GT500 Rear Caliper Adapters

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Yes they are very hard to find. I purchased mine from a guy in NC who made aircraft parts. They do work but some people think they are not safe. It saves a ton of time fooling with the axles and rear end. They were not made in China. I found my Ebay receipt and he is still listed in Ebay. I sent him a message.

adapt1.jpg

Last edited:

theRedStorm

forum member
Reaction score
Yes they are very hard to find. I purchased mine from a guy in NC who made aircraft parts. They do work but some people think they are not safe. It saves a ton of time fooling with the axles and rear end. They were not made in China. I found my Ebay receipt and he is still listed in Ebay. I sent him a message.

View attachment 76596
Lol people say wheel spacers aren't safe lol:chewie:

What would be the dangers other than cheap material leading to brackets breaking?

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Lol people say wheel spacers aren't safe lol:chewie:

What would be the dangers other than cheap material leading to brackets breaking?

They say the brackets are made of Aircraft aluminum. In doing my Mustang, I found out my low mileage and only used every so often Mustang had stuck calipers in the rear. Maybe that was the reason I decided to install a big brake system all the way around. This makes me think the Mustang would brake OK even if the back calipers were missing all together.

IM8.jpg

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
https://www.blowfishracing.com/brak...ar-caliper-mount-plates-138-gt500-rotors.html

I'm confident that the only function of the larger rotors on the 500 is so that on track you can absorb and reject enough heat that the rear brakes don't completely go away.

I would never bother on a street driven car.

YMMV.

Yes but it looks real cool and coming from stuck calipers, it feels real good. From what you say and if it's true, it would be impossible for the Aluminum Brackets to be unsafe.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
ncmustangparts on Ebay says he is still selling the Big Brake Wheel Adaptors.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Is about $10 worth of aluminum machining and fasteners, maybe I should make some ... nah.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
They say the brackets are made of Aircraft aluminum. In doing my Mustang, I found out my low mileage and only used every so often Mustang had stuck calipers in the rear. Maybe that was the reason I decided to install a big brake system all the way around. This makes me think the Mustang would brake OK even if the back calipers were missing all together.

View attachment 76599
Aircraft aluminum is 7075 or 2024 alloy, not 6061-T6. 7075 is stupid expensive, but at least it's 70 ksi yield strength. 2024 has 2% copper in it, and can't be welded...and is only 42-44 ksi yield. 6061-T6 is only 40 ksi yield. 6063-T832 is only 39 ksi yield.

Another possible option is some brake ducts for the rear brakes, which would involve retrofitting the oem dust covers..and perhaps some 2.5" silicone hose tied off to the LCA's.

I thought Vorshlag sold those adaptor's ?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
It's the setup time and equipment that makes them worth much more.
I run a job shop... hehehehe... was meaning to say I could sell them.

I am too busy with real work :\ - project days are over for now

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
For sure the way to keep things cool back there is not have any brakes. Just work the front. If you have a fast motorcycle, you kind have an idea how brakes work.

xeninworx

Reaction score
https://www.blowfishracing.com/brak...ar-caliper-mount-plates-138-gt500-rotors.html

I'm confident that the only function of the larger rotors on the 500 is so that on track you can absorb and reject enough heat that the rear brakes don't completely go away.

YMMV.
And that’s why I don’t plan on this for my car. Just a street car so doesn’t need it. The rear caliper wouldn’t be as hot as it has a larger rotor to dissipate the heat.

those blowfish brackets, are they the ones you have to pull the rear axles to install like the Ford ones?

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
And that’s why I don’t plan on this for my car. Just a street car so doesn’t need it. The rear caliper wouldn’t be as hot as it has a larger rotor to dissipate the heat.

those blowfish brackets, are they the ones you have to pull the rear axles to install like the Ford ones?
Two types of brackets available. The Ford made ones all one piece so you must remove the axles. Then the Aluminum "add on" brackets where you don't touch the axles. Because my Mustang only gets a few 1000 miles a year of use, the back calipers froze from sitting. So for years, I was just using the front calipers. After a few test drives in new Camaro V8s including a ZL-1, I decided up redo the Mustang brakes with a big brake kit. Most of the money is in the front. The back brakes are rather cheap at Rockauto. So everything was done as a matter of course. After several bleeds, everything is new and the brakes are wonderful.

brake9.jpg

adapt1.jpg

DSC_0330.JPG

theRedStorm

forum member
Reaction score

YMMV.
I just want em because of looks. Filling out the rear wheel does look good!
I don't track the car. (maybe drag strip run once or twice a year). Only concern of mine is safety. But I don't think that should be THAT big of a concern with the 7075 aluminum

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I just want em because of looks. Filling out the rear wheel does look good!
I don't track the car. (maybe drag strip run once or twice a year). Only concern of mine is safety. But I don't think that should be THAT big of a concern with the 7075 aluminum

As I said, you will not notice that much in the rear even if the rear calipers were missing. Mine were frozen. The race only 13.8 inch rotors are very cheap. I got mine at RockAuto for $15 each. They have no RUST protection and will rust bad at the first wash. I replaced them with the same but with rust protection for $35 each.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I think rear brake delete could be as great as limiter delete for the 5.0 cars, but then you'd lose your ebrake. Hmm.....

those aluminum mounts are bomb proof of course.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
I use the aluminum "add-ons." They have always worked fine, but I don't track the car either.

Admittedly, I did it for looks. With 20" rims, the smaller rotors look goofy. Even the larger GT500 rotors could stand to be bigger from an aesthetic standpoint.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I use the aluminum "add-ons." They have always worked fine, but I don't track the car either.

Admittedly, I did it for looks. With 20" rims, the smaller rotors look goofy. Even the larger GT500 rotors could stand to be bigger from an aesthetic standpoint.

The bigger they get the heaver they get. The 2014 GT500 15 inch front rotors are very heavy. Even tires sizes of 255 40 19 and 245 45 19 are about 26 lbs each. The 285 35 19s are about 42 lbs each.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
As I said, you will not notice that much in the rear even if the rear calipers were missing. Mine were frozen. The race only 13.8 inch rotors are very cheap. I got mine at RockAuto for $15 each. They have no RUST protection and will rust bad at the first wash. I replaced them with the same but with rust protection for $35 each.

Possibly silly question but you do know that the rear caliper pistons have to be screwed back in, right?
I've heard of people trying to push the pistons back in and having a hard time. Of course, that being because there's special tools needed to twist them back in.

Back