying attention, etc and there goes an engine.

However...if said car has not been worked on and said tuner's shop then the tuner inhereits whatever has been done and if the engine builder did something wrong the tuner is usually the one that finds it. I assume that is why most shops would rather do the "one stop shopping" meaning the tuner is the same guy that either built the motor or knows who installed what parts and how/when they were installed so there is not a second, third or fourth party to blame.

And then there is the "shit happens"....anything mechanincal posses the ability to break at any time...the tuner could be the best in the world, the engine builder the best and on the dyno a piston go, ring break, valve let go, etc.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back