Fuel line question

Laga

Reaction score
My 2005 Mustang Gt has an Edelbrock supercharger. I recently converted over to E85 and increased my boost. This should put me just under 12 seconds. Because the car is not flex-fuel, I have a ethanol content sensor mounted in between the stock fuel rails. Will rubber flue line with steel braided in the rubber and nylon braided covering be legal if I have 24” total length?

Laga

Reaction score
The rule is no more than 12” of rubber fuel line.
Is rubber fuel with steel braids on the inside the same external steel braided?

Flusher

Reaction score
Is what you have hydraulic hose? Make sure that what hose you do use is in fact compatible with the fuels and pressures (and temperatures) that you will be running. The inner liner will degrade, you will then start to smell fuel vapor through the hose, it could allow pulling air on the suction side, and eventually it will start to leak. Meanwhile the degraded liner contaminates your fuel system.

Your sanctioning body may require pressure testing assembled fuel lines.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On a newer car, I doubt that tech would check for that.
If it is hose rated for fuel injection and the sensor isn't made out of plastic, I wouldn't worry about it and also wouldn't volunteer its existence to the tech either.
A picture would be a good idea as we can see if this is something that will jump out at the person doing your tech inspection or not.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Can we get a picture of that ethanol content sensor? I assume its sitting on top the blower, since its between the two fuel rails?

Laga

Reaction score
559155C9-0CC2-482E-BA8B-16209DCA13B7.jpeg This is the sensor. It is too big to fit in the area between the fuel rails and under the strut brace. Right now, it is connected with nylon stock style fuel line at rear corner of SC. But I can bury it under the heater hose when I do final install. I wanted to keep the fuel line black. I think SS lines crossing over will look like crap and draw attention to themselves. All the black lines I’ve found have the SS inside the synthetic rubber and covered with nylon mesh. 559155C9-0CC2-482E-BA8B-16209DCA13B7.jpeg

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
So .... how does it work? The sensor is connected to what exactly to read the ethanol content? A gauge?

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Check with Fragola, I think they have an E85 compatible black nylon braid hose.
Can you take a zoomed out picture?

Laga

Reaction score
So .... how does it work? The sensor is connected to what exactly to read the ethanol content? A gauge?
Yes it’s connected to a digital gauge. Since it is only necessary when I fill up, it’s in the glove box. Ethanol in my area changes about every 3 months. With a high of 81% to a low of 65%. Lito has provided me with multiple tunes to handle the different levels.

Last edited:

Laga

Reaction score
Check with Fragola, I think they have an E85 compatible black nylon braid hose.
Can you take a zoomed out picture?
I’ll post photo tomorrow. Nylon line is easy to find. NHRA only allows a total of 12”. I need steel braided because I’m around 24”. Even the test and tune nights have full NHRA inspections at Chicagoland Speedway.

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The fragola stuff is allowed by the NHRA. They are talking about the low pressure carburetor old school rubber hose.

Laga

Reaction score
The fragola stuff is allowed by the NHRA. They are talking about the low pressure carburetor old school rubber hose.
If that’s the case, then what I have will work. Here’s a larger view. This setup is only temporary. 6D3E5698-8E4C-40CF-895F-F85BA02D1BF3.jpeg

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The one thing that might attract their attention is that it goes near the firewall and bellhousing area. I'd re-route it away from that area.

Laga

Reaction score
The one thing that might attract their attention is that it goes near the firewall and bellhousing area. I'd re-route it away from that area.
I was planning on in between heater hose and wiring harness. Thanks.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Yes it’s connected to a digital gauge. Since it is only necessary when I fill up, it’s in the glove box. Ethanol in my area changes about every 3 months. With a high of 81% to a low of 65%. Lito has provided me with multiple tunes to handle the different levels.

In my area, the Sheetz all have "flex fuel" which advertises 65-81% ethanol, so I assume that's what you got.

You have to drive a ways to find true E85. Not sure what the actual percentage variations might be for that.

Laga

Reaction score
There’s a Speedway E57C0DE8-C8C2-4D35-81A4-9BF396ADC119.jpeg station less than a mile from my house that sells E85. That’s part of the reason I switched. I emailed and asked if they had a regular schedule for changing ethanol content. They did, and I got this reply the next day. Good job Speedway! Although, my testing with both the gauge and manual procedure is showing content about 4%-5% lower than what they claim. I first started in mid October and got 81%. I am getting 70% now. Lito’s tunes cover a 10% range. So I have three separate tunes for 60%-90% content. It will be interesting to see what I get in late summer.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
That variation is at a pump labeled "E-85" as opposed to flex fuel or some other more transparent description? Where are you located?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back