Help...Reverse Camera Wiring

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a new HU (Android off brand) and wired in a reverse camera.

If I have the video cable plugged in the the "Camera" RCA input, nothing happens when I go into reverse or if I select video through the HU AUX option.

If I plug in the video cable in the "AUX" RCA input, the camera works fine when manually selecting AUX in the HU and putting the car in reverse.

I contacted the company and they told me to plug the video cable into the "AUX" RCA input. They also sent me this pic so I could get a visual.

The picture shows a reverse wire in the stereo harness connected to a wire coming off the Video cable. Interestingly, at the bottom of the picture there's a wire going into the video cable which is labeled 12V. Am I correct in assuming the reverse wire in the harness has to be connected to the reverse light to activate the HU to automatically switch to the camera?

I can run it to the SJB, but just checking to see if I'm reading this right. TIA...

Attachments

• camera.jpg
    camera.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 17

bcb06gt

Reaction score
The 12V for the reverse light should trigger the reverse input wire to switch the video on the HU to "camera" when it senses 12V. The only thing that seems odd is them telling you to use aux and not camera input.

What is your power source for the camera? I am guessing the reverse lights since you said it works in reverse with the aux port and manual selection.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Power source is from the reverse lights both for the camera and the reverse signal for the stereo. The company did state the video cable goes to the AUX input and not camera...weird.

I checked all the connections again and all are good.

As a test, I disconnected the Reverse cable to the stereo and with the car in reverse I get a video signal on the screen by manually selecting the AUX input option (first pic) on the screen. When I connect the Reverse cable again, and I put the car in reverse, the stereo does automatically switch to video, but I still get the message that no Video is not found (second pic). It makes me believe it's a setting within the stereo itself and not a connection problem.

Or, does it matter that both the camera power and reverse signal power are coming from the same wire? I wouldn't think so, but grasping at straws here.

Attachments

• 20150522_072437.jpg
    20150522_072437.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20150522_072359.jpg
    20150522_072359.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 7

bcb06gt

Reaction score
For that second test, did you move the camera video cable to the Camera input or leave it in the Aux port? It should be in the Camera port.

Mine are connected to the same reverse lamp wire.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For that second test, did you move the camera video cable to the Camera input or leave it in the Aux port? It should be in the Camera port.

Mine are connected to the same reverse lamp wire.

Ding Ding Ding....we have a winner!! I did not move the video cable to the camera input on that second test. So I just got back into town and did so...and it works! I had done so much trouble shooting that I lost track of what I had tried. LOL.... Obviously the instructions from the seller were wrong and I've advised them of this.

Thanks so much for the fresh set of eyes...It's the simple things that keep us going in circles!! :rock::rock:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back