Good Dyno Tuning Shops in Houston?

2014_GT

Bowtie Bitch-Slapper
Reaction score
Looking for a shop near Houston that is good at dyno tuning our cars. I used search, but most of the info is at least three years old so I wanted to know the latest scoop. Any info would be appreciated.

kenneth

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can call JDM and get on a list, Jim Sr. comes down to strictly Performance shop in Houston every so often.
He only does a certain amount of cars when he does.

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
PSI is one of the best in houston, its way south by webster? i think. He tuned my saleen blower car and made very good power with safe tune.

bullittrevor

forum member
Reaction score
PSI Motorsports in Webster. It's not too far from Houston at all. Make sure you call them though because they won't answer e-mails. They are almost always busy so if you don't get them on the first call keep trying.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
I've had three vehicles tuned at various shops in Houston. Here's my take on things:

Patrick at PSI is ok, but you will NEVER get shit for customer service from them. Zero. No return phone calls, no answers to emails, nothing. Want to schedule something? No go. If you finally ever do get a tune, it will be good. I will personally never go back to PSI.

Dyno Joe - small shop, and Joe is often out racing. If you can get his attention, you will get a great tune.

Fastlane - no experience. They have some high dollar cars out there, and I hear the usual good/bad on them. I'd give them a try with my car.

Stricly - no info.

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
Fastlane - no experience. They have some high dollar cars out there, and I hear the usual good/bad on them. I'd give them a try with my car.

For some reason there is a certain crowd that loves to hate Fastlane in Houston.

1. I have done a fair amount of business with them over the years and they always treated me right. Even made a crazy one-off distributorless ignition system using OEM coil packs and sensors for my pushrod 351W. Worked like a charm and looked cool as hell.

2. I'm sure they have blown up a few cars on the dyno - What shop hasn't ? Welcome to hotrodding.

3. They've been around for about 10 years and continue to grow, expand and offer innovative in house products and one-off turbo kits. You just cant do that in the cut throat business of running a custom hotrod shop, unless you are doing something right most of the time.

4. They have a couple of in house 2011 5.0's one with a custom single front turbo kit on it and they specialize in modular mustangs.

Are their tuners the best of the best ? Maybe not, but they are competent and knowledgeable. They also have inventory in stock for our cars from CAI to longtubes and a turbo kit they can fab up and show you an in house example of.

Last edited:

2014_GT

Bowtie Bitch-Slapper
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, guys. I think I'll try out PSI since I'm actually in Lake Jackson, south of Pearland; Webster is the same distance from me than anywhere in Houston. Besides, I can hit Twin Peaks for grub and then Heartbreakers afterwards for some relaxation. :p

Anyway, someone asked about mods... I'm doing my research as I collect the parts necessary to do a Vortech V3 tuner kit using meth-injection for intercooling.

bullittrevor

forum member
Reaction score
Patrick at PSI is ok, but you will NEVER get shit for customer service from them. Zero. No return phone calls, no answers to emails, nothing. Want to schedule something? No go. If you finally ever do get a tune, it will be good. I will personally never go back to PSI.
Patrick is GREAT at what he does, but the customer service is horrible. It's been said many times that when you go there it will seem like pat doesn't even notice your there and almost feels as if he doesn't give a shit that your there but it's because he's not a people person at all. He's shy and keeps to himself, tunes your car and sends you on your way. I've been there 3 times and said maybe a total of ten words to him. I talked to the sales guy more than pat himself. That being said he has a great reputation of being one of the best tuners in Texas and I have yet to have a single problem with my car.

Meikol02

Reaction score
^^^I think all of that is true. Having talked to Pat a few times and having mutual friends, I think he knows what he is doing. I know three guys off the top of my head that love what he has done with their cars. My best success in contacting him was going to the shop early one day and getting to talk to him.

Jim Sr. from JDM Engineering is the only one I trust to tune my Saleen. It takes months to get dyno time with him as he works out of the main shop in NJ and only comes down here for "vacation" to his house in this area. When he is here he uses Strictly's dyno. He is a guru, and you have to wait for his availability around racing and his shop. Best way to get him is to call JDM and talk to Julie.

The owner there is Richard and he is a cool guy that has been wrenching on Mustangs and Fords for a long time. Chi-Daddy on here had his car tuned by Richard, and there is always a steady flow of customers. My
Avatar is a picture on Richard's Dyno.

2014_GT

Bowtie Bitch-Slapper
Reaction score
Sorry for bringing back a thread from the dead, but I thought I'd give an update. I have a dyno tuning session scheduled with Houston Performance. PSI would never answer their freaking phone, so I decided against them. I need to know I can call someone if I have an issue.

On a separate note, I tried to go the email tune route, but no-one seems to want to provide a tune for my set-up, i.e. power pipe & meth injection. Oh well....

Fake_Snake

FAUX GT500
Reaction score
Sorry for bringing back a thread from the dead, but I thought I'd give an update. I have a dyno tuning session scheduled with Houston Performance. PSI would never answer their freaking phone, so I decided against them. I need to know I can call someone if I have an issue.

On a separate note, I tried to go the email tune route, but no-one seems to want to provide a tune for my set-up, i.e. power pipe & meth injection. Oh well....
(PSI) then just go there if they dont answer there phone.. your missing out on some good tuning.. :naughty1:

Bodam

forum member
Reaction score
I'm gonna be looking for a tune soon, so this is good info for us guys new to Ford. Gonna see if I can pin down PSI for a gear swap and possibly a tune...

YellowRoush

forum member
Reaction score
God not houston performance... i lost 15ish horsepower from the intial pull where my car was running like dog shit and had no tune...

Wbihm225

forum member
Reaction score
I had all my work done at psi. Pat is a good guy and does care about getting it right the first time. All you have to do is go by the shop and see how many cars are waiting, which is probably why they need a receptionist to answer the phone.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back