Engine squeak

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Okay some background first. I recently replaced the tired motor in my 05 with a 30K mile takeout engine from LKQ. I replaced the clutch, throwout, pressure plate, friction disc and flywheel while I was there for good measure. After getting it all buttoned up I have this weird squeak. I tired replacing the ribbed idler, both smooth idlers and the belt. The damn squeak is still there. I used a stethoscope to try and pin point it coming from an accessory or pulley and can't find anything. The car runs great, runs smooth, shifts perfect and overall very happy besides this fucking noise. I am still in the process of breaking in the clutch but I don't think that is it. Maybe you guys and take a listen and let me know what you think.
https://youtu.be/KfCqAjwkNa4

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
That's the weirdest engine squeak/squeal I've ever heard. It's so intermittent and irregular I don't think its something in motion. Almost sounds like maybe like gas pressure being released through some kind of sticking valve. Do you know what I mean? Idk. Like something in the ac system or PCV valve being forced open. Maybe I'm reaching but like I said, I've never heard anything like that. You sure you didn't trap a mouse in the engine valley of something like that? It kinda sounds like when you let air out of a ballon while pinching the opening.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
No rodents in there. Haha. That is why it has me stumped. Do you think it may be an air bubble in the cooling system? It doesn't over heat and I drove it through the high desert yesterday for work and up the Cajon pass and the needle/idiot gauge didn't budge or the car show any signs of overheating.

Scrat

forum member
Reaction score
wow that is wierd, i would say pull the belt again and run the engine without it and see if the noise remains, if it doesnt then it gotta be something on the front.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
I am thinking it may be clutch related. It sounds like it is coming from the bellhousing. I replaced everything while I was in there, new ford flywheel, new valeo friction disc, pressure plate and FTE throwout bearing. Everything is torqued to spec to including the throwout, pressure plate and flywheel so IDK. I am still scratching my head. I am goign to pull the belt and start it and go from there.

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
I just had the clutch... pressure plate... flywheel and bearing replaced (Spec). And now whem first driving I get a squeal. Same thing... cannot seem to isolate it

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't do it past idle. It doesn't do it driving or while moving just at idle stationary.

Johnf78

forum member
Reaction score
So when you are stopped and in neutral if you hold the rpm at say 2500 will it still do it? Or is it only at actual idle?

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
So when you are stopped and in neutral if you hold the rpm at say 2500 will it still do it? Or is it only at actual idle?

only at idle. If I run the rpms up it goes away immediately. It is just from idle to maybe 1000 rpm.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
**UPDATE** Well I removed the drive belt and started it up. The squeak was still there. So that leaves trans/clutch. I used a LuK 07-188 clutch set. http://catalog.schaeffler-aftermarket.us/results.phtml?make=Ford&model=Mustang&year=2005&engine=4.6L
It had the pilot bearing, FTE throwout/slave cylinder, Valeo (factory maker of the factory clutch disc) friction disc and the LuK pressure plate, new ford flywheel, ford bolts and the supplied grease on the splines of the friction disc and input shaft. The pilot bearing came pre-greased with some very sticky grey grease so I didn't mess with it. Now there isn't any mechanical issues that I can tell, the car runs great, shifts perfect and is otherwise right other then the noise the video shows. So I guess I am going to let the clutch full break in (another 300 miles of easy city driving) then beat on it a little and see if it goes away. If not then I am going to have to drop the trans and see what is what down there. Damn it.

Last edited:

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
yup. Doesn't matter if the clutch is depressed or not. I am thinking it is the pilot bearing.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
SO after almost three months chasing this thing down and getting ready to pull the trans and replace the clutch, flywheel and pilot bearing I discovered the cause of the squeak. While checking my oil at the gas station I didn't push the dipstick in all the way and left it slightly out of the tube. I started the car and left and noticed that it didn't squeak. At all. When I checked the oil again at the gas station 5 days later I noticed the dipstick and pushed it back in. I started the car and it was squeaking. Then it dawned on me so when I got home I changed the oil and left the dipstick slightly out of battery and the squeak went away again. I shut it off and pushed the dipstick back in and started it again and it came back. I did it several times and same result. It seems like there is some sort of crankcase pressure that is causing the squeak. I check all my line and everything is clear and unobstructed. So I removed the o-ring on the dipstick and drilled a tiny hole in the yellow plastic to vent it. So far so good.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
No clue. The new motor is low mileage (30K) out of an 2007 GT with a automatic. Perhaps there is a difference in terms of venting with automatic vs manual trans cars. Who knows.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back