Help - clutch let go, advice needed.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Last night shifting into 3rd I heard a clank and it wouldn't go into gear. After stopping and shutting it off, it would go thru the gears fine but the clutch pedal has little resistance to it.
I drove it home shifting w/o the clutch and had a vibration, which I thought was in the driveline. Today I discover that the vibration is in the engine/clutch as it is out of balance and shakes during light revving while in neutral. It doesn't have a miss, and idles fine, just shakes. I have prothane mounts.
My dad thinks the lining separated from the clutch and is causing the vibration and lack of pedal feel.
Any thoughts, advice? I have a 10k mile trans and slave, as well as a 30k clutch/pressure plate sitting in my garage just haven't had time to install it.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
are you trying to diagnose the issue ?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
So, you've determined it's the clutch. You have a spare clutch. I think the next step is to tear it apart and swap it.

Were you thinking it could be something else?

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
The vibration threw me, but I isolated it to the engine. I thought perhaps the trans puked but it is shifting okay.

Does the clutch lining theory sound right to you?
And I don't have access to a lift so I'll probably get someone to install it for me...

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
The vibration threw me, but I isolated it to the engine. I thought perhaps the trans puked but it is shifting okay.

Does the clutch lining theory sound right to you?
And I don't have access to a lift so I'll probably get someone to install it for me...

Yes it makes sense. The pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel, which always spins with the motor. If the clutch disc came apart, that material will be packed into parts of the pressure plate, causing an imbalance.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Well, sounds like my dad was dead on. He's only been spinning wrenches for 60+ years!
Thanks for the input, I have a local guy who will replace the clutch, slave and trans for $400. Sounds reasonable to me.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back