Ever miss your fog lights?

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Hey thank you so much for you're reply. I ordered the 53 dollar one in case I was to switch back to fogs. Like you said they actually work pretty damn good for my 12, can't comment on newer years. But the beginning of your post that talked about air flow is getting me excited!

That 7 bar grille was one of the better mods I have done. The 05-09 cars get the 9 bar grille, since the upper grille on the 05-09 cars is a little taller. The Roush HE sits right out in front, behind the upper + lower grille. Behind that, I have the oem ford power steering small cooler, with it's circular fins..at the base of the lower grille. ( 11+ cars are electric pwr steering). Behind the roush HE is oem AC rad. Behind the AC rad is my pair of auto tranny coolers...the oem auto tranny cooler is not very tall, but wide, and is tube + fin type. The aftermarket 2nd auto tranny cooler is made by B+M..and is the bar + plate style..and is mounted directly below the oem upper ford tranny cooler...and in series with it. The roush intercooler is sandwiched between the blower discharge + roush aluminum manifold, not visible. Then the oem eng rad is behind the pair of stacked tranny coolers. So 6 rads in all to get air through....and 7 if you had an oil cooler. IC is not in the count, since it's sandwiched.

I need all the air I can get through both those front grilles...and the oem upper grille just doesn't cut it for my application. With the oem upper grille, stopped at a red light, the heat pouring off those rads, esp the HE, gets trapped by the eng bay rad cover..and sucked straight into the snorkel. I also used an aftermarket top radiator cover, forget who made it, that is lower than oem, and forced more air into the rads. It has an offset to it, with a pair of slots milled into the aluminum, to accommodate the tops of the oem foglamps. Since the fogs are deleted, I closed off the pair of slots. IMO, the 7 bar upper grille makes the car look a lot better / meaner/finished look to it. My black 2010 car + oem upper grille came with a black pony, which was barely visible to begin with.

Last edited:

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I like the fogs. Adds a bit of redundancy if your headlights decide to crap out. Plus it's unmistakably S197 in the rearview. I liked the Agent 47 grille that was extremely overpriced - it deleted the mustang emblem and pushed the foglights to the edge and created a cleaner look.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Hey guys thinking of switching to a grill with fog light deletes. I actually use mine a lot. Do You guys ever miss them when they're gone? In an ideal world is get the at the bottom of my bumper at some point

I actually use mine all the time because my headlights aren't working. lol. I converted them to HID bulbs a long time ago so they are annoyingly bright.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey guys thinking of switching to a grill with fog light deletes. I actually use mine a lot. Do You guys ever miss them when they're gone? In an ideal world is get the at the bottom of my bumper at some point

Below is a picture of mine and I use them all the time when driving at night.
Without them the HID Ford lights simply do-not provide enough light.
Older guy here and older people loose night time vision so we need all the light we can get for safe driving at night.
I also have all the bulbs up-graded as well.

If your a young guy then you may not even miss having fog-lights.

Terry

fourdegrees11

forum member
Reaction score
Holy crap you're so awesome for finding this for me! That's the only thing I didn't like about it and I save lots of money doing so! Thank you. Can't believe I missed that

No problem man. That's the one I just put on my car.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1504717237901.jpg
    FB_IMG_1504717237901.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 9

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Nobody makes a replacement honeycomb style upper grille for a 2013/2014 car that looks exactly stock minus the round fog inserts? I can't find one. The deletes still leave the round objects in place.

gtkid

forum member
Reaction score
No problem man. That's the one I just put on my car.

That looks fuckin clean. How much of a drop is That? Looks damn near bagged. Great car, miss my silver and black 05 gt that I traded for the 12 lava red

fourdegrees11

forum member
Reaction score
That looks fuckin clean. How much of a drop is That? Looks damn near bagged. Great car, miss my silver and black 05 gt that I traded for the 12 lava red

Thanks. It's just 1.5" on Ford K-springs, Strange adjustable shocks/struts, and the Ford jounce/bump kit. Tires are 285/35r19 and 305/35r19

This is definitely as low as I would ever want to go, I scrape a little on huge speed bumps, and steep driveways. Nothing serious though.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Nobody makes a replacement honeycomb style upper grille for a 2013/2014 car that looks exactly stock minus the round fog inserts? I can't find one. The deletes still leave the round objects in place.

Base V6 model grille?

2013-Ford-Mustang-V-6-Premium-front-three-quarter-view.jpg

gtkid

forum member
Reaction score
That 7 bar grille was one of the better mods I have done. The 05-09 cars get the 9 bar grille, since the upper grille on the 05-09 cars is a little taller. The Roush HE sits right out in front, behind the upper + lower grille. Behind that, I have the oem ford power steering small cooler, with it's circular fins..at the base of the lower grille. ( 11+ cars are electric pwr steering). Behind the roush HE is oem AC rad. Behind the AC rad is my pair of auto tranny coolers...the oem auto tranny cooler is not very tall, but wide, and is tube + fin type. The aftermarket 2nd auto tranny cooler is made by B+M..and is the bar + plate style..and is mounted directly below the oem upper ford tranny cooler...and in series with it. The roush intercooler is sandwiched between the blower discharge + roush aluminum manifold, not visible. Then the oem eng rad is behind the pair of stacked tranny coolers. So 6 rads in all to get air through....and 7 if you had an oil cooler. IC is not in the count, since it's sandwiched.

I need all the air I can get through both those front grilles...and the oem upper grille just doesn't cut it for my application. With the oem upper grille, stopped at a red light, the heat pouring off those rads, esp the HE, gets trapped by the eng bay rad cover..and sucked straight into the snorkel. I also used an aftermarket top radiator cover, forget who made it, that is lower than oem, and forced more air into the rads. It has an offset to it, with a pair of slots milled into the aluminum, to accommodate the tops of the oem foglamps. Since the fogs are deleted, I closed off the pair of slots. IMO, the 7 bar upper grille makes the car look a lot better / meaner/finished look to it. My black 2010 car + oem upper grille came with a black pony, which was barely visible to begin with.

Jesus that's a lot of information. Saving that. Thank you so mich for your reply

46addict

Reaction score
I am keeping my fogs. The stock halogen headlights leave a lot to be desired when there are no street lights. Upgrading to LED/HID is not in the cards because the OEM HID retrofit is big money and aftermarket HID reliability just isn't there yet. I am hesitant to switch to LEDs without swapping the headlight housings because of light output, beam pattern, etc.

But then again I might be stuck in 2010 technology. I'll have to do some research to figure out if there have been improvements. Either way I'd rather spend the money on other parts of the car.

Last edited:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I've got a set of morimoto hid projectors swapped into mine.
Fx-r's, dude I know says they are oem quality projectors

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
The fog lights on S197s are purely for aesthetics. Its all about the retro look.

A true fog light is low to the ground and is supposed to have a flat and wide beam. This is because fog is thinnest low to the ground and illuminating the fog with a high mounted light will actually impede your vision.

Next time there is fog or its snowing turn your fogs on and off. s197 fogs are indeed pointless.

Fog lights on most cars these days is purely aesthetics. If you don't count using them to determine that your oncoming traffic actually does not have their high beams on (when you turn high beams on fogs turn off, so if you are being blinded by a car with its fogs on at least you know those are not the high beams).

fun fact, the bright red light some people put on the back of minis, fiats, and subarus is not really a taillight, its called a rear fog light. The point is so that you can see the back of the car in the fog. In Europe where they are required cars have a button on the dash to turn them off.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think "fog light" is just a colloquialism. They are definitely not meant for fog. In super heavy fog, you get the best visibility with just your parking lights. Whether being able to see is more important than being able to be seen is up to you.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
True fog lights used to be Amber.....

I actually added (base don't have them) fog....errr...driving lights to mine. And they don't turn off w/high beams. :)

I use them all the time. I went with the stock V6 grille with the small lights. IMO more retro than the GT rally lights. Dusk/dawn, its parking lights and fogs. At night, all on. They provide significant additional light. All LED ofcourse.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I used to have 100W driving lights that came ON with the high beams (through a relay) on my old Thunderbird (I drove a lot of country roads at night). It would throw a lot of light with that setup.

Now I live in town and I barely ever even use my high beams.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Base V6 model grille?
Not a bad idea question is would it fit and can it be had for less than $150. Done a little searching and no way is it worth $300 for a piece of hard plastic lol. Maybe off a junk yard car?

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Not a bad idea question is would it fit and can it be had for less than $150. Done a little searching and no way is it worth $300 for a piece of hard plastic lol. Maybe off a junk yard car?

Yeah, it should fit, NP. The GT/Boss/V6 front fascia is the same, and as I mentioned, I even put my GT grille and fog lights in my wife's V6 with no fitment issues. In additions to junk yards, maybe check out ebay or sites like newtakeoff.com for one.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
I cut out some metal covers from a sheet of metal with perforated holes in it, rattle canned them satin black and installed them between the lights and the grill piece, they hold tight, look like intakes but still function as lights if you like that look..

I'd post a picture but I'm on my phone, you can see them on my Instagram @refinedimmaturity if you're interested..

EDIT: https://www.instagram.com/p/BYdlyvuhUmm/

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back