Hole in Timing Cover

Adomis63

Reaction score
I had my timing cover and valve covers cleaned/blasted not too long ago and the guy cleaning them up noticed where one of the idler pulleys bolts in was popped through to the back side. It otherwise looks good, no cracks. Is there anything special I should do about this when I put it back together? I'm guessing perhaps the previous owner might've put the wrong bolt in the wrong hole or over torqued it. I didn't notice it before I had it cleaned, but I wasn't looking too hard at it.

IMG_0263.JPG

07 Boss

Reaction score
You can always just use some thread sealer to keep it from leaking if there is enough threads for the bolt to grab. The timing covers are not cast that well. I broke off a boss for one of my pulley bolts with not a lot of force. I had to get a new timing cover but then I was able to paint it and put some really cool pulleys on there.

Painted the cover with black crinkle coat to match my valve covers.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Check to see if the threads are damaged. They may have used a longer bolt intentionally. I would be fishing in the oil pan for the aluminum chunks.

Lime1Gt

Reaction score
A proper welding shop should be able to build it back up for you.

tabstang

Reaction score
I agree with Iceman62, replace the cover.

07 Boss, that's a sweet looking engine bay, did you pull the valve covers to paint? BTW I have the same blower, I painted the coolant crossover tube and alternator, I want to do the valve covers too. I used black wheel paint, worked great.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I agree with Iceman62, replace the cover.

07 Boss, that's a sweet looking engine bay, did you pull the valve covers to paint? BTW I have the same blower, I painted the coolant crossover tube and alternator, I want to do the valve covers too. I used black wheel paint, worked great.

No I bought the frpp laser etched covers.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back