Harsh Door Vibration Issue

GottaFixMyDoorGreen

Reaction score
Hi all!

Looking for help diagnosing an extremely annoying NVH issue on my car. Vehicle is a 2013 Boss 302. The sound occurs between 2800-4000rpm and is most prominent when the vehicle is cold. The issue gets better with temperature but is still persisent and loud. It has a metallic sound that grows in volume the harder I am on throttle. WOT is the worst. It can also get into oscillations when crusing around 3K rpm. If the door is unlatched, the sound is significantly reduced.

Take a listen in the video below to hear what it is. This is WOT getting onto a freeway.

A while back I brought the car to a dealer as I thought this might be a typical warranty issue discovered during the life of the vehicle. They claimed that the door bodywork was coming apart and tried to bond it back together. And that did pretty much nothing. I took apart the door panel and added dynamat and other NVH padding (thinking that the door panel was acting like an aplifier) to try to reduce the amplitude of the vibration but this hasn't done much either.

I've tried root causing this using internet research. That lead me to believe this was caused by a heat shield around the exhaust, but even after torquing all the bolts on all heat shields, the issue remains. Another suggestion was that it could be the passenger side seatbelt mechanism.

Has anyone seen something like this on their car? Any thoughts into what else I can try to figure out the issue?

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Might be my 61-yr-old ears + tinnitus, but your video doesn't seem to have any abnormal sound(s).

Shane Works

Reaction score
Might be my 61-yr-old ears + tinnitus, but your video doesn't seem to have any abnormal sound(s).
Try again with headphones? The loudest sound in the video is the buzzing sound, not the motor!

Also, just realized I have 2 accounts. Silly me. I am also OP.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Try again with headphones? The loudest sound in the video is the buzzing sound, not the motor!

Also, just realized I have 2 accounts. Silly me. I am also OP.
That's probably why I can't hear it...with tinnitus I always hear buzzing - like an alarm. You'll need younger/better ears than mine to work this issue - hope someone chimes in with an assist. :D

JC SSP

Reaction score
Sorry but I have very good hearing (not perfect) and I don’t hear anything abnormal.

FYI Boss 302 do have side pipes… you might be hearing a reverberation from them?

Shane Works

Reaction score
Sorry but I have very good hearing (not perfect) and I don’t hear anything abnormal.

FYI Boss 302 do have side pipes… you might be hearing a reverberation from them?
100% not reverb. It only comes from one side. The sound is high pitched and metallic and very not-V8.

Perhaps I’ll try getting another video that shows it better.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Ok I don’t hear anything like that.

Consider checking your two piece drive shaft… the carrier bearing usually on pick up trucks will make a high pitch squeal.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back