Has anyone swapped out door mirrors for OEM optional puddle light mirrors on 2013-14 Mustang GT?

302pony

Reaction score
I own a 2014 Mustang GT Premium Coupe with the standard door mirrors. I want to put in the optional puddle light mirrors that shoots a running pony logo in white light from under the mirror to the street below it. I thought it would be a fairly easy case of getting the last 8 digits VIN# of a car who has the optional mirrors, and calling a big high Performance dealership's part dept. and getting the mirrors with the puddle lights built in but the parts guy said it's not a simple plug and play, I would also need to change the whole door harness which he made it seem DIFFICULT and probably expensive. Has anyone gone from a non puddle light door mirror to putting on the optional puddle light mirrors. I really like the look of having the pony image coming from the mirrors.
Appreciate any suggestions and experiences.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I doubt very seriously he told you the truth. For years Mustangs (and most cars it seems) have one or maybe two standard wiring harness variations. Too expensive to make 47 different wiring harnesses for the same car. If you add an option then the wiring is already there. I know when I added a premium rear view mirror to my 2009 Bullitt the wiring plug was already there under the headliner to plug it in.

08MustangDude

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
The plug may be there, but the power wires for the puddle light may not.

As far as not using multiple harnesses, that's true for some items, not all.
The Shaker 500, Shaker 1000, and non Shaker door harnesses are different.

It's still not hard to install them in any case, and wire the light.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I have a base model '13 GT and I put in the pony-logo / heated mirrors.
Plug and play on '13-'14 Mustangs.

You'll need to transfer the painted caps from the existing mirrors:

2014-03-26_pony-mirrors2.jpg 2014-03-26_pony-mirrors3.jpg 2014-03-26_pony-mirrors7.JPG mirrors_heated-pony.jpg

happyjackson

Reaction score
My 2013 GT Premium has puddle lamps. About once every eight to twelve months they start to disfigure. They get streaks, burn marks, bubbles and the like. Most everyone seems to share this misery. I tried reducing the current going to them with a resistor with no success. It's not a huge pain to replace them. Running the mirror all the way out then use a long thin standard screwdriver to unlock the holding tab on the lamp. It just pops out, unplug and pop it back in. The first few times I replaced them the price was reasonable, $15 +/- . Now it's hard to find them under $35, most in the $50 range. Unless you're also wanting the heated mirrors I would go a different direction. I have seen lots of other setups for puddle lamps, under the mirror, bottom side of the door, the power is there. I have saved the last pair I replaced. Removing the innards and have mounted a high quality red (color of the car) LED in each. Next time they go bad I'll put these in, no pony but brighter.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I've seen a bunch of people complain about their pony projectors looking disfigured after so much time, whatever it might be.
Mine have been installed for about 4 years now with no issues.

For those that do have issues, you can always pop the lamp assembly out of the bottom of the mirror, unplug it and pop the lamp back in.
No more puddle lamp, no more distorted pony.
I believe this is what @skwerl did to his car.

13v6

Reaction score
You can always go another way on this and install a projector in the bottom of the door.
https://goo.gl/4GhU78
Picture is similar but would have a tri bar pony.
s-l200.jpg

Cokeologist

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a base model '13 GT and I put in the pony-logo / heated mirrors.
Plug and play on '13-'14 Mustangs.

You'll need to transfer the painted caps from the existing mirrors

@Gabe

Gabe - I have a 2014 Mustang coupe with the standard mirrors, and am interested in upgrading to the version with the illuminated pony logo. I watched a "how-to" video for removal of the mirrors, and that seems pretty straightforward. Is making this upgrade as simple as obtaining the replacement mirrors, removing the current mirrors, bolting in the replacement mirrors, and plugging the new wiring into the existing wiring harness?

I would have sent this by PM but I am a new S197 owner and new to the forum, so I don't have PM permissions yet.

Thanks -

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
@Gabe

Gabe - I have a 2014 Mustang coupe with the standard mirrors, and am interested in upgrading to the version with the illuminated pony logo. I watched a "how-to" video for removal of the mirrors, and that seems pretty straightforward. Is making this upgrade as simple as obtaining the replacement mirrors, removing the current mirrors, bolting in the replacement mirrors, and plugging the new wiring into the existing wiring harness?

I would have sent this by PM but I am a new S197 owner and new to the forum, so I don't have PM permissions yet.

Thanks -

Scott

The wiring harness already in the car had the necessary wiring to run the heat and pony puddle lamps.
All I did was replace the mirrors and transfer the painted caps.
The '13-'14 cars already have the right harness from what I've read/seen.

Cokeologist

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The wiring harness already in the car had the necessary wiring to run the heat and pony puddle lamps.
All I did was replace the mirrors and transfer the painted caps.
The '13-'14 cars already have the right harness from what I've read/seen.

Outstanding; thanks very much!

Cokeologist

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Apologies for the dumb follow-up question, but what is involved with transferring the painted caps?

Cokeologist

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
@Gabe

Thanks -

Scott

It is indeed as simple as this. I located and purchased from a salvage yard a pair of 2014 Mustang mirrors with the pony puddle lights, purchased new projector modules, removed the current mirrors, replaced th projector modules on the replacement mirrors with the new projector modules, plugged the wiring on the replacement mirrors into the existing wiring harness, and installed the replacement mirrors. Worked perfectly and almost 2 years later the pony projection is still nice and crisp.

I may be purchasing a 2010 Mustang soon; will this mirror swap out also work on a 2010 Mustang?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back