Fuel Filter Location?

suleman09

Sully's Stang10
Reaction score
Hey everyone, im about to replace my fuel filter just so i can stay in good shape with my mileage which i can see is suffering a bit.

i looked under the car (i only have jack and jack stands so i couldnt get it high enough to be under the whole car. But as much as i could see i couldnt find the filter. i followed the fuel lines going from the tank and moving towards the front. is it located anywhere odd, hidden or am i just missing it?

thanks!

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Underneth driver side. Look under your driver floor pan there is a black skid plate that runs from K member (front of car) to almost to where the back seat would be located. Remove it, I believe its held on with 10mm bolts and a couple of plastic clips.

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
you should remove the pump relay from the box under the hood, then crank it over a little bit a couple times.

that cover is a pain, i just remove the outer side of the cover enough to drop down to get to the filter. lay a towel on the cover to catch the bit of gas that will run out. loosen the clamp on the filter, then push the green button on the rear connector while pushing the filter forward, then do the other one. make sure they click good when you put the new one on and watch the direction of the filter.

the pump relay is the relay in the center of the box, in the first row, at the end of the box facing the battery right next to the bolt.

Last edited:

suleman09

Sully's Stang10
Reaction score
thanks for the tip, got this out of the way, now to calculate my next full gas tank and see if thats why my gas was sucking lol

Alec

forum member
Reaction score
Check if your throttle body is dirty also. I was surprised how much of a difference cleaning mine made, and it was filthy

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
thanks for the tip, got this out of the way, now to calculate my next full gas tank and see if thats why my gas was sucking lol
might want to check your spark plugs, if they have alot of miles i would just replace them. i dont like to go much over 25k on the fuel filters.

Check if your throttle body is dirty also. I was surprised how much of a difference cleaning mine made, and it was filthy
this is huge if its black inside. it can effect everything. worth pulling the intake tube and taking a look inside. to do it right, you need to remove it dont take the tb motor off (blk unit on the pass side) and you dont need to remove the tps sensor (on the driv side) and use tb cleaner and a clean rag and make it shiny new looking. spray good on the ends of the butterfly shaft where they go through the sides. make sure the o ring gasket is ok and clean. :clap:

Last edited:

suleman09

Sully's Stang10
Reaction score
i actually replaced my plugs with E3 plugs a earlier this year, havent put more than 10k miles on them and i did clean out the throttle about 2-3 months back. and i dont drive more than 1k a month

im wondering though, i hear a slight vibration sound, i think i may need a balance in my tires. the steering shakes a little too when im stopping from a speed above 40mph

roddy

Reaction score
When you cleaned the throttle body, did you also clean the MAF sensor? The shaking could be a warped front brake rotor.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
+1 on warped roter; if it shakes only when stopping, that's usually a warped rotor (when wheels are put on, the lug nuts should be tightened with a torque wrench to spec to help prevent rotor warpage; or getting the brakes hot will do it too sometimes)

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
we had a slight warp on a rear rotor on the 06 around 40k, so i replaced all the rotors and pads. never really figured out what caused it though, but pretty sure it was from a frozen e brake cable. the new ones have been great.

wouldnt hurt to clean the maf. the cleaner is a bit pricy. i did mine a few times over the years till i got rich codes and had to replace it.

Last edited:

suleman09

Sully's Stang10
Reaction score
i did clean the MAF the same time i cleaned out the throttle and i was afraid about you guys saying the rotors. I have been thinking that for a while now but i dont want it to be the rotors but i have been thinking it could be. i will look into the rotors, see if i can feel anything with the "finger" test lol see if i can feel a wrap first before i throw rotors on it. i already had to replace my rear brakes. everything, rotors, pads, calipers because one of my caliper mounting bolts somehow loosend off and destroyed my rear brakes. i feel like that caused the fronts to be damaged too because i ended up driving on front brakes till i could get from where i was stuck to an auto parts store.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back