Giddy up whoa!!! (Brakes)

BEAST

CHEROKEE NOOB HUNTER
Reaction score
So about a year ago I put some power stop slotted rotors and pads on the car.....This week I noticed some really bad head shake when applying the brakes, decided to take a gander and both front rotors are cracked in multiple places.. being the dumbass I am, I apparently I threw away the stock rotors.

I obviously have to replace what's on the car, so what way would you go for your buck? would you buy stock components again to put back on? Would you buy brembo takeoffs?

I can source stock components for a few hundred new, and I don't want to spend three grand on an upgraded brake kit so what would you do?

Car is a 13 gt.

Last edited:

JJ427R

Reaction score
I very highly recommend getting Frozen Rotors (Diversified Cryogenics). These are cryogenically frozen rotors that go thru a 60 hour process that hardens the metal and gives you double the life. You can buy directly from them or if you have a brand of rotor you prefer to use you can also send them to them to have them processed. They are also now doing gun barrels for a major firearms manufacturer.

I currently have Stoptech 4 piston brakes and have the matching cryo/slotted rotors that I purchased directly thru Frozen Rotors.
I do track days and have had them for 2 years now and they show basically no wear and have not warped. Can't say enough good about em.
And they are not going to break the bank to purchase, very reasonable.

Every track vehicle at BIR is equipped with them. Believe the NYPD also uses them.
They also carry all the top brands of pads.
http://www.frozenrotors.com/

Last edited:

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I dont know how close the brembos from the s550s are compared to the s197s but I can tell you in stock form they are hands down the best brakes Ive had on any car. I have them on my 17 gt and love them.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I cleaned up my calipers of casting flash and painted them black. I bought centric premium rotors and stop tech braided lines, but would not do theselines as the brackets were so nonexistent I had to make my own.. My rears are stop tech pads on OEM rotors, painted stock calipers, fresh caliper brackets as one bushing was bad.

IMG_20170419_143756.jpg IMG_20180917_222756.jpg Screenshot_20190207-224225_Chrome.jpg

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
So about a year ago I put some power stop slotted rotors and pads on the car.....This week I noticed some really bad head shake when applying the brakes, decided to take a gander and both front rotors are cracked and multiple places.. being the dumbass I am apparently I threw away the stock rotors.

I obviously have replaced what's on the car, so what way would you go for your buck? would you buy stock components again to put back on? Would you buy brembo takeoffs?

I can source stock omponents for a gew hundred new, and I don't want to spend three grand on an upgraded brake kit so what would you do?

Car is a 13 gt.
For the buck on rotors that still seem to be decent quality, Centrics. Your choice of plain or high-carbon, cryo-treated or not, at least through Tire Rack. Pads - I'm kind of partial to G-loc or Carbotech rather than Hawk. I also track my car from time to time, and I don't bother swapping pads between 'street' and 'track'.

No need to spend $3k on a big brake kit when the 14" 4-piston Brembo kit is available for a fraction of that (starting at $1135 at Vorshlag, and backing plates and pads don't add much to that).

Norm

JJ427R

Reaction score
No need to spend $3k on a big brake kit when the 14" 4-piston Brembo kit is available for a fraction of that (starting at $1135 at Vorshlag, and backing plates and pads don't add much to that).

I purchased my StopTech 4 piston kit thru Zeckhausen Racing for $1450, they are $1485 now. That comes with the one piece slotted rotors.
https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=11_90_1989_4636&products_id=14519

I also have the StopTech braided lines. my pads are Ferodo Racing DS2500 street/track pads.

Forgot to mention for really great braking advise or any questions about braking and rotors I highly advise speaking with Dave Zeckhausen at Zeckhausen Racing. He is the US distributor for StopTech and also carries all the Brembo Stuff, he is one of the most knowledgeable guys in the business when it comes to braking and a great guy, he will answer any questions you might have about this stuff. He never answers the phone right away, leave a message and he'll call you back promptly. https://www.zeckhausen.com

they also have some great tech articles here https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=6446

Last edited:

JJ427R

Reaction score
Here is a little video of the StopTech's at work at Road America. :) I can out brake just about every car in my group. (Note I drive one handed with hand controls and an automatic)

JJ427R

Reaction score
One thing to note on this is on Vorshlag' s latest thread they are now using the 6 pistons on their car.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
One thing to note on this is on Vorshlag' s latest thread they are now using the 6 pistons on their car.
I'm not the least bit surprised to hear that - Terry Fair is harder on brakes than anybody I've ever heard of. So anything in a brake system that works for him will work for anybody.

Nice driving in the video . . . a bit of early apexing in the beginning (Canada Corner in particular), and then I had to remind myself that you're doing all that driving one-handed.

Relevant side note - AT cars do tend to be slightly harder on brakes.

Norm

JJ427R

Reaction score
Relevant side note - AT cars do tend to be slightly harder on brakes
Thanks Norm. Yeah, I don't have that downshifting ability... even if I could shift into 3rd would help me in certain situations, and I've tried it but gets a bit tricky to take my right hand off the wheel to reach the shifter while I'm braking with left hand going into a corner... hate not having a hand on the wheel, certain situations I can brake with left hand and hold my wheel with just my thumb at the same time, but that's not good either....
could end up breaking my thumb....

Canada corner and turn 5 those two corners still freak me out... I have a tendency to turn in early on left hand turns and I catch myself on it all the time.... is that because I'm right handed?

I so want a newer car with the paddle shifters.... :)

Last edited:

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Avoid drilled and slotted rotors, they are mostly a gimmick. The best deal is going to the GT500 brakes purchased through Rock Auto, it is a OEM level "big brake" kit for the cost of stock replacement parts

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Thanks for that link . . . there's other good information there as well.

I might add that with slotted rotors you get a better place for the odd bits of road grit that would otherwise get trapped between the pad and the rotor and give you those nice [/sarcasm] circular grooves to look at.

Norm

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I had Centric, now I have Ford OEM. Ford rotors now have 6 track days on them and my pads are about 50% after those and street driving. Absolutely no vibrations. If you still have 13" brakes, just get OEM.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back