Getting the '09 ready for next year...

Bizzyb0nes

forum member
Reaction score
Well I've been fortunate enough finacially to have alot of side work which has led to some great mods the last few months...and I think I've got the car squared away for next year with the exception of a few fairly inexpensive things. The idea behind the car since it is a daily driver was to insure a decent amount of comfort while being decent on the track. My track days will be for fun much more then being overly competitive... atleast at this point.

Suspension:
Stangsuspension series 2 springs (250lb F/200lb rear)
Bilstein HD's
GT500 Strut Mounts
KSR Strut Tower Brace (American Muscle branded)
J&M Double Adj LCA's (sphericals)
UMI Adj UCA w/ bolt hole reducers(Sphericals)
J&M Double Adj PHB (Sphericals)
UMI LCA Relcation Brackets

Power:
C&L Racer CAI
Pypes H Pipe
Flowmaster Axle Back
BBR Tune w/ Xcal 3
Steeda Pentars w/ 275 40 18 Hankook Evo V112's.

The Hankooks are a pretty decent tire for the money..I needed something that would be a little aggressive, but handle rain and mileage...hopefully it will pan out to be ok.

The only thing I feel my car will be lacking is braking...the plan before spring time would be a brake cooling duct kit, stainless lines, better brake fluid. I think I want to wait to swap out the pads until they get worn out, but if its that important...I can probably swing it. I am fully aware that the car will be far beyond my potential off the rip, but it gets me 1 car, with the mods I wanted, to learn on and grow. I personally feel it will make a great all around car (comfy, reliable, fairly competitive).

I've raced a few times at open track events, 1 in particular would be considered not a very hard track, but the event/track is a great place to learn..which I did alot of, and its probably my first event in this car as I didnt do anything this year due to the '96 cobra was always broken or needing something major...and then getting this '09 car up to speed.

Is there anything I'm forgetting/overlooking aside from needing brake upgrades and seat time...or am I pretty much covered?

Last edited:

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Looks like a solid, good mod list. I would add the whole brake package you described, AND up the pads. IF you're not used to "touch-press" braking, or essentially a controlled panic stop at each corner, then I would get either Carbotech XP10 front and XP8 rear pads with fresh stock rotors, or Hawk HT10 front and HP+ rears. If you ARE used to track braking, then look at XP12/XP10 or DTC-60/HT10 or even DTC-70/DTC-60 if you're a seriously hard, late braker.

Most important of all: SEAT TIME!!!

Bizzyb0nes

forum member
Reaction score
Definitely agree with seat time Dave....I did forget about the K Member brace with torque limiters. I've heard the '08/'09's dont have the issues the previous cars had with missing gears due to drivetrain rotation...does anyone know if this is true? I know Ford didnt put torque limiters on it, which means they may of fixed it, but only temporarily as torque limiters would be permanent and add to the longevity of the stock motor mounts.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
As with most things, I would worry about "issues" only when they rear their ugly head... The brace bar will be fine, but I would hesitate to put in the limiters until you know you need them: they will bind the drivetrain up pretty badly. One member on one of the forums actually snapped the ear off the block with one of those setups. I personally know seven or eight people that track their S197s, and to my knowledge, none of them use the torque limiters.

Kaldar142

Reaction score
^ do you know if he was using stock motor mounts?

He may of had all the stress at that one point if he was using stock mounts.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back