Engine Carnage S/C'd 08 GT

mustang1200

Badass
Reaction score
Below are a few pictures from of the engine I removed from my mustang today. It broke 5 out of the 8 rods and bent 2 more. Multiple holes in the engine block along with numerous cracks. Enjoy.

This is a picture of all the parts that we were able to remove without disassembling the engine. The rest are during and after engine dis assembly.

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Well... its like the old saying. If your going to do something, at least do to the best of your ability! Looks like you did your best at throwing every rod out through the block. What happened? You overboosted or shooting too much NOS?

mustang1200

Badass
Reaction score
Well... its like the old saying. If your going to do something, at least do to the best of your ability! Looks like you did your best at throwing every rod out through the block. What happened? You overboosted or shooting too much NOS?

To much power for a stock block looks to be the cause. The engine didn't appear to have any detonation. The car was making just over 500rwhp using a Saleen SC. The car has about 12K miles on it and the SC has been on the car since day one.

dougie b

Reaction score
sounds like the boost actuator got stuck shut.... no reason for a saleen (if its a saleen) to blow on the stock pulley. How much boost were you running?

Digital_Synapse

forum member
Reaction score
Something broke. I don't think the car was running tip top when this happened. Something must have gotten stuck open or closed.

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
My guess is he was granny shiftin not double clutching like he should when this happened!

It definitely did a number on the motor though.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
My guess is he was granny shiftin not double clutching like he should when this happened!

If you knew all his mods, it's clear that his foglight deletes just made too much power for the stock block.

Ryan331

forum member
Reaction score

It's more like he didn't have the random plate on the floorboard available to blow it's bolts and fall off/relieve the pressure from the motor

Just kidding..

That sucks man.. I am currently pricing out what I need to do to help prevent mine from doing this but I'm about 6 months out if I want to do it right / not tap into my savings at all.. My motor might be joining yours in that time :)

Hey it sucks but the old adage is true, if it breaks, upgrade - I never let my car breaking on me get personal, just teach it a lesson and drive it harder when you're done, it'll learn to like it

Last edited:

striker 5

forum member
Reaction score
good thing scrap is high $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ glw with rebuild and don't forget to start the build up thread .

mustang1200

Badass
Reaction score
Man, that looks like a boosted, high RPM catastrophic failure.

It was indeed a high RPM failure. It was making that kinda power for 7K and 430rwhp for the first 5K miles. From what I understand 500rwhp on these short blocks are a ticking time bomb depending on how you drive it.

I've already ordered a short block from JDM and serveral supporting mods to help increase the power a little bit more.

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
It was indeed a high RPM failure. It was making that kinda power for 7K and 430rwhp for the first 5K miles. From what I understand 500rwhp on these short blocks are a ticking time bomb depending on how you drive it.

I've already ordered a short block from JDM and serveral supporting mods to help increase the power a little bit more.

Damn those pics make me sick!
Glws!

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score

Yeah, it takes some fast spinning mass to pop a block the way you did! LOL! it's not funny you popped the block, but it sure as hell is a nice job of it!

What kind of set up are you going to do with the new engine? Same heads?

mustang1200

Badass
Reaction score
Yeah, it takes some fast spinning mass to pop a block the way you did! LOL! it's not funny you popped the block, but it sure as hell is a nice job of it!

What kind of set up are you going to do with the new engine? Same heads?

Yeah when we pulled it yesterday I was shocked at the damage everywhere. The holes are every where. Little ones all over the place.

Other than the forged short block and more boost I don't have any plans. I still have to figure out the head deal. I know mine are jacked up but fixable. So the problem now is should I spend the money and get the CNC port ready to go heads or fix the ones I have already. Not sure the cost of repair there.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back