Engine Oil?

MaineMustangGT

forum member
Reaction score
What is everyone running for oil in their built and boosted mod motor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
All joking aside as long as you use an api certified oil in the correct viscosity for your bearing clearances, ring gaps, piston to bore clearance, cam journal clearance, oil galleries, vct, and oil pump all will be well.

If you are running a stock motor then Ford has already done the calculations with the help of their engineering department. If you have a custom motor with custom clearances then your engine builder should have plenty of experience with what will work with an ohc motor and his clearances.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Sweet cream butter.

Mobil 1 extended performance 5w-30 with a FL820S.

Last edited:

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I know this is probably an argument from my generation, but just in case this train of though is floating around somewhere, your goal should be to use the lightest possible oil, not the heaviest. When I was getting into this stuff there were flying assumptions that if you had a powerful motor you had to use 20w50, and if it said 5w30 on your oil cap this was just stupid because a v8 needs 10w40 at least.

It all comes down to your tolerances as said above. The manufacturers have gone to great lengths to design engines to take the lightest oil possible because lighter oil takes less energy to pump and pressurize (more power going to the wheels). However your specific engine builder may not be able to effectively replicate these tolerances, so he may tell you to use 10w30 or straight 30 in the motor that he built for you.

IMO, people think I am crazy for this, but the way I see it I am going to blow my motor before expensive oil has a chance to show me how long it can make the motor last. So I use either Motorcraft oil or walmart special. As long as you are using the correct weight, changing in correct intervals, and changing the filter, you are good to go.

P.S. I do use the new castrol magnetic oil in my wifes car. Cheap oil makes the lifters clack for like 20-30 seconds on startup (only 40k miles btw). This is the only car I have ever had that was bitchy about the quality of oil that went in it.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Royal purple 5w-30 HPS. (not built, but 6 psi boost).

When I was using Ford Motocraft 5-20, the catch can was 80% full...of what appears to resemble a chocolate milkshake. After the switch to RP, catch can is only 40% full....and looks like eng oil. Dunno why, but I have seen this time and again with other folks in the local mustang club who also swapped.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Royal purple 5w-30 HPS. (not built, but 6 psi boost).

When I was using Ford Motocraft 5-20, the catch can was 80% full...of what appears to resemble a chocolate milkshake. After the switch to RP, catch can is only 40% full....and looks like eng oil. Dunno why, but I have seen this time and again with other folks in the local mustang club who also swapped.

I had this exact same issue. Not sure how modified you are or if you a 4.6 or 5.0, but when I used Motorcraft 5w20, my cans were doing the same thing. Switched to Mobil 1 5w30ep and have a 1/4 of the amount and it just looks like oil.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I just check my can and empty it every now and then. If I went 3k miles it would probably be full. I might be able to blame the oil, but I have ran quite a bit of nitrous through my 96k mile motor and it has been overreved twice.

I don't make a big deal out of it because after 3k miles of beating on I still have more than 5 1/2 quarts of oil coming out of the motor.

Last edited:

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Amsoil here and just change the oil once a year in our Edge Sport and my Mustang.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
I've got 50,000 miles on my build and use the devil's swill [[ aka Mobil 1 0w-40 ]] with a handful of Rotella T6 oil changes,,

I just had the heads off my car and everything looks very good.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back