Help! car went into limp mode & threw 7 codes

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Let me start by premising this with what has been done recently. One week ago I installed hot rod cams and a Brenspeed 87 tune. The car drove fine and the cams sounded good. I ran the gas down to 10 miles till empty and then filled up with 93 octane gas and loaded the Brenspeed 93 octane tune they had sent me. I drove the car all week (500+) miles and the car ran great with only two minor exceptions.

1). The car threw a code related to a delay in an 02 sensor which was LT header related. Brenspeed is making a tweek to my tune and will email it to me shortly. I deleted the code and it hasn't returned.

2). All week the car ran fantastic but I noticed that when I was coming to a stop in neutral the idle would surge between 400 and 900 rpm's. Once I actually came to a stop the idle would settle at 750 rpm's and stay there. I talked to Brenspeed and they said it was most likely caused by a dirty throttle body. They recommended that I watch their throttle body cleaning video so I did.

Now on to what happened yesterday. I pulled the intake hose off the throttle body and then removed the throttle body from the manifold. Using a rag and throttle body cleaner I bought from NAPA I cleaned the throttle body which had indeed been filthy. I re-installed the TB and hose and took the car for a test drive. Sure enough the surging issue went away and the car was driving absolutely perfect.

About two hours later I went to a store about 12 miles or so from my house. The car ran great the whole way there. I headed back home and had gone about 10 miles when suddenly my car died. I tried to re-start the car but it wouldn't even try to start like it wasn't getting gas or spark. At first I thought maybe I ran out of gas because I was 25 miles to E when this happened (I was going to run it low and top it off one more time to be sure all 87 octane was gone).

Then I discovered the car would start right up IF I turned the key to the off position for a few seconds first. I got up to 30 mph and the car died again. I turned the key off, waited, re-started and got up to 30 mph again. The car died again and I rinsed and repeated until I got to the gas station where I put in five gallons of 93 octane. I was hoping that would fix the issue but it kept doing it and I had to limp it home the last mile doing the same rinse and repeat I described above. When I got home here is are the codes that were thrown:

P0010: A camshaft position actuator control circuit / open bank 1
P0020: A camshaft position actuator control circuit / open bank 2
P0102: Mass or volume air flow sensor A circuit low
P0135: 02 sensor heater circuit bank 1 sensor 1
P0155: 02 sensor heater circuit bank 2 sensor 1
P0443: EVAP system purge control valve A circuit
P0446: EVAP system vent control circuit

I gotta think this has something to do with the recent cams/tune or more likely the throttle body cleaning and re-assembly. Did I screw something up? Anyone have any idea what's going on with my car right now? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I kinda remember something like this and I think all of these circuits use the same ground or run off of the same fuse or something. I seem to remember a pinched wiring harness by the tranny or a common fuse to check. For some reason the #47 comes to mind. Sorry, memory is pretty foggy at my age.

Last edited:

Onelildude

forum member
Reaction score
I had the same codes pop up when I closed a wiring harness in between the trans and engine...that was a long day, because i had to unbolt the trans again to remove it

hammeron

forum member
Reaction score
carefully inpect the two connectors and wiring that connects to the throttle body, since those were disconnected for the tb removal.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Ive inspected the wires, connectors, o2 sensors. Nothing is jumping out at me. I just dont get it. The car starts but goes right into limp mode. Basically i got a 3600 lb paper weight in my garage.

Thanks for the replies.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I kinda remember something like this and I think all of these circuits use the same ground or run off of the same fuse or something. I seem to remember a pinched wiring harness by the tranny or a common fuse to check. For some reason the #47 comes to mind. Sorry, memory is pretty foggy at my age.

Your memory is better then you think. I just checked fuse 47 and it is indeed blown. I dont have any spare fuses so ill have to go buy some.

But my fear now is that this didnt blow for no reason and that ill keep blowing fuses until the underlying cause is found and fixed.

Ill post back either way.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Check your wiring that go to the O2 sensors. That fuse power the heaters and if they short because they are burnt or isolation wore out they will short and do this.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Your memory is better then you think. I just checked fuse 47 and it is indeed blown. I dont have any spare fuses so ill have to go buy some.

But my fear now is that this didnt blow for no reason and that ill keep blowing fuses until the underlying cause is found and fixed.

Ill post back either way.

Ha! As much as I've smoked in my 50+ years I'm surprised that stuff pops right up out of the fog. Lol.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Well i replaced the fuse and it took less than 30 seconds for it to blow. I"ll look again but the first time i inspected wiring there was nothing that jumped out at me.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
you said you have longtubes, check all the wiring for the o2 sensors since it may be something around there. did you use extension wires for the sensors? were the stock wires modified?

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I found what appears to be the problem. The drivers side 02 extension was touching the header and eventually the heat burned through the casing and then the wires themselves. I have removed the 02 extension and ordered a new pair from AM. Once I get them I'll install a new one on the drivers side and zip tie it well away from the header.

Hopefully that and of course one more fuse will fix me up. Thanks so much to everyone who posted for pointing me in the right direction. It's much appreciated.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Final update. I installed a new 02 extension on the drivers side and made sure it was zip tied well away from the header. Then I double checked the passenger side to make sure it was good. I deleted the codes and fired up the car. That was it. The car didn't throw any more codes and ran like a champ all weekend.

So Thanks again to all who replied.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back