Elegantly tie into CAN HI

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
It's there at the ecm, the sjb . Two wires.

Incould cut them, splice in the wires I need in parallel and heat shrink, not my favorite idea.

I believe the antenna edit: reciever! for the Sirius radio actually has a termination. This might work great, I do not use it and if the head unit doesn't bitch that it's unplugged I can fashion a connector and go in there. Just have to find the thing. looks like I can access the stereo area in a few minutes, will look there first.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Can't do this, I misread the wiring diagram late at night, the Sirius radio gets low speed CAN.

I'm going in at the ECU under the hood. I will cut the wire, wrap the free end around the base of a long stripped section of new wire, solder that, solder the tip of the new wire to the ecu end of the original wire, shrink wrap, and liquid electrical tape at the shrink wrap end where I've got two wires now coming out. What would work even better would be an electrical 'wye' where you have just three leads coming out of a sealed central section. A junction. Then you'd just splice this in to the original wire, do 3 connections with three sections of shrink tubing, and no liquid tape.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Tell my steering rack how fast the car is going so I have assist at low speed.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah it's mostly done. I just have to be absolutely sure I have the right CAN pins on the harness to ECM pigtail, cut them and splice in the can hi + and - leads from the rack. There's a yellow wire that needs switched power, 5a, I don't know if the board runs off of that or if it just wakes up the system and the board is tied into the 8 ga (?) power feed, or what, doesn't matter - I'm going to splice into the same OEM switched wire I'm using to close the relay for my intercooling system. Relay is using about .15a to close.

Here's how I'm getting power from the battery, small bus bar that will drop off of the alternator stud between the battery and the fender. Going to insulate the unused side of the maxi fuse holder, possibly run an electric fan controller off of there next year.

If I could do this again I'd save the $ on the enormous harness I ordered from Ford with the wiring for the rack and just grab pigtails and connectors for the high amp side and the controls side. Make a custom setup.
IMG_20180912_085503.jpg

Reactions: Gab

Gab

Bullitthead
Reaction score
I don't have an EPAS car, but I'm interested to see how this works out!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back