Headlight wiring

NovaKane

Reaction score
Hey folks,

So I did search...
Working on a 2011 Mustang GT Premium, had to replace the headlights and when I ordered the new set I got projectors.

The main difference at this point is on of the harnesses on the new lights has a 3 pin connection, where there harness coming from my car is a 4 pin.

I will post pics below, *not my pictures.

If I could get lucky, and find an adapter to go from my 4 pin to the 3 pin that would be good.

If not, can anyone tell me what the wiring diagram for my 4 pin connector is?

I can mock something up myself, but I can't find a diagram that will ID those 4 wires!

Thanks for any help!

IMAG3126_zpsrftdkm3f.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Marc Aguilar

Reaction score
So they aren't plug and play; maybe you would have to read the manual to see which ones have power and hope you don't have to splice them to see. Or maybe like you said, maybe find an adapter for it.

NovaKane

Reaction score
So they aren't plug and play; maybe you would have to read the manual to see which ones have power and hope you don't have to splice them to see. Or maybe like you said, maybe find an adapter for it.

Hey Marc,

So after doing some researching, I am pretty sure I am online with the issue just not the solution yet.
So my car did have the OEM HID lights, those lights come with the built in HID system and they retail for $1200 on some sites.
So the replacements I bought are simply a recreate of the stock HID light, but they simply used a HID conversion to get the HID rather than using the same built in 4 pin plug.

So thats why I have the 3 pin plug opposed to the 4, the 3 pin is pretty much standard for those HID kits.

So yes your right, at this moment I need to id the 4 individual wires that go into the OEM HID, so I can source and wire them to the HID conversion kit.

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
NovaKane,

You need to find a wiring diagram for the headlight harness. Haynes/Chilton's manuals have wiring diagrams. There is an e-shop manual stickied in the forum and there is an electrical section available.
edit
wiring diagram: "https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=711&f=085 - Headlamps and Autolamps.pdf&p=3"

The wiring looks the same for halogen and HID but the extra wire on the HID 4-wire connector is high current supply to each HID. The extra wires are from F26 (left) and F27 (right) in the engine bay fuse panel.
end of edit
That's all I offer as a non-electrical sort.

HTH,

Chris

Last edited:

xeninworx

Reaction score
What was wrong with the factory headlights that they needed to be replaced?

Sosa

Reaction score
Hey folks,

So I did search...
Working on a 2011 Mustang GT Premium, had to replace the headlights and when I ordered the new set I got projectors.

The main difference at this point is on of the harnesses on the new lights has a 3 pin connection, where there harness coming from my car is a 4 pin.

I will post pics below, *not my pictures.

If I could get lucky, and find an adapter to go from my 4 pin to the 3 pin that would be good.

If not, can anyone tell me what the wiring diagram for my 4 pin connector is?

I can mock something up myself, but I can't find a diagram that will ID those 4 wires!

Thanks for any help!

View attachment 81682

View attachment 81683
What did you end up doing to solve the issue I’m trying to convert my 2012 mustang hid to halogens but I have the same issue that halogens is 3 pin and the cars connector is 4 pin. I have tried looking for adapters but can’t find any online.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Are there no instructions wth the lights? Have you called the company yet?

I'm guessing the company that sold those lights never intended for them to be retrofitted like they're trying to do. These are aftermarket HID housings, made for a halogen spec'd car (3 wire connector), and they're trying to put them in a car that came with HID lighting (which is the 4 wire connector). These are meant to be plug and play into a car that came with oem halogens.

They're doing this probably because the lenses on the original housings are all cloudy and there are very very few companies that make headlight housings for a car that came with HID lighting. You almost have to go OEM, and they want crazy money for them. I had the idea of swapping a halogen lens onto a HID housing, but they're different style/design.

The only reasonable HID housings I've found are an S550 style with LED gill lights that also double as the turn signals. On ebay, they're about $400/pair.

Back