Hard to start when warm?

mineralgoogt

forum member
Reaction score
I've been having this issue for quite a while now. If I let my car sit for longer than 20 minutes , but less then several hours=engine all the way cooled down, it will spin over for a while before it starts up to 5 seconds. When it finally kicks over seems fine. At times it will start quicker than 5 seconds, but stumbles hisses and dies. It starts fine after engine has completely cooled off. I have tried different tunes with no luck. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Mods are: hot rod cams, delete plates, C&L racer intake, Pypes long tubes.

Last edited by a moderator:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
could be leaky injectors causing a flooding situation.

mineralgoogt

forum member
Reaction score
Does sound plausible.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Fuel pump relay

I would think if the relay was bad it would not start at all?

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
Not always. When this happens again tap on the relay with an extension or screw driver while someone else is trying to start the car

mineralgoogt

forum member
Reaction score
Not always. When this happens again tap on the relay with an extension or screw driver while someone else is trying to start the car

I can hear the fuel pump turn on and cycle for a couple of seconds and it still doesn't start properly.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I had a hard start issue during the hot summer months...turned out that my fuel was boiling in the rails after shutting down the engine and coming back within minutes and starting it back up.

Solution was to raise the fuel pressure...issue gone.

mineralgoogt

forum member
Reaction score
I had a hard start issue during the hot summer months...turned out that my fuel was boiling in the rails after shutting down the engine and coming back within minutes and starting it back up.

Solution was to raise the fuel pressure...issue gone.

I do have resonators in my exhaust near the fuel tank before the axle backs.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think the resonators are doing anything to the fuel in the tanks...unless you are running around with less than 1/8 of a tank.

My issue was in the engine bay with the fuel rails that sit on top of the engine.
The heat coming off the engine and the hot summer temps is what caused my issues.

mineralgoogt

forum member
Reaction score
I think I might throw some injectors at it. Problem didn't start until timing cover was pulled and injectors were cleaned and flow matched.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
I think I might throw some injectors at it. Problem didn't start until timing cover was pulled and injectors were cleaned and flow matched.

I'm still working on putting my car back together after getting them "cleaned and serviced". Two of the injectors were stuck open, fuel-locked my engine, and cost me two valves, two valve guides, and a galled piston skirt.

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
I can hear the fuel pump turn on and cycle for a couple of seconds and it still doesn't start properly.

Just had a car the other day with this problem. It might work enough to prime the pumps but not to start the car. Just another thing to rule out

white08gt

Reaction score
had a similar problem with my wife's 4runner, hard to start when engine was warm but always fired up fine when cold. turned out to be a dirty connection to the temp sensor. sensing that the engine was cold and putting to much fuel,basically engine was flooding out.

mineralgoogt

forum member
Reaction score
Just had a car the other day with this problem. It might work enough to prime the pumps but not to start the car. Just another thing to rule out

Gonna pop a new relay in tomorrow.

had a similar problem with my wife's 4runner, hard to start when engine was warm but always fired up fine when cold. turned out to be a dirty connection to the temp sensor. sensing that the engine was cold and putting to much fuel,basically engine was flooding out.

Sound like a possibility. Gonna check that tomorrow.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back