High Mileage 4.6

DILYSI Dave

forum member
Reaction score
What is a typical lifespan for a 4.6 3V that is taken care of? I know in the Honda world, 200k is easy, and 300k is not unheard of. My last Ford was a 5.8L E350 that was running fine at 200k when I sold it. Different engine family though. Does anyone have experience with piling the miles on the S197's though?

Reason - Found a 175k mile 2006 that is pretty damn cheap and tempting.

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
Junkyard motors for the 3valves are cheap. At that mileage you start worrying about things besides the motor itself like bushings, dampers, all the other wear and tear items.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
How cheap is 'cheap and tempting?". If the car is truly clean and the deal is that good, just pick it up. 3V motors aren't horribly expensive from what I've seen or just pick it up as a project car and build the motor in it.

DILYSI Dave

forum member
Reaction score
Cheap and tempting - Asking $9500 OBO, and trying to beat trade in. If I can get it for $8k, I'm tempted.

Black_GT

SIIXVII
Reaction score
Cheap and tempting - Asking $9500 OBO, and trying to beat trade in. If I can get it for $8k, I'm tempted.

I once saw a S197 (GT) for sale for $10k w/95k miles. Dont remember if it was dealer or private party. I say if your find is in any way doubtable, then pass and keep an eye out for another great deal, they're out there every so often.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
I once saw a S197 (GT) for sale for $10k w/95k miles. Dont remember if it was dealer or private party. I say if your find is in any way doubtable, then pass and keep an eye out for another great deal, they're out there every so often.

Paid $15,500 OTD for mine with 38K miles. Granted, I had a trade that was a 'wash' and essentially paid no taxes, but still. $6000ish worth 130K extra miles?

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score

Black_GT

SIIXVII
Reaction score
Paid $15,500 OTD for mine with 38K miles. Granted, I had a trade that was a 'wash' and essentially paid no taxes, but still. $6000ish worth 130K extra miles?

You got a great deal. Paid $18k OTD for mine w/15k miles on it!

Exactly what I'm talking about right here /\ :thumb:

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
$6000ish worth 130K extra miles?

Hell no it is not! That is way way too much even at $8K. Pass, no.. RUN. $6500 maybe and only if for a purpose like a auto-x or drag car with intent to build it anyway. That think is just a canvas..JMHO

I bet the dealer offered $4,000 or less (actual cash value, not some loan scheme or shell game)

Last edited:

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
I would offer $5000 or tell him to gtfo

Some people are dumb and too proud. My mother just offered a guy the payoff on his house that is foreclosed. He has like a couple weeks before it is gone and he has to be out. Instead of taking her offer he thinks it is "worth more". Yeah, but your losing it... instead of keeping the foreclosure offf the his credit he is going to let the bank have it and totally wreck his credit.

When I car shop I never trade in. Once I actually talked the dealer down to their lowest they were willing to accept after I said I did not have a trade. Had my sister bring the car in to see what they would offer her. Got x amount. Later, for kicks I asked how much for my trade lol (same car). They offered me the same "amount" eventually after I came clean on my little trick. They finally offered me what they offered her but said they would have to ask more for the new car (the difference). WTF? People really fall for that? So, lets make sure to finance more and pay more interest. I will never get people and thier willingness to throw themselves at the dealers like they do.

If the owner of the car you are speaking of is like the majority of the idiots out there then $5,000 probably won't do it. They will make it "look" like he has a higher down payment (by claiming even "more" of a down payment, which may allow the buyer to finance a more expensive car, when really the "difference" is tacked on the price of the original negotiation. Not... "actual cash value".

Gotta love fucktards...

Last edited:

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Some people are dumb and too proud. My mother just offered a guy the payoff on his house that is foreclosed. He has like a couple weeks before it is gone and he has to be out. Instead of taking her offer he thinks it is "worth more". Yeah, but your losing it... instead of keeping the foreclosure offf the his credit he is going to let the bank have it and totally wreck his credit.

When I car shop I never trade in. Once I actually talked the dealer down to their lowest they were willing to accept after I said I did not have a trade. Had my sister bring the car in to see what they would offer her. Got x amount. Later, for kicks I asked how much for my trade lol (same car). They offered me the same "amount" but said they would have to ask more for the new car. WTF? People really fall for that? So, lets make sure to finance more and pay more interest. I will never get people and thier willingness to throw themselves at the dealers like they do.

If the owner of the car you are speaking of is like the majority of the idiots out there then $5,000 probably won't do it. They will make it "look" like he has a higher down payment allowing them to finance a more expensive car, when really the "difference" is tacked on the price of the original negotiation. Not... "actual cash value".

Gotta love fucktards...

That goes both ways. I have plenty of fucktards that I'll offer $1000 blower deal on and my buy rate on financing that want more off or still think I'm fucking them somehow.

(Car Salesman here)

mikeyfitz

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Yup, pretty much how it goes. Fucking crazy.

But some salesman dont always pitch that bs.
I didnt fall for their shit when I traded in my car. Basically handed me car for free it feels like haha.

First salesman was trying to screw me, 2nd one made it impossible to pass up. Same dealer too

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
My car is a 07 with 156k miles and it drives better than any other GT I drove IMO. Maintaining your car often really helps out in the end...

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
A car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
TTOTD??

LOL. $9500 is a steal? I've passed up $6500 for an 05 GT with 150k miles.
I bought an 07 GT with 150k or so for ~$9000....

To me, mileage doesn't matter. I'll pay less for a higher mileage GT. Worst case, you replace the motor for ~$1500. Unless you're thinking resale value, then mileage isn't an issue on a car that has been well maintained. Chances are you will replace most of the suspension components anyway.

Last edited:

pwd72s

forum member
Reaction score
My car is a 07 with 156k miles and it drives better than any other GT I drove IMO. Maintaining your car often really helps out in the end...

Thanks for that. Gives me hope that my 11,500 miles '09 has a bit more to go.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back