Exhaust rattle is going to drive me nuts

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on how I can fix this? Since I've installed the cams my exhaust rattles like crazy. I have no idea where to start. In the car it sounds like it's coming from the exhaust tip area but when I get out, shake the tips with the car off, I hear absolutely nothing.

Any ideas?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Hitting the heat shields maybe? you'd be surprised how much the whole exhaust system moves while you're
My right exhaust tip hits the bumper support on a right turn and it's like half an inch away.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
You need to have the car put on a drive on ramp and let it idle. With someone under the car it will be easier to find. Could be one of the clamps also. The bolts on the clamps are known for getting messed up and not tightening all the way. Hence the rattle!

V8 Vol

El Jefe
Reaction score
Check out the hangers for the mufflers. I had a rattle that was solved by covering the passenger side front most hanger with rubber hose. When the system was heated it moved rearward just enough to where the hanger was barely touching the mount (metal on metal contact).

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
I found one rattle now there's one or two left. The hanger on the pass side exhaust tip was causing the tip to hit the bumper cover when it shook. Bent it a little and now that one is better. That was the most annoying, but now I want to find them all.

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen on my 06 Roush. It'd be fine cold, then as it heated, the hanger tip would tap against a piece of metal behind the bumper cover. Cut a half inch off the tip of the hanger solved the issue for me

bullitt2086

forum member
Reaction score
Agreed with the rest I had a very annoying loud rattle in my 08 and it was coming from the exhaust hangers easily fixed with electrical tape

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
Agreed with the rest I had a very annoying loud rattle in my 08 and it was coming from the exhaust hangers easily fixed with electrical tape

I'm going to have to try that. Apparently I didn't bend the hanger like I thought I did? Maybe the rubber just stretched out then retracted because the noise came back and the tip was in the same lopsided ass position it was in before. I'm going to try some electrical tape on the hanger and see if that'll take care of it tonight.

V8 Vol

El Jefe
Reaction score
I would think the electrical tape would eventually get worn through. If you can locate where its hitting I would highly suggest using rubber hose (autozone). I cut a small piece and clamped it on......if I remember when I get home, I will take a pic.

hotrod_renegade

Captain Hindsight
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen on my 06 Roush. It'd be fine cold, then as it heated, the hanger tip would tap against a piece of metal behind the bumper cover. Cut a half inch off the tip of the hanger solved the issue for me

+1. Also when I installed my H-pipe and axleback, the driver's side section that runs up over the axle rotated downward slightly, and would rattle on the top of the axle support when everything warmed up.

Last edited:

V8 Vol

El Jefe
Reaction score
zave8u9a.jpg

When heated the hose rubs on the muffler mount.

"Can you see me, am I clear to you, picture me rollin"

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Check the hangers on the trans crossmember, the over axle pipes where they go over the axle, and the muffler hangers. Those are where all of my exhaust rattles have come from.

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
I've used the rubber hose fix myself.
I need to get under mine today to tighten everything up, after the H pipe install a month ago I think things have loosened up some.

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
The bolts that hold the washer in place should have a washer that can rattle if those mf'ers aren't torqued down hard enough. I was chasing a rattle for over an hour one night before I decided to just start going after all the bolts holding the hangers in. No more rattle. Turns out one on my passenger side felt tight by hand but was several turns off from tight when I got on it with a wrench. Sometimes it's the stupid stuff.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine was on the trans cross member bolt. The exhaust would vibrate and the pipe would tink up against the bolt head of the cross member. A 1/8" plastic tywrap around the bolt so that it was between the bolt head and the exhaust pipe silenced it. That was two or three years ago, haven't touched it since.

GoneFord

forum member
Reaction score

Had the exact same issue.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I used the rubber hose fix it method too. Hanger was too long and was touching the bumper.

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
It's in the rear. I got one figured out, the other is too random to figure out where it comes from. Thank god I got the main one done.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back