First time 3V build

Nick C

Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post here, I've had my 2006 GT for about a year now and i have decided to go with a turbo build. i am an audi technician by trade and have done tons of piston replacements , cylinder heads , ect. But these are just simple parts swaps, no measuring clearances or anything like that. My plan is to get a cheap longblock , get the mating surfaces resurfaced and cylinder walls honed , and throw in a forged rotating assembly ( crank , pistons and rings , rods , bearings , and ARP hardware ). My question is where can i learn everything i will need to know about building my 4.6L 3v? What are all of the different clearances i will need to check , how to check them, what the specs are (what piston gap,compression ect) , and what the preferred year engine would be to start with. My goal is to have a reliable turbo 600 whp build for a weekend street car with possibly the occasional track day. Are there any books or anything i can read? I am trying to learn as much aa i can before i start my build.. Thanks for any helpful info !

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
I think Sean hyland wrote a book about it. And from what I've learned, even on high horsepower builds, factory clearances are still used through out the block.

L and M engines will also answer questions sometimes.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Look at threads by BruceH. He did some great write ups and referenced books IIRC

axis101

Reaction score
G’morn Nick C, Where about do you live? If you happen to be so lucky, there could be a competent builder of Modulars close to you. Over the years I’ve met many Racers, engineers, and excellent conscientious builders through sincere shared interest in quality mechanics. It sounds like you have enough knowledge that you could meet someone in those areas willing to have u bring them a coffee. Respect for someone dedicated usually doesn’t go unnoticed. Someday you’ll be filling those shoes.

Let us know how your build is going.

Pretty ambitious w/turbo. 600 is easy with SC, Centri or PD, and less expensive. But turbo certainly raises the eyebrows.

Nick C

Reaction score
Look at threads by BruceH. He did some great write ups and referenced books IIRC
Thanks ! Gotta get more familiar with the website and searching , holy hell he has alot of threads lol

Nick C

Reaction score
G’morn Nick C, Where about do you live? If you happen to be so lucky, there could be a competent builder of Modulars close to you. Over the years I’ve met many Racers, engineers, and excellent conscientious builders through sincere shared interest in quality mechanics. It sounds like you have enough knowledge that you could meet someone in those areas willing to have u bring them a coffee. Respect for someone dedicated usually doesn’t go unnoticed. Someday you’ll be filling those shoes.

Let us know how your build is going.

Pretty ambitious w/turbo. 600 is easy with SC, Centri or PD, and less expensive. But turbo certainly raises the eyebrows.
Morning ! I'm in New Jersey. At this point i have upgraded my suspension , did the brembo front brake conversion. I definetely want the chassis to be able to out perform the engine before i start my build. And i always thought it was easier to make big(ish) power from turbos than from superchargers as turbo is more efficient. I realize the install will be harder just due to the manifolds and plumbing but i feel like the thrill of the power delivery of a turbo will be more exhilarating than the more linear powerband of a PD blower. I'm no expert in this area by any means though this is all just what I've gathered from my research

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
+1 for the book written by Sean Hyland... Tons if great info and specs in there.

Over on the Modular Fords forum there is also an extremely detailed write up titled "Aluminator Gibtec Build" by user JRGoffin. Tons if specs and technical details in that thread.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
The Sean Hyland book is great starting point, however the 3v data isn't all correct. It is still worth having

Back