Engine Ground Strap Location on 2009 Mustang GT 4.6 Ltr

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
There is usually one attached to the back of the driver side cylinder head on a stud. The other end of the strap connects to the firewall where the black plastic cowl meets the metal.
116e241b2e5d752fe5e82a4817614cef.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

DieHarder

Reaction score
There are three actually. The primary body ground is on the passenger strut tower. There's another (engine ground) that goes down and bolts to the passenger side engine mount on the bottom. (Difficult as hell to get to....). The third is as msvela448 shows above.

IMG-2303.jpg

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
one of those on the shock tower goes down to motor mount on the passenger side

DieHarder

Reaction score
one of those on the shock tower goes down to motor mount on the passenger side

No, the larger cable shown is a 4 gauge I added that goes to an alternator mounting bolt that provides an additional ground reference for the alternator. The motor mount/starter ground is inside of the plastic casing shown that's continues downward and towards the front then down again underneath the vehicle and bolts up underneath. The ground is G106.

Here's a pdf: https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Component Location Views.pdf&p=2

I added a DOB kit a couple of years ago and found that I needed an additional ground as my system was floating and producing voltage drops (meaning it appeared my alternator wasn't working when in reality the problem was) resulting resistance differences in materials and items I added/changed. I figure that the new intake manifold w/additional anodizing and insulation; different alternator mounting location; alternator powdercoating; etc. resulted in resistance differences so I had to add a couple of grounds to solve the problem.

Here's a link to how I did it if you're interested: https://www.s197forum.com/threads/f...he-all-important-grounds.139544/#post-2516908

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back