FYI: FRPP '11 5.0L 4V crate engine,'11 5.4L aluminum crate engine

2L8IWON

forum member
Reaction score
just stroke and bore your engine now and use 4v pistons and heads. would be cheaper

Is it that easy? What year heads would we need? And would there be all that much benefit to doing such a project? I am very interested in this idea

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yes its that easy. 3.75" stroker and .20 bored and you got approximately 300ci. 5.0 is 302. Personally id jsut keep the 3v heads to ave on cost but you canbolt the terminator heads to the car as long as you use 4v pistons IIRC

Last edited:

2L8IWON

forum member
Reaction score
yes its that easy. 3.75" stroker and .20 bored and you got approximately 300ci. 5.0 is 302. Personally id jsut keep the 3v heads to ave on cost but you canbolt the terminator heads to the car as long as you use 4v pistons IIRC

Bad ARSE! I love the way the 4v heads and coil covers look! I wonder if they flow any better than a set of P&P 3v heads...

Last edited by a moderator:

Stang6156

Reaction score
I traded my 01 Cobra last fall for an 09 Bullitt because I wanted to build an S197. The only disappointment I've had is the looks of the 3V versus the 4V (I show more than race). First I started researching superchargers, then built shortblocks (might as well be 5.0L stroker if decide to go built) and if I understand you're saying I could use 4V heads if I use the correct pistons. Everywhere I've looked at modular shortblocks it says for 3V heads, 2V and 4V heads will not work. Where can I find info for such? What I really want is a supercharged 5.0L 4V.

SOHC46

Superman
Reaction score
Probably 8-10 gs...

For that kind of money I would rather have a built motor with a Kenne Bell/Procharger..... But, I still think that it is cool that they are offering the 5.0 in a crate motor. If someone decides that they want that motor they would be better off getting one from a junk yard and buying the control pack.

eng943

forum member
Reaction score
Well last time I checked the 3V crate motor was around 6k. At 8K I think it would be a relatively decent deal.

eng943

forum member
Reaction score

I think the "trickier" part of the swap is the ECU related issues. I'm with you though. Other than a visual tickle, the 4V head isn't going to do much the 3V won't do.

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
One would think that the 5.0 would be less than the GT500 engine b/c it doesn't have as expensive rods etc... and that it would be more than the current 3v. I'd venture to guess 10k to 12k.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back