Exhaust - Dual or single - Budget solutions?

Mcduugle

Reaction score
I have a 2007 S197 V6 - Looking to add a tasteful exhaust sound, nothing too loud. Considering going dual as well, as I would like a little performance upgrade to go along with it. Any suggestions for a budget solution?

Called the muffler man and they said $460 for duals and $120-$180 for single.

I like the sound of the Flowmaster American thunder but that alone is ~280... and no mention of added HP? Looking forward to what you guys think!

JimC

Reaction score
Flowmaster had a great sound on my 2006 4.0. But an exhaust change won't get you any horsepower to speak of. Not enough to make a difference and within the expected variance between one dyno run and the next.

SGTatSPOD

Reaction score
Your answer is neither useful or comedic.....and you're an administrator? The thread isnt useless, but I think we know what is......

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your answer is neither useful or comedic.....and you're an administrator? The thread isnt useless, but I think we know what is......

I am THE ADMINISTRATOR!

giphy.gif

boo hoo.. don't like the culture of the board... there's a logout feature....

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I have a 2007 S197 V6 - Looking to add a tasteful exhaust sound, nothing too loud. Considering going dual as well, as I would like a little performance upgrade to go along with it. Any suggestions for a budget solution?

Called the muffler man and they said $460 for duals and $120-$180 for single.

I like the sound of the Flowmaster American thunder but that alone is ~280... and no mention of added HP? Looking forward to what you guys think!

You could look in Craigslist or ebay for a used takeoff stock GT H-pipe and catbacks. It won't quite be a straight bolt on swap but it can be done, and swapping a GT rear bumper cover will provide the cutout for the second tailpipe.

SGTatSPOD

Reaction score
No, the board is just fine.....its the “Administrator” who needs an attitude check....arrogance is not a virtue, its a defect.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
No, the board is just fine.....its the “Administrator” who needs an attitude check....arrogance is not a virtue, its a defect.

You’ve made 2 posts total and wasted them both in here??!!
Talk about useless...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Most cars between 1975 to 1985 or maybe later had single exhaust with fake dual exhaust from cat back.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
v6 will always sound awful, but a truck 5.0 goes right in.

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
Necromancy too!

I don't like the tone of these personnel attacks.

[emoji16]

Take the muffler off, drive an extra chambering hole through it with a piece of rebar. If you like it, done. If not, back to the drawing board.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Here is my progression:
V6, added pypes dual conversion with X pipe. Mostly for the look of two tailpipes. Sound was meh.
One muffler hanger broke off, replaced mufflers with SSS pair. (Lmr I think) Much better sound.
Coyote swapped it when clutch went out. - Sounds way better now. Kept the ota pipes and the SSS mufflers (straight through design)

Flusher

Reaction score
Except for my Mustangs, I have/had Flowmasters on everything else I own(d). I really haven't been a fan of Flowmasters on 4 and 6 cylinders.

With that being said, for the 05-09 V6, I kinda like the single exhaust sound over all of the duals that I have ever heard. They just sound too ricey for my taste.

My son has a 12 3.7L V6, with Corsa Sports, long tube headers, and an X pipe, that sounds pretty rowdy, I really like the way his sounds. You would probably consider his too loud.

Assuming you will keep the exhaust manifolds and wanted to stick with singles, I think your most performance will come from a legit merge, within 5 feet of the manifolds, according to the cast exhaust manifolds circle track class guys.

Some thoughts about muffler shop exhaust, the pinch bends are way more restrictive than mandrel bends, 2-3/4" dies are very rare, and it is a big jump from 2-1/2" to 3".

I can tell you that a Jeep 4.0L does not like 3" at all. We did back-to-back-to-back tests on a 94 XJ, with 2-1/4", 2-1/2", and 3" exhaust with 2-chamber Delta Flow Flowmasters and a Banks header. The 3" did sound mean, but it was a dog -- 2-1/2" it was.

I have to admit that I see a lot of Coyotes during my daily commute, and they all sound way more badass than my 08 GT500 with Magnaflows.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
A dual exhaust on the 4.0L would sound good as long as it's a divorced system i.e. no H or X crossover. The type of muffler makes all the difference. Chambered mufflers such as Flowmaster produce a deeper rumble, whereas straight-through mufflers such as Magnaflow are more raspy especially if there are no cats upstream.

@Flusher , I had a modified Borla header with 3" outlet, 3" downpipe, 2.5" Flowmaster center muffler, Magnaflow rear muffler (no cat), and 2.5" tailpipe on my old '92 XJ with a 4.6L stroker and it sounded great. Nice deep rumble at idle, throaty growl during acceleration, and no drone.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back