HELP with Mustang

Lucky McNamara

Reaction score
hey, i’ve been reading on the forums and can’t find an exact answer to what problem i have. I just bought my mustang gt 2005 and it was fine for the 2 hr drive home, i don’t drive it often and i’ve been fixing it up, i’ve had it for around 8 months, the next time i drove it it threw up some codes and i’ve been fixing them, i got a new alternator and replaced the driver side camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, cleaned all connectors, my car is still throwing up po345/po300/po349/po340 code. the car will take a while to warm up like 20mins or something and start to knock/tick, it is very high speed ticking. it runs fine while ticking but will only tick when it is under pressure of the gas pedal, it doesn’t happen when coasting but will sometimes continue while coasting after going fast. it just started to run rough like 2 different times today randomly while ticking. i have been trying different things to fix these codes but po300 just popped up today and so it might be a lead to something else not really related to the other codes but not sure.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
I wonder if you have something wrong with one of the time gears like this one that had a couple of the vanes broken which work with the Variable Cam Timing system to advance and retard the cam.
250b90d5442192cddf14f2b8d428312c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Deathstang II

Reaction score
Yup sounds to me you have the dreaded cam phaser problem found on these poor 3v's. They're worse on the 5.4 tritons. I can't say for certain though. It's either that or bad lifters maybe. Hard to tell without a video to hear the noise, but if you do decide to replace the cam phasers DO NOT! get aftermarket ones, go OEM or have fun doing the job again in another 10k miles.

Rick Simons

Reaction score
Yup sounds to me you have the dreaded cam phaser problem found on these poor 3v's. They're worse on the 5.4 tritons. I can't say for certain though. It's either that or bad lifters maybe. Hard to tell without a video to hear the noise, but if you do decide to replace the cam phasers DO NOT! get aftermarket ones, go OEM or have fun doing the job again in another 10k miles.
What he said.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
How many miles on the motor? Any mods to be aware of? Did PO have service records?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back