experience with child car seats in a mustang?

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
I'm relocating for a new job and will be losing the company car, a 4 door sedan, which will leave us with the family car an Explorer and the mustang. We are trying to see if we can get by with the two vehicles and the mustang would only be needed for me to pick up the kids from daycare and just 5 miles or under type trips. I have two car seats, both forward facing now, and I know the mustangs have the latch system for them so that's good but was wondering if any of you have any experience with two car seats in the back of a mustang? Mines a convertible so when the top is down putting them in and out should be easy.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
put a pillow or some towels on the seat and build it up until it is flat since they are so deep and strap it in. should be fine.

Johnf78

forum member
Reaction score
I do it all the time with my kids but they are in boosters. When my daughter had the regular front facing car seat it was bulky but doable for the back.

jmauld

forum member
Reaction score
I had one in the back of my mustang. No problem as long as it's forward facing. Protect your seats with towels. The plastic seat and the belts will damage your seats if you don't.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm going to pull them out of the Subaru and try them in the mustang for a test fit. Sure would be great if we don't have to have 3 cars. Plus hopefully NW Arkansas winter won't be like Wisconsin and I can drive it year round.

gtman

forum member
Reaction score
It will work, be careful with that fragile as a potato chip rear seat decline lever.

claudermilk

Reaction score
The question has been answered, but I'll add my data point anyway. In DD mode, I have forward-facing seats in both rear spots. 5yo & 3yo. Works just fine. I just have the seats in there & hooked with latch & 3-point. The towel idea is a good one--I should do that.

The only damage so far is the 5yo sits on the passenger side & has started a habit of fiddling with the front seat belt; I think he's b0rked up the catches on the helper arm. $197 to replace the entire assembly (only way it shows up).

HurricaneJesus

Left Lane Member
Reaction score
Hell, we take family trips in mine. Luckily my wife is 5'1". Back when my youngest was rear-facing, yes, that was pretty cramped. Now with a forward-facing seat and my 7-year-old in a booster there's plenty of room for us.
Edit: Getting my four-year-old in (2010 coupe) involves a no-look granny shot of sorts. Actually he's at the point now where he climbs in himself. Also, if you're unfortunate enough to have to undo the LATCH system, you're gonna sweat all over your work clothes.

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What decline levers? My kids busted them in .002 seconds...... hahaha

LOL mine too.

But I have all 3 in the back before, infant seat reverse center and two boosters. Brought my youngest daughter home from the hospital in it as well. ;)

HurricaneJesus

Left Lane Member
Reaction score
LOL mine too.

But I have all 3 in the back before, infant seat reverse center and two boosters. Brought my youngest daughter home from the hospital in it as well. ;)

And here I've been thinking if I knocked my wife up again I'd have to sell the Stang. I owe you one!

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm bookmarking this thread. Because I've always said when we have kids, I'm bringing them home from the hospital in the Mustang. :thumb:

kytoploader

forum member
Reaction score
Not trying to advertise but I designed the seat in the links below. You will never sweat with latch again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2jP9uIZ7NI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvchkDWPPcM

Hell, we take family trips in mine. Luckily my wife is 5'1". Back when my youngest was rear-facing, yes, that was pretty cramped. Now with a forward-facing seat and my 7-year-old in a booster there's plenty of room for us.
Edit: Getting my four-year-old in (2010 coupe) involves a no-look granny shot of sorts. Actually he's at the point now where he climbs in himself. Also, if you're unfortunate enough to have to undo the LATCH system, you're gonna sweat all over your work clothes.

HurricaneJesus

Left Lane Member
Reaction score
I'm bookmarking this thread. Because I've always said when we have kids, I'm bringing them home from the hospital in the Mustang. :thumb:

Both of mine came home in Mustangs. There was a time when the only sure-fire way to get my oldest to sleep was a ride in my '02GT.
My parents had three kids and a Karmann Ghia so I guess I've never subscribed to the 'you need a big car once you have kids' theory.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
I put a rear facing one in my car once. And by I, I mean the broad did it. And then her kid was cute all the way through dinner, and made it so I felt bad trying to hit it with the mom.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back