Getting lost in the coilover options..

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
What's worth considering in terms of coilover's for 05 to 09 gt's? Everyone claims this and that, but I am not getting a feel of which will suit my needs.

I want great height adjustability. I want the option to have a great feeling ride, better than a silly coilover/strutt combo ride. I am considering adjustability so I can go autox, but go back to daily driving mode if I want. I want quality above all. It seems I would end up spending 1.5k regardless due to prices, so if I must, I want good stuff.

Any experiences here?

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
What's worth considering in terms of coilover's for 05 to 09 gt's? Everyone claims this and that, but I am not getting a feel of which will suit my needs.

I want great height adjustability. I want the option to have a great feeling ride, better than a silly coilover/strutt combo ride. I am considering adjustability so I can go autox, but go back to daily driving mode if I want. I want quality above all. It seems I would end up spending 1.5k regardless due to prices, so if I must, I want good stuff.

Any experiences here?
It sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it to. Great ride and better performance, with no downsides and little to no money ($1500)? That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

DSC_0438-L.jpg

You need to figure out what you want to do, and how serious about that you want to be. Do you want to autocross your car? I so, on what tires / what class / what level of competitiveness? Then we can look at budgets and make informed suggestions.

79657250-_T7A2085-L.jpg

Track days? Time Trial? Wheel to Wheel racing on a road course? We can give you suggestions there, but again - lots of questions about tires / series / rules.

This is the Corner Carver Racing Tech Discussion sub section. Make up your mind on what you want to do and you can get great suggestions here. This amorphous "I want everything but don't want any downsides" pipe dream isn't going to get you very good replies.

Cheers.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
If you're suggesting the use of height adjustability for going between auto-X and street driving, I think you'd find that gets old in a hurry. And that's before considering the alignment changes that will occur going from one height to the other, or how well you can return all four height adjustments to exactly the same places every time.

I'm not at all sure that $1500 coilovers can be consistent with "quality above all" . . . or what you mean by "a silly coilover/strutt combo ride".

I further believe that more than minimal lowering isn't nearly as "necessary" for good handling as many people seem to think. Certainly not as long as you're driving on true street tires rather than real race tires, or at least on DOT R-compounds.

Norm

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
Listen to these guys and be honest about your wants and desires. If it's appearance only then get a good set of springs with adjustable shocks/struts. Make sure you get a few of the spring pieces that go along with.

And Norm is right. Without good tires, the best suspension in the world won't do shit.

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
I hear ya. I am not suggesting I want height adjustment between daily driving and autox. I want height adjustment to get rid of any wheel gap I would have. Then it would stay there as long as full load mid corner didn't create rub. However if I wanted to change it, I want to be able to. Also, I've read specifically that some of the coilovers used on the s197 and s550 projects by vorshlag were adjustable dampening and offered a better ride, but still kicked butt with the right tires in competetion. So I don't completely agree that I can't have both. I know it will ride like an autox or track car, but at least it won't be cut springs level was my point..

As for what class, I am not sure as I haven't looked into the rules of any entry level classes. I know I would not try to be in any class that would require my daily driver to be nothing but a track car.

I asked the question here because I am well aware this is the Corner carving section and have read and read about things you all have done and know you have used many brands of coilovers, but wanted more input.

Also the comments about 1500 bucks getting me a quality setup, lol, maybe I phrased it wrong. My point was, it is going to be above and beyond 1500 bucks, so if I'm gonna do it, I wanna do it right.

Then mentions about tire size and types, etc. I understand if I wanna be serious and compete in any class I need to have a complete plan and approach. I simply gave you guys a general question without the ridiculous baggage of a novel to start with. I am more than willing to answer any questions to give you what you need, but it is a bit rough sided to be coming at people like the first two reply posts in this thread.

I have read builds over and over for vorshlag and learned a ton just from those and thought about mcs or qa1 (if I got that right) kits and even giving vorshlag a call, but clearly I am missing something..

Back to wheel sizes. I haven't picked exacts out yet. I know I would like to look at forgestar or apex offerings. If their 18x11's would fit I'd be game. I understand that a 285 to 305 tread width is where I'd want to he with that, but again, that is down the road with my budget. Kids, wife, work and mortgage come first. So unfortunately I would have to make do for just fun and use my daily 20's and 250 to 350 tread wear tires. ( which by the way I hope to get a truck before that gets too serious and it not be so much of a daily.. really would need the back up to be safe with my aforementioned responsibilities, but again I am thinking ahead a bit and coilovers is something I can use now for my new daily wheels.)

I get it that you guys get tired of the one off questions and you wanna squash any bull, but c'mon, ease up just a bit. My intentions are pure. Lol

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I hear ya. I am not suggesting I want height adjustment between daily driving and autox. I want height adjustment to get rid of any wheel gap I would have.
There's no need for height adjustability if you choose right the first time, and choose that for the right reasons. Though if you read through Terry's S197 build thread for the red car I think you'll find that he lowered that car for aesthetic reasons rather than for any performance advantage.

Then it would stay there as long as full load mid corner didn't create rub. However if I wanted to change it, I want to be able to.
My advice - don't even think about going that low, or driving that hard with a full load.

Also, I've read specifically that some of the coilovers used on the s197 and s550 projects by vorshlag were adjustable dampening and offered a better ride, but still kicked butt with the right tires in competetion. So I don't completely agree that I can't have both. I know it will ride like an autox or track car, but at least it won't be cut springs level was my point..
Adjustable damping is an entirely different story. All functional as opposed to mainly aesthetic.

As for what class, I am not sure as I haven't looked into the rules of any entry level classes. I know I would not try to be in any class that would require my daily driver to be nothing but a track car.
Read the rules very carefully, with the guiding philosophy being that if within any given category (Street, Street Touring, etc.) the rules don't explicitly say that any given modification is permitted (allowed, allowance being SCCA's preferred terms here), then it is not allowed for that category.

A single mod as simple-sounding as opening up the big center hole in the strut towers (to permit greater negative camber) can send you all the way to Prepared even if you modified nothing else anywhere on the car (maybe Classic American Muscle also allows this). Even if you chose to not use any of the extra negative camber that such a mod might permit, welcome to P or maybe CAM.

Also the comments about 1500 bucks getting me a quality setup, lol, maybe I phrased it wrong. My point was, it is going to be above and beyond 1500 bucks, so if I'm gonna do it, I wanna do it right.
I see somewhere between half again and double that in your future. Still higher is entirely possible.

Back to wheel sizes. I haven't picked exacts out yet. I know I would like to look at forgestar or apex offerings. If their 18x11's would fit I'd be game.
I am running the Forgestar 18x11's, with 285/35 MPSS tires. Up front, it's tight but entirely doable.

DSC03378-web.jpg DSC03379-web.jpg IMG_2257.JPG

I understand that a 285 to 305 tread width is where I'd want to he with that, but again, that is down the road with my budget. Kids, wife, work and mortgage come first. So unfortunately I would have to make do for just fun and use my daily 20's and 250 to 350 tread wear tires. ( which by the way I hope to get a truck before that gets too serious and it not be so much of a daily.. really would need the back up to be safe with my aforementioned responsibilities, but again I am thinking ahead a bit and coilovers is something I can use now for my new daily wheels.)
FWIW, even the OE springs are good enough to support being 'promoted' at least up to 'intermediate', and possibly into 'advanced', at least with upgraded dampers, a bit more roll stiffness in the sta-bars, and a more serious wheel/tire package. Remember that it's a lot more about the driver than anything about the car that gets you moved up.

I get it that you guys get tired of the one off questions and you wanna squash any bull, but c'mon, ease up just a bit. My intentions are pure. Lol
Questions 'out of the blue' about which coilovers to get (with vague mention of $1500) do have a certain sound about them. No flame intended.

Norm

Last edited:

ApexRaceParts

forum member
Reaction score
I ran MCS TT1 on my personal car this past season and it's a great setup. New they can be purchased from Vorshlag for around $3600 all in which includes their camber plates (great pieces, best out there imo) and spring rates of your choice, but it's really all you will ever need until you get into serious W2W competition. Even then, they are modular so MCS can rebuild/upgrade them to TT2 or 3 way remote at any time.

The nice thing about MCS, JRi, JRZ and possibly a couple other brands are that they feature offset housings to allow for more wheel/tire clearance up front. For example, I run a set of our EC-7 in 18x11" ET52 at all four corners with 305/660-18 Continental slicks and only need to use a 20mm spacer up front with extended wheel studs from ARP. There's room to step down to a 15mm if needed, but my tires don't poke up front so never felt the need to. This gives me a fully rotatable setup which helps a lot with tire life.

You really can't go wrong with any of the main brands out there for entry-level motorsports grade coilovers. It is definitely a case where saving more money to purchase the "right" stuff the first time WILL save you money in the long run. It sounds like you know what you want, so in my opinion, anything less than these will just be a stop-gap. Do it once, do it right.

- Cory

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Sounds like a set of BMR handing springs and Bilstien dampeners would suit you fine and not break the bank

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Didn't intend to flame, just read the OPs comments, which sounded an awful lot like so many others elsewhere on this forum (95% of which are on this forum just to get noisy and shiny "ding-dong" parts). ;)

DSC_4375%20copy-L.jpg

If you want to do any sort of track / autocross with competition in mind, you need to put the ideas of "$1500 suspension" out of your mind.

jpg_DSC7043-Recovered%20copy-L.jpg

We do sell a "$1599" Street Pro kit for the S197, but we don't intend this for competition use. This is the lowest cost option we sell that has Ford Racing lowering springs + Bilstein monotube struts (with shortened front housings) and shocks, with our camber plates.

GD4A0308-L.jpg

Beyond that, we jump right into MCS singles, doubles, doubles with remotes, triples and 4 ways...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back