Help please, Screech when decelerating

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
Hey fellas.
I am freaked out right now because of this noise. Basically stock 12 gt (offroad h-pipe, no tune), I am hearing this horrible high pitched screech when decelerating from 1st and 2nd from high rpm (around 4k ish).
I am due for an oil change, checked my dipstick and I've got good oil level.
Sounds as if it's coming from the right rear, but I'm sure the sound is just bouncing and reflecting from that direction. I don't want to recreate it too many times, but it's recreate - able by revving up and just letting off the gas in gear, 1st or 2nd.
Could it be the transmission? Just turned 36k miles.
Any help is appreciated, thank you!

pics06gtstang

forum member
Reaction score
shit that could be anything , is exhaust new , reason i ask is when i put
a new cat back the pipe it self was defective ( would get real hot ) welded the dammed 02 sensor to pipe
magnaflo agreed it was defective and gave me new setup and that load noise went away . can ya grap a sound clip
of it ?

Last edited:

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
ugh, that's what I'm afraid of, that it could be anything.
i'll try to grab a sound clip, mount my gopro somewhere under my car.

the offroad h-pipe was purchased used, nothing else was changed out, stock exhaust.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The noise on,y happens in first or second?

A strech but could be the belt or a idler pulley

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
i think you may be right, it sounds just like a belt. it doesn't sound like tob noise, I'm going to try to get a sound clip.

I actually heard it last night after I got off work. started the car and warmed up for a few minutes, then pulled out of the parking spot and heard the screech but softer. it definitely came from the engine bay.
other than that, I couldn't replicate the noise last night.

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
so i've confirmed it's the belt. not sure which one, but no sound clip because it was obvious.
it looked kinda glazed, but not horrible.
has anyone else had issues with the belt going prematurely? i have 37k miles.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The belt is the symptom, not the cause. The primary issue will be coming from one of your pulleys, perhaps an idler pulley bearing going out. This is not an unusual issue. Start by removing the belt and checking each pulley by hand, trying to wiggle them to see if there is any slop. Then spin each idler pulley by hand to see if one has an unusual amount of drag. 80% of the time you will find the root cause with just this simple procedure.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back