Electrical, No crank condition. Oh joy!

durr4456

forum member
Reaction score
So, a while back my 3 valve started thinking to itself "Man, I wanna eat some spark plugs and ruin a phaser." So, it decided to do that. When I went to put the new phaser on, it didn't line up somehow and I decided to just take it apart and retime it. I figured better safe than sorry right?

Now, I've got everything buttoned up back together.

I went to hook the battery up and it was dead. Ok, no problem. Hooked up my trickle charger and let it sit overnight. This morning, charger says it's full/maintaining, sweet. Put the key in the ignition, press in the clutch, and again I get nothing. The battery gives power when the key is in the on position, radio plays fine, dash lights up perfectly. However, the moment I move the key to crank it, it just acts like it dies. Ok, maybe the battery is just toasted and ruined. I hooked it up to my honda just to see if it would (CCA was way lower on the honda) and just like that it cranked right up. So it's not the battery.

What I found interesting was, if I attempt to start it, it dies and such (loses power to the dash, everything freaks out, etc. If I disconnect the battery for a split second and then reconnect it, it acts like nothing ever happened. Until I try to start it again, then it simply freaks out as it has prior.

I checked the grounds on the front RH side, the one on the RH side of the engine, the RH strut tower side, and the ones in the trunk. All seemed perfectly fine. I didn't bother checking the ones in the dash as I didn't really go there at all, so nothing should have changed.

Starter connections look good and solid, don't see how that could've changed much in the few months it's sat parked in my garage.

Ideas would be awesome. Tips not only appreciated, but mandated. Thanks you lovely gents.

TL:DR my mother isn't proud of me, I keep trying though.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Bad alternator? Electrical gremlins usually signal the end of the road for our notoriously bad 05-09 alternators.

durr4456

forum member
Reaction score
Haven't gotten that tested. It's just hard for me to believe that (not saying it couldn't be), but it was totally fine before. Wouldn't it run a little tiny bit off the battery before hand though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 Boss

Reaction score
I'm thinking all of your dashboard stuff and much of the electrical in the cabin run through the SJB. Could maybe you have an issue there with water intrusion and corrosion?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I'm thinking all of your dashboard stuff and much of the electrical in the cabin run through the SJB. Could maybe you have an issue there with water intrusion and corrosion?

x2
It's a common problem in the '05-'09 model. If the cowl drains are blocked, water can accumulate inside the cowl and find its way into the passenger side footwell via the cabin air filter. Unfortunately the SJB is right there in the "firing line" so if it gets contaminated with water, it can cause all kinds of wierd electrical gremlins. Check the carpet on the front passenger side and see if it's wet.

durr4456

forum member
Reaction score

x2
It's a common problem in the '05-'09 model. If the cowl drains are blocked, water can accumulate inside the cowl and find its way into the passenger side footwell via the cabin air filter. Unfortunately the SJB is right there in the "firing line" so if it gets contaminated with water, it can cause all kinds of wierd electrical gremlins. Check the carpet on the front passenger side and see if it's wet.

I'll double check. It's been sitting in my garage for the past several months though. I ironically cleaned the cowl drain probably about a year ago, hopefully it somehow didn't clog back up that fast lol.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
So you said it's not the battery but have you tested it with a voltimeter to see what it's puttin out? Your trickle charger could be giving you a bad read even tho it cranked the Honda. I've heard you're not supposed to jump these cars off, but when my alt died, I jumped it to get home, no problem. Maybe try that just to see if it'll turn over. I wouldn't think it was the alternator since it hasn't even had a chance to kick it.

Back