Help Me Spend Some Money

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
I am going to have approx $16k to dump into my car in a couple weeks(months? LOL). The problem is, it needs everything LOL. Motor (new or rebuild mine), suspension, trans, brakes, clutch/flywheel,,,, you get the idea. Can it be done?

Goals are 600hp/600ft lbs on corn, daily driven, but will see track time (mostly Fontana, must consider the long straight). Don't care about ride quality or nvh, zero fucks. Need tires badly, likely two sets (street and track), so another set of wheels too. You all know how the list grows.

What would you guys do? Drivetrain first? I am getting some "rattle" from the bottom end. Suspension first, then save for engine/trans?

It NEEDS it all, so open to suggestions.

Only things I am set on are; a new GT500 trans, and swapping my KB for some DOB induction.

Note: this is only the initial step of the overhaul, once I get some income rolling in, Ill get to it all. Just where to start.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
$16k?
Calimer built 6060, McLeod RXT, MGW Gen2
Nicely put together 3v with Foxlake heads
Turbo kit (S&H, JPC, Hellion).

I wouldn't mess around with a blower with that kind of budget for just mods.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
$16k?
Calimer built 6060, McLeod RXT, MGW Gen2
Nicely put together 3v with Foxlake heads
Turbo kit (S&H, JPC, Hellion).

I wouldn't mess around with a blower with that kind of budget for just mods.

You think I can get all that within budget?
Can you point me in the direction of a cheap (relatively), nicely built 3v.

Who builds turbo s197s in SoCal? Id consider it, but would want it done right.

Sell it, buy GT500 and done

Mike

Its not worth selling honestly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I would go suspension/wheels tires first.

You can run around at the road course on a stock motor and have a blast if the car handles.

46addict

Reaction score
You can still get Boss rods for under $300 a set. $800 for a set of pistons & rings. A block rebuild & clean up job can run you $1500-2000 if you remove & install the engine yourself.

Then figure another $3500 in a decent suspension & brake setup. $2k for dedicated track tires & wheels.

I don't know what a 6060 goes for but I figure $4k for trans & clutch.

Thats leaves you with about $3k for a blower upgrade, fuel upgrades and tuning. If you look for used parts you can get GT500 pumps and 60lb injectors for $500, and you wont need corn to make 600hp.

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
Its $2k for a Baer front brake upgrade. Dont know what options there are for rears.
Then for suspension:

$450 for used shocks & struts
$200 for springs
$250 for caster camber plates
$160 for panhard bar
$90 for LCAs (stock UCA is fine for road racing, from what I read)

If the OP already has a PHB and LCAs he could come in at <$1k.
Or he can go a completely different route and get coilovers.

Obviously it depends on what he wants. He could spend $800 on a new set of Bilsteins.

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Its $2k for a Baer front brake upgrade. Dont know what options there are for rears.
Then for suspension:

$350 for used shocks & struts
$200 for springs
$160 for panhard bar

Obviously it depends on what he wants. He could spend $700 on a new set of Bilsteins.

He wants to go to the road course. Not Cars & Coffee.:rotflmao:

46addict

Reaction score
Just trying to help him stay under budget. I thought we're talking about a daily driven HPDE car. Not a wheel to wheel racer.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
$3500? LOL:goofy_batman:

Then for suspension:

$450 for used shocks & struts
$200 for springs
$160 for panhard bar

Obviously it depends on what he wants. He could spend $800 on a new set of Bilsteins.

He wants to go to the road course. Not Cars & Coffee.:rotflmao:

Just trying to help him stay under budget. I thought we're talking about a daily driven HPDE car. Not a wheel to wheel racer.

My car is a DD HPDE car, and that's actually more than what I have in my suspension/brake set up. I bought all my parts used (except my Watts link, which I got an unreal deal on during BMR's Black Friday sale last year), and it does just fine at the track. I may not be setting track records with it, but I'm having fun, safely, and I don't have a huge credit card bill to show for it.

Heck, let's be real, if he wanted to, Candy could spend dang near all of his $16K budget on suspension and brakes.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
My car is a DD HPDE car, and that's actually more than what I have in my suspension/brake set up. I bought all my parts used (except my Watts link, which I got an unreal deal on during BMR's Black Friday sale last year), and it does just fine at the track. I may not be setting track records with it, but I'm having fun, safely, and I don't have a huge credit card bill to show for it.

Heck, let's be real, if he wanted to, Candy could spend dang near all of his $16K budget on suspension and brakes.

My point was spend more on suspension and less on power.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a rough budget, and you can spend more or less on any part of the build (so I don't really care that Charlie's buddy's uncle's third cousin can get XXX cheaper), but this is how I'd go about tranforming your car:
Stage 1 - $15K
$1.5K Block work
$1.5K Internals
$4K Tranny
$1K Clutch
$2K Maximum Motorsports sport box
$2K Brembo brake upgrade
$1K Differential
$2K Wheels / Tires

Stage 2 - $6K - $10K
More power!!!! Turbo(s), Intercooler, Meth, Unobtanium

This will take some patience since the power is the cool street cred part. Build a car that will last at the track first, then add the power. That's the main point I'm trying to get across.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
Im taking it all in guys, thanks for the discussion.

I know the suspension is the place to start, just don't know how much longer the motor has left.

That said, there will be no used parts going into this stage of the project, and Bilsteins are on my list.

Note: I have a decent braking setup ready to be installed, stoptech rotors and street/race pads, braided lines. Will do what I want.

46addict

Reaction score
My point was spend more on suspension and less on power.

I was making that point as well. I estimated $10k for suspension/brakes/drivetrain/tires and the leftovers were for engine/blower/fuel. Maybe I should have grouped the list differently.

Im taking it all in guys, thanks for the discussion.

I know the suspension is the place to start, just don't know how much longer the motor has left.

That said, there will be no used parts going into this stage of the project, and Bilsteins are on my list.

Note: I have a decent braking setup ready to be installed, stoptech rotors and street/race pads, braided lines. Will do what I want.

If you already have brakes, that leaves you with cash to spend on the block. You could refresh the internals right away and have less worries about it blowing up.
And down the road you could pull the trigger on a bigger blower.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
If you already have brakes, that leaves you with cash to spend on the block. You could refresh the internals right away and have less worries about it blowing up.
And down the road you could pull the trigger on a bigger blower.

Haha, yeah that train of thought kinda clicked as I typed that out.

I should know this week, the exact amount Ill have to work with. Just did this to get the ideas flowing. She's been neglected for too long.

Somebody posted this a few weeks back,
http://www.ddperformance.com/ba23-new-gt-500-6-speed-07-12/

I think its a good buy, if there are any left.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Somebody posted this a few weeks back,
http://www.ddperformance.com/ba23-new-gt-500-6-speed-07-12/

I think its a good buy, if there are any left.

That is a really good deal...but you can find a used 6060 for $1500 no problem. For Calimer to build his 1k hp version, it's $1600 plus shipping back and forth. There is someone on Facebook selling a 6060 with Spec P trim for $1500. That's crazy cheap lol. A used MGW can be had for $300-350. I would get a new clutch, but you can send in the Spec to be rebuilt.

As for the 3v, if you only want 600 whp the Boss 302 rods will be fine with a good ARP bolt. Manley coated pistons come in around $900 with rings. There are some ported Ford Racing heads on Facebook right now as well for $1800, low mileage. Assembly and the remaining timing equipment would be another $2-3k but after engine and trans, you've still got plenty of money left.

Suspension wise, grab this. It is plenty of suspension for anything short of a W2W car. http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=340&products_id=790

Then do a True Trac, coated gears, and some Strange/Moser axles. Boy, this is fun to spend other peoples money :)

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
That is a really good deal...but you can find a used 6060 for $1500 no problem. For Calimer to build his 1k hp version, it's $1600 plus shipping back and forth. There is someone on Facebook selling a 6060 with Spec P trim for $1500. That's crazy cheap lol. A used MGW can be had for $300-350. I would get a new clutch, but you can send in the Spec to be rebuilt.

As for the 3v, if you only want 600 whp the Boss 302 rods will be fine with a good ARP bolt. Manley coated pistons come in around $900 with rings. There are some ported Ford Racing heads on Facebook right now as well for $1800, low mileage. Assembly and the remaining timing equipment would be another $2-3k but after engine and trans, you've still got plenty of money left.

Suspension wise, grab this. It is plenty of suspension for anything short of a W2W car. http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=340&products_id=790

Then do a True Trac, coated gears, and some Strange/Moser axles. Boy, this is fun to spend other peoples money :)

I know right!

I've had that Vorshlag kit on my radar for some time. Gonna consider BMR's options as well. Griggs has a reasonably priced street/track setup, too.

I hadn't considered, but Ill need a commuter car, too. So there's no "hurry".

Im not active on FB, looks like I need to be. At least for shopping.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back