Ford engine harness tape

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Kind of a lame question, but I'm sure a few wouldn't mind an answer. A few times now I have removed the ford tape from the factory harness to make alterations to my harness. Then used 3M tape to replace the ford stuff.....well the 3M never holds, gets all sticky and just looks like ass.

So....is there a specific name for the tape that ford uses from the factory? It never leaves a residue and usually stays stuck....unlike the 3M shit.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I use the hell out of black electrical tape. Never had a problem as long I apply it to a clean surface and stretch it bit while putting it on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Last time I did my harness, I made sure to get the best shit I could find.....I hate it, it's falling off and leaving a gooey mess behind...hopefully this does the trick!

Plan to rewrap it all before the new motor goes in!

86merc

forum member
Reaction score
Last time I did my harness, I made sure to get the best shit I could find.....I hate it, it's falling off and leaving a gooey mess behind...hopefully this does the trick!

Plan to rewrap it all before the new motor goes in!

I have used the non stick tape for years. Fold over itself to start it. Then pull it tight as you wrap it. It will stretch some making for a neat wiring harness. Then just use sticky tape the end of the non stick tape run.

There is a more expensive tape that has a cloth weave like a lot of the OE harnesses. That is really nice but real expensive.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Kind of a lame question, but I'm sure a few wouldn't mind an answer. A few times now I have removed the ford tape from the factory harness to make alterations to my harness. Then used 3M tape to replace the ford stuff.....well the 3M never holds, gets all sticky and just looks like ass.

So....is there a specific name for the tape that ford uses from the factory? It never leaves a residue and usually stays stuck....unlike the 3M shit.

Get some cold seal tape / cold shrink tape. http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d326_electrical_tape.html .Look at the bottom of the page. Some autoparts stores have a version of this. It works great and doesn't leave that horrible sticky residue that electrical tape does.

734_tape.jpg

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Well I'll be damned, more than one type of black electrical tape!!!!

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
i beleive i have seen this at advance auto, its about 10 a roll and its only 25 or 50ft....expensive stuff!

Yup that and the super 33 tape advance sells.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

TJL442

forum member
Reaction score
Get some cold seal tape / cold shrink tape. http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d326_electrical_tape.html .Look at the bottom of the page. Some autoparts stores have a version of this. It works great and doesn't leave that horrible sticky residue that electrical tape does.

734_tape.jpg

I use a tape like that on airplanes that I work on and that shit rocks. Some hardware stores also carry a tape like that in the electrical section. I never use regular electric tape after using the fusion style tapes.

Tim

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
That harness wrap is good stuff - but it's just used for minor splices and to seal the edges of actual wire wrap.

If you are rewiring a car, I suggest Painless Wiring Powerbraid. The stuff looks great (a black mesh braid) and protects wiring better than just about anything else.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back