Gordsford Heat Exchanger Installed.

Clay

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I bought GI Joe's heat exchanger for him since he's going turbo and parted out his old blower setup. It's the one from Gordsford, and I was impressed with the quality. Lightweight, aluminum, and THICK, much larger capacity than the stock unit. Had to drill a couple quick holes to mount the brackets, but it wasn't bad at all.

The only trouble we had was connecting the pump outlet with the inlet on the H/E. They are so close to eachother, the hose would bend. So we went up to Lowes and went to the plumbing section and looked around, and found these brass 90 degree fittings. They are ribbed for good grip, but we added some worm clamps for good measure. I included some pics of our solution so you can see what the fittings look like.

Oh and While the bumper was off, I also put in some clear running lights.

HE_installed4.jpg

HE_installed5.jpg

HE_installed1.jpg

HE_installed2.jpg

HE_installed3.jpg

Last edited:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Pretty spiffy.. wish I would have had the money to pick that up!

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I am going to hijack this a little bit. I have had the misfortune of scraping my bumper more times than I care to think about. Unfortunately, it had the effect of damaging the electrical fitting for the Saleen pump, (since they so cleverly made sure the lowest part of the assembly was a plastic electrical fitting) as such:

underfendernm1.jpg

Look, I stole your pic...

anyone know the best way to get just this piece? I downloaded the manual but either I am dumb (likely) or they purposefully hid what the relevant part numbers were (who knows?).

Clay

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Push that pump as FAR up as it will go. I believe that pump is available from the manufacturer for cheaper than Saleen will sell it to you for, but I can't remember who makes it :(

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's a Bosch pump so you should have no trouble finding that connector in Germany.
It probably has the P/N right on it.
I know Mercedes uses that plug and maybe even BMW.
I think it was for the heater pump that M-B use.

GI Joe

Reaction score
I bought GI Joe's heat exchanger for him since he's going turbo and parted out his old blower setup. It's the one from Gordsford, and I was impressed with the quality. Lightweight, aluminum, and THICK, much larger capacity than the stock unit. Had to drill a couple quick holes to mount the brackets, but it wasn't bad at all.

The only trouble we had was connecting the pump outlet with the inlet on the H/E. They are so close to eachother, the hose would bend. So we went up to Lowes and went to the plumbing section and looked around, and found these brass 90 degree fittings. They are ribbed for good grip, but we added some worm clamps for good measure. I included some pics of our solution so you can see what the fittings look like.

Oh and While the bumper was off, I also put in some clear running lights.

yup I used those fittings too which I sold with the blower... It looks good on your car.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looking good. The Gords is on my list too for the future.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
have to data logged your IAT's to see a difference?

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
have to data logged your IAT's to see a differenct?

i did 3 back to back to back dyno runs with no cool down and my IAT's never went above 118

Driving on the highway my IAT's never go above 102, even lower when its nice and cold outside haha

Before my IAT's were in the 140's

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thanks Ron....... hmmmm something else to do! ugh!!

n0nleft13

forum member
Reaction score
Is there some sort of formula to find out how much IAT has on the engines output?

GI Joe

Reaction score
Is there some sort of formula to find out how much IAT has on the engines output?

yes...ASK your tuner. The higher the Air inlet temps the higher the likelihood of detonation with the same fuel. So most tuners will start pulling timing about 165-170 again at 180 and so on.
Dyno runs wont show the big AIT numbers but 1/4 mile or road racing will.
To show a realistic example, before the gords ford cooler my AIT on a 1/4 car that was at full operating temp would be 180 at the end of a 1/4 mile. Keep in mind this was a Saleen that was being pushed pretty hard. So at 150 AIT the car would have 19 degrees timing. At 167 it loss one degree, at 175 it lost another and at 179 another. By the end of the run the car had lost 3 degrees of timing which I can conservatively say was 40 -50 hp. After the install of the Gordsford cooler the car would start and finish the run at 19 degrees of timing. The end result was a car that went from running 11.30 to a 10.99 the next weekend. Now the cars with these bigger 2.6 and 2.8 blower may not benefit as much because they already have these insanely low AIT because the blower is so efficient. My buddy Cali HP put a dual pass Gordsford on and it lowered his temps even further,,,but there is a realistic example of how it can affect performance.
GI Joe

n0nleft13

forum member
Reaction score
yes...ASK your tuner. The higher the Air inlet temps the higher the likelihood of detonation with the same fuel. So most tuners will start pulling timing about 165-170 again at 180 and so on.
Dyno runs wont show the big AIT numbers but 1/4 mile or road racing will.
To show a realistic example, before the gords ford cooler my AIT on a 1/4 car that was at full operating temp would be 180 at the end of a 1/4 mile. Keep in mind this was a Saleen that was being pushed pretty hard. So at 150 AIT the car would have 19 degrees timing. At 167 it loss one degree, at 175 it lost another and at 179 another. By the end of the run the car had lost 3 degrees of timing which I can conservatively say was 40 -50 hp. After the install of the Gordsford cooler the car would start and finish the run at 19 degrees of timing. The end result was a car that went from running 11.30 to a 10.99 the next weekend. Now the cars with these bigger 2.6 and 2.8 blower may not benefit as much because they already have these insanely low AIT because the blower is so efficient. My buddy Cali HP put a dual pass Gordsford on and it lowered his temps even further,,,but there is a realistic example of how it can affect performance.
GI Joe

Ok, I'm guessing this was with JDM's tune. Did you request the timing to to back off at that temp or was this where Jim thought it should be?

GI Joe

Reaction score
Ok, I'm guessing this was with JDM's tune. Did you request the timing to to back off at that temp or was this where Jim thought it should be?
That is where they thought it should be and its where I see most tunes that I have looked at the datalogs...I've seen 4 or 5 close to that.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back