have detail products, want to "revamp"

Saleen4971

forum member
Reaction score
ive collected what i consider "quite a few" products over the years.

hardware wise, i need a better wash mitt, have a 7424, MF towels, applicators, etc.

product wise i have always stuck with the megs 9/7/26 combo - i also have some turtle wax platinum, mothers B2B (sucks), plastx, and a bunch of other random stuff i picked up along the way.

my biggest issue has always been with carpet shampoo, and general interior detailing. many products that were recommended either gave me the look i wanted but took forever to apply (megs dash foam), or had a glossy oily crap finish.

what do you folks recommend as far as interior products for the plastics, carpet, and leather?

for the outside - what to do with the black plastics that are beginning to look grey and dull? what about swirl removers (and some more aggressive compounds, as the paint on this thing has not been treated kindly), glaze, wax.......

would love to get some new, better products.

also, how about wheel waxes? i lost my tub of "wheel wax" that i bought years ago, are they all pretty much the same?

another issue i have is a section that was "repaired" - i am hesitant to use that term, as it is atrocious. whoever did this, just filled in with bondo, sanded a bit, then did a horrific spray job with no leveling, and looks like no clear. the color is totally off (cant fix that) but it is also textured a bit. dare i try some light wetsanding, compound, etc etc? or just leave it until i can afford to fix it properly? will get pics of said damage tomorrow when its light out, to get some better ideas.

many thanks for any and all input.

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Chemical Guys stuff.

For compounds/polishes I use their V series. From most cut to least - V32, V34, V36, V38.

Glaze I like Chemical Guys Black Light. Sealant I like their Jetseal and wax I will either use Butter Wet Wax or Adam's version on top of Jetseal.

Wheels I use Griots Garage Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner when it's bad. Otherwise just soap and water. I coat/seal them with Chemical Guys Wheel Guard.

For exterior trim, I tried most of the CG stuff with mixed results. Some were alright and some didn't last long at all. I ordered Poorboys World Trim Restorer and it's worked fantastic. It's been about 6 weeks since my application. It's been raining every other day practically and I've washed it 5 times since then. Still looks as good as it did when I applied it. If you degrease it thoroughly it will absorb better. They also recommend letting it sit as long as possible before wiping off any excess.

Interior products all I really use is Lexol leather cleaner and the matching conditioner.

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
I keep it simple on interior. I use Mothers VLR. It really more or less cleans the panels you touch with it. Can be used on anything in the interior besides the carpet of course. It doesnt leave a shine on anything so you wont have that "oily" sheen to everything you touch with it. Can be gotten pretty much anywhere... .Walmart, autozone, o reilys...

As far as black trim... Ive been using CarPro Dlux. It works like a dream!!! I can tell you that I was hesitant to use it at first thinking there is no way itll work as well as I was told as I was told the same thing about many other products with terrible results. I used the CarPro and I coated my trim on my car about 2 1/2 months ago. It still looks like it did the day I coated it. Matter of fact a friend of mine commented on it the other day and was like " what do you use on your trim to keep it so clean and new looking" I told him the same thing im telling you. CARPRO!!! It is expensive for such a small bottle but it goes much further than youd think. It works great.

claudermilk

Reaction score
I'm using more & more CG stuff. BL+V07 works great. For the interior I use their InnerClean.

On the wheels I like the Sonax Full Effect. Smells awful at first (you get used to it after a while), but it works really well.

On the trim, I'm starting to use Adams In & Out Spray. It actually gets the plastic black & isn't greasy.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
As far as interior products for the plastics, carpet, and leather goes...Carpro Perl diluted 5:1 for plastics and leather after cleaning with 3:1 CG Leather cleaner. For the carpet I use CG Non Sense cleaner with a brush.

Black plastics that are beginning to look grey and dull? Carpro Perl 3:1.

What about swirl removers (and some more aggressive compounds, as the paint on this thing has not been treated kindly), glaze, wax....... Meguiars M105, followed by M205. I also follow this with Menzerna SF4500 to jewel the paint. Last fall I switched to Sonax Polymer Net Shield and love it. When used with an occasional application of Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer the paint looks about as good as when I used CG Lava and has much better water repelling properties.

I've used Poorboy's Wheel Sealant and CG Wheel Wax. They're alright, but I just did an application of G techniq C5 Wheel Armour and I'm far more impressed.

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
For compounding, You can't beat the 105/205 combo or Menzerna. To me CG doesn't really do compounds as good as Megs or Menzerna.

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
For compounding, You can't beat the 105/205 combo or Menzerna. To me CG doesn't really do compounds as good as Megs or Menzerna.

Have you tried the V series polishes/compounds? They're a little different than 105/205.

V34 is a little grittier than M105, V36 is a little finer, and V38 is a little finer than M205. I found that it had a longer work time and WAY WAY less dusting than Meguiars. I switched from Megs after doing one car with CG and haven't looked back.

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
Have you tried the V series polishes/compounds? They're a little different than 105/205.

V34 is a little grittier than M105, V36 is a little finer, and V38 is a little finer than M205. I found that it had a longer work time and WAY WAY less dusting than Meguiars. I switched from Megs after doing one car with CG and haven't looked back.

You will throw the CG away after using Menzerna... FG400 and SF4500 are all I ever need now. I have been using Menzurna since 2002, great stuff. I like the megs twins, but always come back to Menzerna. I have only tried the V36 I got as a sample. It was easy to use, but not as versatile as the Menzerna IP I was using at the time. Hell, I am seriously eyeing the new Scholls line and honey pads... Damn this hobby is expensive...lol...

28ONE

Reaction score
^ I agree CG what??? - Menzerna and Flexzilla knocks it out da park! Scholls and honey pads are suppose to be the shit!

Edit: Your wallet is gonna pay tho...

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score

This....I started with CGs, and Optimum (which I still like Optimum), but have graduated to 105-205.

I've also been getting my feet wet with a few CarPro products and really like them so far... TRIX is amazing IMO

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back