Free or cheap mods

UnseenRacing

Unseen Racing Performance
Reaction score
So as anyone who mods their S197 knows the stock intake is restrictive due to the restrictor valves placed in on the bottom of the intake. well steeda and a few others are selling aftermarket plates that delete the throttle valves there, however they do require expensive tuning not to mention they run about 300 bucks. well my race team has done this in the shop. There are a few downsides, 1. you are not going to get the entire ammount of horse power that you would with purchasing the aftermarket part, and even with the aftermarket part you will feel a very small ammount of bottom end loss. The perks of this are 1. Its simple 2. All you need is an 8mm socket and some star head bits for a screwdriver or drill, and a dremel tool or small whell cutoff tool. 3. It takes about 1 hour to complete and requires no computer tuning. Ok so if you feel ready to continu here is what you do. 1. disconnect the battery and remove your Throttle body and air intake tube from the manifold. 2. remove all vacume lines from the manifold. 2. unbolt the washer bolts that hold down the fuel rails and injectors. 3. gently remove the fuel rails and injectors from the manifold, keep the injectors in the fuel rail or you will have fuel everywhere. do this for both sides. 4. there are 5 bolts holding down the manifold on each side one of them is in the middle on the inside of the manifold (if you look down inbetween the runners you will see them. 5. remove any wire loom holders or electrical connections attached to the manifold (be careful one of the holders is a small thin plastic one mounted to teh back of the manifold if you are not careful you will break it.) 6. remove the manifld from the engine. 6. use your star shaped bit to remove the charge motion plates from the manifold(this is the little metal pieces with the throttle valves in it)7. using a dremel with a cutoff wheel look for the side that has the notches cut from it and using your dremel cut them flush against the bar. this will basically cut the restriction in half. do this for all 8 of the valves. Once complete reinstall in the opposate order. If you do it right you will not get any annoying check engine lights or errors. you will feel more power on the top end and some more torque. If you do this and a dyno tune you can get about 20 horses out of this simple hour job. whithout a tune on average its about 10 ponies more under the hood. If you have any questions or dont feel comfortable doing this without seeing what it all looks like let me know and I can put together a picture packet and directions to e-mail. We also perform this in our shop if anyone feels like shipping off their manifold we will also port it to match the engine better as well if anyone lives in the Canon City Colorado area stop in and see us. we charge $50 bucks for this service plus shipping if you have to ship your manifold. We also do porting on restrictive stock throttle bodies.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Unseen, its a nice thing you are wanting to do, but I saw that about 2 years ago when I first joined this forum........if yo want something "cheap" run a short belt, that will give you a tenth to a tenth and half this is a belt that bypasses you power steering pump. belt is $28 plus tax

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Unseen, its a nice thing you are wanting to do, but I saw that about 2 years ago when I first joined this forum........if yo want something "cheap" run a short belt, that will give you a tenth to a tenth and half this is a belt that bypasses you power steering pump. belt is $28 plus tax

That and taking a good run every day. Which btw, I need to get my fat ass to do pretty soon... :damnit:

Reaction score
Jeez guys, nice way to welcome a new member.

For what it's worth, I haven't seen anyone remove only one of the butterflies' wings.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That and taking a good run every day. Which btw, I need to get my fat ass to do pretty soon... :damnit:

As long as I can pull the shifter into drive and mash the pedal to the floor, I am in perfect shap..........lol

Kaldar142

Reaction score
^ I remember when I got stuck in rush hour in my 500whp WRX.... Oh man that was hell.... Middle of summer, no a/c, uber stiff clutch, sparco bucket seats.

Yeah, never again LOL

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Get a stiffer clutch and drive during rush hour. Work out while you commute. My old 5.0 had a rediculously stiff clutch. It was like pushing a 100lb weight it twas.

My clutch sucks as it is. It's stock, but it feels like the old welding truck I used to drive, 82 GMC duely. 3 speeds and the clutch was only engaged or disengaged. No middle ground. I had the biggest left calf in town for a few months.. :roflmao:

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Ahh, searching for the "holy grail" - performance gains for free or on the cheap. While I don't think you'll be successful in your journey, fear not Sir Robert for thou ist on a noble mission. Also, please post before and after dyno results to help quantify the proposed gains from your suggested mods above. I think you'll have better luck finding a "shrubbery".

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back