Gas ported pistons?

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
I saw a segment on "Engine Power" tv show talking about horizontal gas porting pistons to increase the seal of the top ring. I did a search and nothing came up. Anyone ever do this on their build?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Piston manufacturers do this. I'll see if I can dig up some pics.

Edit: I only found one set with the top ring ported. They all have the oil rings ported.

It's a Mahle that was built to Yates specs for the FR500C. Nice piston with a 3.705" bore requirement.

Last edited:

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Bruce,that's pretty much what they showed, ever build a 3v with these? Pros/cons?

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Pretty common on high HP LS builds. Friends 416ci motor sitting at the shop is gas ported on the top. Builder (LME out of Houston) said they see 3-5% power increase on n/a motors with gas porting.

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score
It's a combo of a Napier second with a gas port and a vac pump to net some good results. Usually see side gas port on a round e round combo or a heavy power adder car. N/A combo's generally use the top gas port as it is more efficient.

lethe

V4g!n@ #er
Reaction score
I though someone here used gas ported pistons on their 3v build. I don't remember who though.

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
It's a combo of a Napier second with a gas port and a vac pump to net some good results. Usually see side gas port on a round e round combo or a heavy power adder car. N/A combo's generally use the top gas port as it is more efficient.

Would you recommend horizontal gas porting on a street turbo 3v? Say, 650-800whp?

travelers

Reaction score
I would say maybe limited on a street car but not on a daily driver. That will increase ring ware.

SSPSTANGBANGER

LSx Slayer
Reaction score
Vertcal is only for high RPM N/A racecar stuff. I have used lateral gas ported pistons with Napier second rings in many mod motors N/A and boosted. I have a set of custom lateral gas ported going in my 2014 Coyote turbo motor.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have them. Race application, 16:1 compression, 8200 rpm. Total Seal ring set.

Diamondpistons1.jpg~original

Diamondpistons3.jpg~original

Last edited:

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, I don't dd my car, rarely drove it really but I would need for it to be streetable. I'm trying to gather info so when it's time to forge my bottom-end, I'll have an idea. I gather this isn't very common?

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score
just laughing a little about this one as we don't want guys scarred to do this to just about any application. Gas porting increases ring seal therefore power and efficiency. Does this effect ring wear yes. What kind of cycle life are guys running on these combo's? Sure if you are doing a rebuild for a driver your not going to gas port the Sealed Power pistons that came in your $too cheap refresh kit that you plan on putting 100K miles on.
Your weekend warrior nice day "Street car" is not going to rack up miles like you think. Members with stroker motors with ported heads and custom cams and big ol power adders are lucky to see a few thousand miles a year. Keep in mind people should have a planned tear down and refresh schedule based off of hours, passes or time once you move into the big HP world.

SSPSTANGBANGER

LSx Slayer
Reaction score
I think the message was not that gas porting in general is a race engine thing. But that vertical gas ports are a n/a race engine thing mostly and that lateral gas ports are great on many applications

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Does this effect ring wear yes. What kind of cycle life are guys running on these combo's? Sure if you are doing a rebuild for a driver your not going to gas port the Sealed Power pistons that came in your $too cheap refresh kit that you plan on putting 100K miles on.

I stand by my statement. This is not for daily driver stuff.

But that vertical gas ports are a n/a race engine thing mostly

X2

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back