F150 Ecoboost Builds

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I went adjustable Ranchos on my Ram instead of Bilsteins and have been extremely pleased with thier durability and ride quality. However I have also had Bilsteins on numerous cars and they have always served me well. I went Rancho on the Ram just to try something different.

You're making this hard!!!!!:clap:

What are your thoughts on the adjustable Ranchos? When you dialed enough damping in to get them to not "flubber" over bumps did they get too firm? Or do you think they're relatively plush still? The Ranchos should be able to provide good damping to control the wheel weight without going "stiff" because of their "has an actual valve" design. Well, at least compared to the stock "bleed orifice" dampers.

rs9000_lg.jpg

Lowfast

Just another idiot
Reaction score
I have run through all setting from full stiff to off-road super soft. For the street I believe I have them at 6 all around. They ride great and the truck is much more controlled than stock. I do have oversized tires on mine as well 34's over the stock 32's. I have no complaints. The super soft setting is fun off-road. Makes it ride like trophy truck and takes higher speed bumps and such like a champ. They are a very nice setup for the cost.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I have run through all setting from full stiff to off-road super soft. For the street I believe I have them at 6 all around. They ride great and the truck is much more controlled than stock. I do have oversized tires on mine as well 34's over the stock 32's. I have no complaints. The super soft setting is fun off-road. Makes it ride like trophy truck and takes higher speed bumps and such like a champ. They are a very nice setup for the cost.

Hmmmmmmmm, now I'm thinking.

You have them at 6. Is 1 soft and 9 hard? Or the other way around?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I also have used Bilsteins and liked them, was told Rancheros were not that good anymore....hmmm...

I have a 170 tsat to install, I always thought a cooler tsat was bs but there has been a lot of discussion about how well they work on the EB's so for $40 gave it a try; my tuner said they work with decreased ECT.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
5100's get my vote. I recommend them daily to my customers, and ran them on my 1996 F250. On my Excursion I'm planning on the 5160 or Fox 2.0.

Only thing that I wasn't a fan of is the steel body.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW, I ran 5100's on my Expedition. I know it's a different platform, but I had 24" rims on it. Going with the Bilsteins made a big difference in the ride. And it towed our boat better as well. The rear didn't bounce with the Bilsteins.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
BTW, the only real reason that I lean toward the Ranchos is because I can't seem to "trust" other people's reviews of the ride quality of the Billsteins. Everybody's tastes are different... and most of the guys that review them care more about off road. I don't do much off road at all, so I don't care. I want a smooth ride. That said, I figured the Rancho adjustability would give me the best chance at getting it where I wanted it.

Not trying to sell you on either one... just saying. I really don't think you can go wrong either way. BUT, if you do get the Billsteins, I would be interested in your review.

So I'll throw in my two cents because it sounds kind of similar to my story. My main concern was about the ride. I had heard people say the Bilstein 5100s were stiff, etc. So, I bought the Rancho RS9000s and had to have two rear shocks replaced due to them leaking. Perfect for me as it was on my brand new driveway for my home I just had built. After the second time I decided to go Bilstein 5100s. I wish I would of just went 5100s from the beginning as I'm totally happy with them.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
170 tsat installed and that had to be one of the most frustrating jobs...whoever decided that angling the tsat housing like that needs to be kicked in the balls..repeatedly...:(

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
170 tsat installed and that had to be one of the most frustrating jobs...whoever decided that angling the tsat housing like that needs to be kicked in the balls..repeatedly...:(

Did you know that you have to pull the timing chains to replace the water pump?:omfg:

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Forgot to let you guys know - Just took in a 2012 F150 EcoBoost this last week with 190k miles. Never had any engine work. Everyone told me to appraise it without glancing at the miles and I was shocked on how well it drove.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back