Ford Racing Vs. Koni Str.Ts?

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
From what Ive heard, the Sports of full soft offer more dampening than the STR.Ts do.
Id love to take advantage of this sale and pick up some Sports, but Im not sure I can justify the price right now.
Im planning on just leaving it stock for now, instead of basically wasting money on a marginal shock that will just have to be replaced with something good when I start autocrossing more regularly.

On a related note. How is the crosstalk on the Sports in this chassis? I know theyre popular with Hondas too, but I remember hearing that a lot of Miata guys dont like them because of crosstalk.

If you can't justify the price, especially now, you never will. I have Sport dyno curves, there is very little crosstalk. Much less than other shocks I've had that cost more (some of which has a much crosstalk as D-specs which are marketed as double acting single adjustment shocks).

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
But you are talking specifically about guys who run the Koni sports. They bought them for a reason. Most of us don't have a need for them. And I'd bet 95%+ of the mustang population would prefer the ride of the STR.T's (or Sports on low). If you are a serious racer, then obviously you should step it up. In this case we are talking about a guy who is running sport line springs...

Ok, how about this then... I've had some folks get STR.T's and then come back for Sports later. Many don't, but more than one person has.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for to a large degree. STR.T's are NOT equivalent to Sport dampers. Those that have sports don't tend to run the setting that mimics the STR.T setting.

You can bet me all you like, but you are making an assumption though I'm not sure what it's based on. 95% of my customers are street drivers. :)

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Thats fine.... Personally cant see a need for anything more on the street, especially if you care about ride quality, but to each their own.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Fair enough. Then again I personally don't see the need for forged wheels for the street either. See, the trouble is what one person defines as good or right, someone else has a different take on.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Fair enough. Then again I personally don't see the need for forged wheels for the street either. See, the trouble is what one person defines as good or right, someone else has a different take on.

I understand what you are saying but I'm not sure forged or flow-formed wheels are a good example because there is no trade-off. Everything about lighter and stronger wheels is good. When it comes to dampers and springs, it's a trade off of ride comfort the firmer you go.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
If you can't justify the price, especially now, you never will. I have Sport dyno curves, there is very little crosstalk. Much less than other shocks I've had that cost more (some of which has a much crosstalk as D-specs which are marketed as double acting single adjustment shocks).

Im very tempted by your sale, but Ive got other priorities right now, haha.

Thats good to hear about the crosstalk, I probably got some bad second hand information.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for to a large degree. STR.T's are NOT equivalent to Sport dampers. Those that have sports don't tend to run the setting that mimics the STR.T setting.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. If the sports are only adjustable on rebound, and the STRTs are allegedly "equivalent to the sports on soft", that would imply that the STRTs have the same bump dampening and the lowest rebound dampening of the sports, which doesnt sound very likely to me.
A shock dyno comparison would settle it. It would be awesome if you could share that information.

Last edited:

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, while I have the Sport curves (which I paid for to get the information on and just can't give away), I don't have STR.T curves, because they have not enough rebound for anyone that knows enough to want dyno curves. They are economy minded upgrade shocks. Maybe you can get that stuff from Koni...

There is lots of bad information, including one semi-famous site from Canada that has all kinds of bunk on it.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back