From Koni to bilstein. I've seen the light. Thanks vorshlag!

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I think S197Probie said the shocks are the same part number, but I am not sure if Vorshlag changes the valving or design any. They would have to clear the air on that.

However, NOTE that the StreetPro Kit, that most of us are referring to, consists of their camber plates and springs. It isn't just the shocks/struts (though they offer that as well). It is a kit that is as close to a bolt-on shock/spring mod that you can get for this car without shelling out money for real coil overs. I was able to do it on just jacks and stands, and just a couple hours of time. No spring compressor was needed.

Hiltsy845

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks, I found some good info in his post. My car is a fair weather driver that occasionally sees an open track day and a few trips down the drag strip. I am happy with the BMR springs (SP009) for what I do, but I need more bump travel on the rear shock than the current Koni STR.T offers. If the standard Bilstein HD B6 (24-122245) is 1" shorter I may order just a set of shocks to try.

According to S197Probie: "is now installed...

Parts List of actual products received...

Front Struts 2011 Shelby GT500 B6 (HD) 35-128717
Rear Dampers 24-122245
Vorshlag S197 Mustang Revised Aluminum Camber/Caster Plates
& '11+ OEM Perches (pair) A1-2007-02
*Double Row Radial Bearing for Spring Perches VM-DBL-BRG
*Upper Spool Piece, 14mm dia. 11-14QA-01
*Lower Spool Piece, 14mm dia., Square, LONG Length"

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
I think S197Probie said the shocks are the same part number, but I am not sure if Vorshlag changes the valving or design any. They would have to clear the air on that.

However, NOTE that the StreetPro Kit, that most of us are referring to, consists of their camber plates and springs. It isn't just the shocks/struts (though they offer that as well). It is a kit that is as close to a bolt-on shock/spring mod that you can get for this car without shelling out money for real coil overs. I was able to do it on just jacks and stands, and just a couple hours of time. No spring compressor was needed.

It's not the regular bilstein HD series struts and shocks I know that much. Either way. I can guarantee anyone who buys the street pro kit from vorshlag will be pleased.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
if someone really cared...they could probably just call and ask...

Lucky_13

forum member
Reaction score
My guess is that they are the same, but made to seem proprietary so that bargain-seekers don't go elsewhere because Vorshlag prices tend to not be the cheapest. Understandable, and in my opinion if you value the support you get with the product going through a reputable vendor vs. saving a few bucks is well worth it.

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
My guess is that they are the same, but made to seem proprietary so that bargain-seekers don't go elsewhere because Vorshlag prices tend to not be the cheapest. Understandable, and in my opinion if you value the support you get with the product going through a reputable vendor vs. saving a few bucks is well worth it.

Well, there's one way I know of to find out: get them dynoed! Does anyone here have the Vorshlag Bilstein setup who would be willing to get their dampers dynoed, and is there someone who has the standard Bilstein kit for the Mustang who would be willing to do the same?

I am Legend

forum member
Reaction score
Well the internet is in luck. We (Vorshlag) are making the fixtures to dyno the Bilsteins, the same as what white86hatch has, as well as Koni's which everyone seems to want/have. We will have those results very soon...

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
Well the internet is in luck. We (Vorshlag) are making the fixtures to dyno the Bilsteins, the same as what white86hatch has, as well as Koni's which everyone seems to want/have. We will have those results very soon...

There you go. I've got yellows you can have( aka get them out of my garage)!

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
It's not the regular bilstein HD series struts and shocks I know that much. Either way. I can guarantee anyone who buys the street pro kit from vorshlag will be pleased.

Wait one minute... I got into this very conversation with (Name escapes me, I have it somewhere and can get it) where I was told these are in fact the same parts but a mix of model years. I was told Vorshlag found the one for the GT-500 to be a better damper from the 2011's if I remember correctly, to work better than the ones for the 2013&14...

Here are the actual part numbers they shipped me last year...

Rear Dampers 24-122245
*Lower Spool Piece, 14mm dia., Square, LONG Length 12-14QB-01

And in the conversation, the wrong wording was being used to "Make" claim they had "Special spec dampers" when in fact they just ordered a different model of the HD dampers to build the kit. To make it a different kit than the "HD" kit everyone else has. In fact... He went on to say that they would not be allowed to use the same part number if they did request a different set of specs because if they warrantied a shock, how would Bilstein know what the correct spec was (Two specs one part number)? And if they did have one custom made, not only would it have its own part number it would be a lot more expensive because the volume needed to get close to the other pricing makes it not worth it. And one should just go coil overs at that point...

I understand it like this. Vorshlag has pure intent of getting the best ride for us. And that is what matters. But saying anything beyond that is false advertising if what I was told was true. Not to mention it dilutes the integrity of all the work Vorshlag has worked so hard to earn.

*Edit* I overlooked the post above that already had this information with the part numbers. Sorry I missed that...

Last edited:

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
Wait one minute... I got into this very conversation with (Name escapes me, I have it somewhere and can get it) where I was told these are in fact the same parts but a mix of model years. I was told Vorshlag found the one for the GT-500 to be a better damper from the 2011's if I remember correctly, to work better than the ones for the 2013&14...

Here are the actual part numbers they shipped me last year...

Rear Dampers 24-122245
*Lower Spool Piece, 14mm dia., Square, LONG Length 12-14QB-01

And in the conversation, the wrong wording was being used to "Make" claim they had "Special spec dampers" when in fact they just ordered a different model of the HD dampers to build the kit. To make it a different kit than the "HD" kit everyone else has. In fact... He went on to say that they would not be allowed to use the same part number if they did request a different set of specs because if they warrantied a shock, how would Bilstein know what the correct spec was (Two specs one part number)? And if they did have one custom made, not only would it have its own part number it would be a lot more expensive because the volume needed to get close to the other pricing makes it not worth it. And one should just go coil overs at that point...

I understand it like this. Vorshlag has pure intent of getting the best ride for us. And that is what matters. But saying anything beyond that is false advertising if what I was told was true. Not to mention it dilutes the integrity of all the work Vorshlag has worked so hard to earn.

*Edit* I overlooked the post above that already had this information with the part numbers. Sorry I missed that...
*not the regular hd set for a 2011-2014 mustang gt*. Happy now? I never said they revalved them. Only they weren't the exact same 2011-2014 mustang gt kit that everyone else sells.

Hiltsy845

forum member
Reaction score
Bilstein's website lists the same B6 HD struts and shocks for 2005-2011 V6, GT, and GT500.

These are part #35-128717 and 24-122245. They list a different set of part numbers for 2011-2014. Maybe the older models were just shorter. I remember reading about ride height issues mixing Koni struts for newer or older applications as well.

I am Legend

forum member
Reaction score
Someone please tell me where we state that we alter/change/modify Bilstein dampers in any way? This is floating around a lot, and not sure where it came from.

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_179&products_id=559

The Vorshlag-Bilstein StreetPro kit is made up of several companies' best components, coming together into a ready-to-install suspension system, tailor made for a multipurpose S197 Mustang. The shortened Bilstein inverted monotube struts and rear shocks are paired with a matched set of lowering springs, assembled inside Vorshlag spherical adjustable camber/caster plates up front. One unique feature is that this system comes pre-assembled by Vorshlag and does not require a spring compressor to install. We start with the Bilstein monotube dampers and Vorshlag camber plates then add the lowering springs you want, put it all together properly, and send it to you for an easy installation.
The text above is right from our website where we sell this kit. We are pairing a certain set of Bilsteins with our camber plates and lowering springs into a pre-assembled kit. We use what we have tested and it works extremely well with lowered springs and our camber plates. Are there other Bilsteins that fit the S197 chassis? Yes. Are they all the same? No. We don't revalve them, we don't rework them, we just tested a bunch of part numbers and found the ones that fit best with a lowered ride height.

Hiltsy845

forum member
Reaction score
The term "shortened" in the description on the Vorshlag website is what originally led me to believe that they were modified or custom as opposed to something off the shelf (whether or not they are labeled for a different application). I wasn't intending to take away from the value of the kit Vorshlag put together with their R&D. I am only looking for rear shocks at the moment and Vorshlag only lists front & rears as a set.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
"shortened" is with respect to the stock strut bodies

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back