Fitting a 460 BBF and C-6 trans into an s197....the "lower buck" way

Discussion in 'Hardcore Tech=*MOTOR SWAPS*' started by 83-88T-Bird Guy, Mar 5, 2019.

1. 83-88T-Bird Guy

83-88T-Bird Guy forum member

Let me start off by saying that this is not so much a "build" project as it is a "fitting" exercise.
    I have different plans for my blue 2005 GT later. I'm just posting these pics for informational purposes for those that might be curious how a 460 will fit into an s197 chassis.
    However, because I bought the car as a rolling chassis and was already fitted with a AJE tubular k-member and a BMR lower radiator support, I thought I would spend some time to see how everything related to the 460 swap fits and then fab up the engine mounts and trans cross member for the C-6 auto trans.
    I do have plans later to use all these parts ( including the tubular k-member) on my red 2005 V-6 ( in the 1st pic)

I have several goals in mind to keep the swap costs down:
    * I want to be able to use a 14 x 3 inch Moroso hi-flow open element air cleaner under the stock hood
    * I want to be able to retain the stock s197 fan assy.
    * I want to be able to use a standard length 460 water pump and clear the s197 fan
    * Use readily available 460 swap headers

I have a thread on my racing page on FB with all of this info:
    https://www.facebook.com/Almack-Racing-230363294062512/

I am using parts I have laying around so please excuse the rusty bare block and dirty transmission. These are for fitting purposes only.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  2. 83-88T-Bird Guy

I tried a set of large Hooker brand CJ long tube headers ( for a 460 Fox swap). The passenger side fit very nice. On the driver's side, the # 6 and 7 cylinder tubes cleared the steering shaft but because the Fox swap headers are designed to make the #8 tube go up and over the steering shaft, there is not enough of a gap between the steering shaft and the frame rail on the s197

[​IMG]

So the next thing I tried are my 460 headers from my 88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe.
    I just so happens that Fox swap 460 mid length headers fit perfect in the s197....both sides. Plenty of room on the passenger side

[​IMG]

hookburn63 likes this.
  3. 83-88T-Bird Guy

[​IMG]

Driver's side...plenty of room.
    (However, the engine sits all the way back to within 3/4 " of the firewall)

[​IMG]

4. 83-88T-Bird Guy

This is a shot from under the car on the driver's side. The AJE straight bar that connects both sides has been removed in this photo ( loose bolt shown) I believe a custom bent bar will be needed to go between the back of the oil pan and the transmission

[​IMG]

5. 83-88T-Bird Guy

Just gotta fab up the brackets to connect the block to the AJE k-member mount stands. AJE makes these 460 swap brackets but I don't think they would work with the engine position I have with this car. Most people move the engine forward but I want to be able to use a stock 460 water pump so mine is set back real close to the firewall

[​IMG]

Plenty of floor clearance for the mid length Fox swap headers. These are the headers I originally built to fit my '87 460 Turbo Coupe T-Bird

[​IMG]

6. 83-88T-Bird Guy

A little up close and personal time with a BFH provided some clearance for the transmission servo on the right side ( ignore the old trans cooler line. I had yet to remove it out of the way)

[​IMG]

7. 83-88T-Bird Guy

Very little clearance between the big Canton oil pan and the steering rack. One option is to cut off the lower tabs that mount the rack to the k-member and lower the rack 1/2 to 5/8 inch. I do not want to alter the pan. I could use a stock F350 pan and that would lower the engine 3/4 inch

[​IMG]

Cutting the mounting tabs on the AJE k-member for the steering rack and re-welding them lower looks tempting.

[​IMG]

8. 83-88T-Bird Guy

The '83-'97 F350 460 pan would be perfect. I have one of those as well and will fit it after I get the c-6 trans crossmember fabbed up

[​IMG]

hookburn63 likes this.
  9. 83-88T-Bird Guy

The engine is still high in the front but I have 1 of 3 options to lower it. It has a Canton pan now but a F350 oil pan would lower it another 3/4 inch

[​IMG]

10. 83-88T-Bird Guy

If I can keep the engine as far rearward as possible then I should be able to retain the s197 fan while using a standard length 460 water pump. It's going to be close by less than 1/4 inch

[​IMG]

11. 83-88T-Bird Guy

The left rear of the C-6 trans case barely clears the floorpan

[​IMG]

12. 83-88T-Bird Guy

How convenient....the s197 upper radiator hose lines up to the 460 t-stat housing

[​IMG]

13. 83-88T-Bird Guy

Misc pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Matthew Selby

Matthew Selby Junior Member

Do you have a part number on the headers you used? If so can you email it to me at [email protected]. I don't usually get on here a lot or have a lot of time to get on here. I'm getting ready to start my s197 460 swap. Thank you

15. 83-88T-Bird Guy

CPR Parts in California shows the part # S460 for 79-95 Mustang 460 swap mid-length headers ( like in my pics )

http://www.cprparts.com/products/headers/headers_sportsman.html

There is a group on facebook dedicated to the 460 s197 swap. There are 4 of us doing active swaps. You should check it out:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/576060102874419/

16. 83-88T-Bird Guy

Got the trans crossmember done. I made it adjustable because I have other plans for this car beyond the 460 fitting exercise

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. 83-88T-Bird Guy

Mission accomplished.
    I met my goals of getting the 460 to fit under the stock hood with a 14 x 3 inch air cleaner ( with the hood blanket intact) as well as get a stock Ford production line water pump to clear the stock s197 fan and radiator. All of this using a large Canton oil pan and not altering the AJE k-memeber.
    The s197 radiator would be fine for the track but not enough capacity for street driving. Next I am going to fit a Fox body large aluminum radiator and a '98 Contour fan setup in the car so it could be driven on the street ( eventually)

( The cogged water pump pulley is barely on the water pump hub because I do not want to drill the pulley pilot hole to 3/4 inch just yet. So there is another 3/8 inch clearance more I will get)

The motor mount pics were before the final welding was done last week. These mounts set the block to rear 1 1/2 inches more than the AJE mounts do.
    This is also the highest a 460 block will sit in the chassis and still clear the factory p/s rack while using a large oil pan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    hookburn63 likes this.
  18. 83-88T-Bird Guy

I had to add a 1/2 inch spacer on the carb to get the 14 x 3 Moroso air cleaner to fit the Holley carb just right. It makes the air cleaner sit higher than the top of the fenders

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. 83-88T-Bird Guy

It all clears tho.
    I had to use an Edelbrock Torker II intake which is the lowest hi-flow intake I could find for the 460

20. 83-88T-Bird Guy

Just out of curiousity, I wondered if I could add boost later if I wanted. So I fitted a Procharger carb bonnet on the setup. It clears as well :)

I consider this fitting project a success

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EBABlacknChrome likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.